Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think it's been a pretty interesting thread. I only know about the bc I've used myself in the past & the ones close friend's have. I've appreciated getting some different ideas/views. I can't imagine the OP is going to take any one testimony as gospel, but there's no harm in kicking some ideas around. My personal grumble is when everyone used to tell me TOM regulates after pregnancy. Mmm, 15yrs after the event & I'm still waiting on that one.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I used the Sympto-Thermal Method to avoid pregnancy for 5 years before conceiving my baby girl. (planned pregnancy)

http://www.tcoyf.com/

You don't need synthetic hormones. Like some of the others have said, I used hormones for several years before stumbling upon "fertility awareness" as a much better option. It takes more effort, but the benefits are worth the effort.
    My best friend's mother is a registered nurse with a bachelor's degree who used the "rhythm" method. She has four kids.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

Not even an option for women with heavier periods. Did you know that?

False.
    No, it's not false. Mirena has hormones, therefore she is not talking about Mirena.

The copper IUD causes heavier periods and therefore is not an option for women who already have heavy flows. I know this because I looked into it for myself and actualy researched and discussed it with my doctor.
    Mirena, for most women, stops periods. Its great...so not sure if the statement that they don't give it to women with heavy periods is true.
    BUT, like PPs mentioned, not sure if they let you get it if you don't have a child. One of my friends doesn't even want kids and they still won't let her get it. She's only 27 so it might depend on your age too.
    The poster who recommended an IUD was railing hard against artificial hormones. Mirena has hormones, which means she meant the COPPER IUD, which makes periods heavier and is NOT used with women who naturally have heavy periods.

Mirena does, as you said, stop periods. I had Mirena. I could not get the copper IUD because of heavy periods.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I used the Sympto-Thermal Method to avoid pregnancy for 5 years before conceiving my baby girl. (planned pregnancy)

You don't need synthetic hormones. Like some of the others have said, I used hormones for several years before stumbling upon "fertility awareness" as a much better option. It takes more effort, but the benefits are worth the effort.
    My best friend's mother is a registered nurse with a bachelor's degree who used the "rhythm" method. She has four kids.

Rhythm and Sympto Thermal method are not the same.

And just because someone has four kids, doesn't mean that they didn't plan those kids. I have five, all planned. And yes, we use Natural Family Planning. We're not planning any more babies and have been pregnancy free for the past 4.75 years. The sympto-thermal method works fine (99% effective when used properly, just as effective as BC pill and better effectiveness than some, ie condoms, and less side effects than BC pill).
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have been on Apri for more than 10 years and I've had minimal issues, no pregnancy.

That being said, I am STRONGLY considering ditching it.
  • rml_16
    Options

And just because someone has four kids, doesn't mean that they didn't plan those kids. I have five, all planned. And yes, we use Natural Family Planning. We're not planning any more babies and have been pregnancy free for the past 4.75 years. The sympto-thermal method works fine (99% effective when used properly, just as effective as BC pill and better effectiveness than some, ie condoms, and less side effects than BC pill).
    I've known these people for 35 years, since my friend (the oldest) was 3 months old. Her mother and my mother are best friends. She did not plan any of her children.

I'm pretty sure an RN is VERY familiar with her cycle.

If you're not using BC and you're having sex you have a much higher chance of an unwanted pregnancy than if you use BC properly. So if you're OK with a possible unwanted pregnancy, use "natural family planning" and good luck.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

I've known these people for 35 years, since my friend (the oldest) was 3 months old. Her mother and my mother are best friends. She did not plan any of her children.

I'm pretty sure an RN is VERY familiar with her cycle.

If you're not using BC and you're having sex you have a much higher chance of an unwanted pregnancy than if you use BC properly. So if you're OK with a possible unwanted pregnancy, use "natural family planning" and good luck.

I have no doubt that your RN friend is familiar with her cycle too. But if she was using Rhythm method, it's not very reliable. Sympto-thermal method is not the same as rhythm and is 99% effective. The sympto-thermal method is not the same as simply "not using BC". (BTW I'm a pharmacist, not a doctor, but I am practitioner of Natural Family Planning. I actually used to teach the method to other interested couples. I can assure you that t is effective and has comparable rates of effectiveness with the BC pill.)
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use implanon which once it settled down i have found awesome. No periods no mood swings. its been great for me!
  • trophylicious
    trophylicious Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of BC you prefer, but I love Loestrin 24 Fe. It's days 24 days of active pills with extra iron b/c my monthly had me on the border of anemia; there is also a non Fe (iron) version. There is also a generic called Microgestin Fe that I switched to b/c my insurance copay was not friendly to my wallet.

My decision to go on BC was one I did not take lightly, but because my cycle made me so physically ill on a monthly basis I needed to feel like a human being. This definitely gave me my life back. I'm talking I couldn't walk, sit, eat, or sleep. Over the years I was sent home from school and later work b/c I looked and felt like death. Finally talked to the gyn and the Loestrin Fe is the first thing he prescribed and it did the trick! For me and a few of my girlfriends, we didn't see any weight gain.

I've been on this pill for over 4 years now.

Best bet is to talk to your gyn. He/she knows your medical history and might be able to recommend something that is perfect for your body!
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

False.
    No, it's not false. Mirena has hormones, therefore she is not talking about Mirena.

The copper IUD causes heavier periods and therefore is not an option for women who already have heavy flows. I know this because I looked into it for myself and actualy researched and discussed it with my doctor.
    Mirena, for most women, stops periods. Its great...so not sure if the statement that they don't give it to women with heavy periods is true.
    BUT, like PPs mentioned, not sure if they let you get it if you don't have a child. One of my friends doesn't even want kids and they still won't let her get it. She's only 27 so it might depend on your age too.
    The poster who recommended an IUD was railing hard against artificial hormones. Mirena has hormones, which means she meant the COPPER IUD, which makes periods heavier and is NOT used with women who naturally have heavy periods.

Mirena does, as you said, stop periods. I had Mirena. I could not get the copper IUD because of heavy periods.

I actually said "bc is horrible for your body" however most IUDs aren't as bad as pills.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Woah, step out for a day, come back to pages and pages. No, I am not going out and using something because someone on the internet said it was a miracle for them. It's just interesting to hear different experiences and to learn about forms of birth control I have yet to learn about. Like I said, I have only ever used condoms and Depo, so thank you ladies for sharing your stories with me!

And no, angry ladies of the internet, I am not getting on birth control because a man wants me to do. I am getting on it because I PERSONALLY want to. I have naturally really irregular cycles and it would be nice to not bleed every other week. It's one giant hassle that I've had since I started my period.

Plus, sex without condoms feels infinitely better. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

False.

There are two kinds of IUDS commonly discussed:
    A "copper" one, that makes periods heavier but doesn't have artificial hormones
    Mirena, which makes periods lighter, but has artificial hormones.
    I was given Mirena without having a child.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD,,,love it! I wouldn't go back to having to take a pill everyday.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    After giving birth in May, I just got my tubes tied. Saves a hell of a lot of hassle. I don't have to worry about missing a pill, forgetting to insert the ring, a broken condom, or weight gain. My husband and I can have sex whenever and as much as we want. No baby to worry about.

Ladies, tie your tubes if your done having kids. It makes the sex so much better.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    After giving birth in May, I just got my tubes tied. Saves a hell of a lot of hassle. I don't have to worry about missing a pill, forgetting to insert the ring, a broken condom, or weight gain. My husband and I can have sex whenever and as much as we want. No baby to worry about.

Ladies, tie your tubes if your done having kids. It makes the sex so much better.

After baby #2 sometime in the future... my fiancé has agreed to the snip snip. What a guy!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Depends on the person. I gave up birth control this year bc it was messing with my hormones and causing severe chest pains. My dr told me to get off. Everyone reacts different. I was on a low hormone pill. Come to find out a girl on my mfp friends list who id only 29 had a stroke when she was on the same pill this year. Just talk to your dr.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I avoid all hormonal birth control (including the Mirena IUD, which I tried).
    To me, the side effects outweigh the "convenience".

I wish I had never used hormonal BC, to be honest.

Same here.

It took me a long, long time to realize that the BC was why I was so exhausted all the time. That and the fact that my hormones were so wacked out I just didn't want that any more.

same for me
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I gave up birth control this year bc it was messing with my hormones and causing severe chest pains. My dr told me to get off. Everyone reacts different. I was on a low hormone pill. Come to find out a girl on my mfp friends list who id only 29 had a stroke when she was on the same pill this year. Just talk to your dr.

I had been on the pill (can't remember the brand now!) for a few years until it started giving me severe migraines - which can be a sign of an increased risk of stroke, came off that! So was hormone free for a couple of years before I went on the implanon implant, which I love (on my third one), honestly everyone reacts differently and defo get advice from you doctor and try different things to find something that fits you best.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Sympto-Thermal Method and "rhythm" method are actually very different. Unfortunately, even many healthcare professionals are not educated in the differences. My own ob/gyn was not familiar with the differences, either. I'd be happy to describe them further via PM if you'd like, to try and avoid totally hijacking the OP's thread :-)
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    P&P method works. (Pull and Pray)

For all those touting the pull out method, you do know that pre-cum...the stuff that you are putting in the girl before your pull out and full on "explosion", does carry sperm and can cause pregnancy right?