Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    TGIF LLCers! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: (and that's only water in those cups!!) :laugh:

Mrs. N- Great loss on induction! :flowerforyou: And even better staying strong while on vaca! Sodium is fairly easy to control when you're at home...but eating out? That's just awful! I don't even want to think about the amount of sodium that are in some of the things we eat at our favorite restaurants! And I second sassie's question-are you going to stay on induction a bit longer?

Thanks Caliecat for posting the recipe! Sounds good! But does it freeze or refrigerate well?

Morning Lioness! It's a beautiful day here in VA! Our humidity is GONE! :happy: Your menu looks really good! Well, minus the cabbage! :laugh: Not really my thing!

Welcome mojogurl!! We :heart: good carbs! I love oatmeal myself...but have been wanting to try steel cut oats. Lioness, I think it was you that mentioned that to me? Still haven't found them. Thanks for posting the article! Going to read it later today! We're a fun group of low carbers! :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    TGIF LLCers! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: (and that's only water in those cups!!) :laugh:

Mrs. N- Great loss on induction! :flowerforyou: And even better staying strong while on vaca! Sodium is fairly easy to control when you're at home...but eating out? That's just awful! I don't even want to think about the amount of sodium that are in some of the things we eat at our favorite restaurants! And I second sassie's question-are you going to stay on induction a bit longer?

Thanks Caliecat for posting the recipe! Sounds good! But does it freeze or refrigerate well?

Morning Lioness! It's a beautiful day here in VA! Our humidity is GONE! :happy: Your menu looks really good! Well, minus the cabbage! :laugh: Not really my thing!

Welcome mojogurl!! We :heart: good carbs! I love oatmeal myself...but have been wanting to try steel cut oats. Lioness, I think it was you that mentioned that to me? Still haven't found them. Thanks for posting the article! Going to read it later today! We're a fun group of low carbers! :smile:

Yes, steel cut oats is the way to go!!

What part of VA are you in? I lived in Newport News for 15 years. I moved back to Illinois (my home state) in 2008. My husband loves it here and he was born and raised in Virginia.........
  • Poot1971
    Poot1971 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome Poot!

So, I just gotta ask - are you a fan of Ron White? Just wonderin - he calls his son "Poot" in his comedy act - your name made me giggle just thinking about it!

Great group of gals here - we've all run into some negativity in other threads about Livin Low Carb - and that's okay - they're entitled to their opinion, and we're entitled to ours! Here is a place you can come where you won't be judged!!!!

My husband is a fan and began calling me that after we watched him:blushing:
  • saverys_gal
    Options

What part of VA are you in? I lived in Newport News for 15 years. I moved back to Illinois (my home state) in 2008. My husband loves it here and he was born and raised in Virginia.........

Where in the grocery can I find steel cut oats and how do I prepare them?

NO WAY! I was born in Newport News! :laugh: Grew up in Smithfield, spent a few years in DC, then a few years in Northern VA (God help me) and now my hubby and I live in Richmond, not too far from where he grew up. Whereabouts is your hubby from?
  • July24Lioness
    Options

NO WAY! I was born in Newport News! :laugh: Grew up in Smithfield, spent a few years in DC, then a few years in Northern VA (God help me) and now my hubby and I live in Richmond, not too far from where he grew up. Whereabouts is your hubby from?

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? Or a Harris Teeter? Harris Teeter carries the Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. Put them in a crockpot and let them cook over night............

Then you'll have breakfast for all week. Add a few berries, pack of stevia and a splash of heavy cream and it is a heavenly breakfast..........

Well, my husband was born in Nansemond County Hospital.............went to school for a while in Windsor. His mom lived in Smithfield for a lot of years. My hubby's sister graduated from Smithfield Highschool............

He went to live with his dad and stepmom when he was in the 7th grade, so he moved to Newport News. Graduated from Warwick Highschool...........
  • saverys_gal
    Options

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? Or a Harris Teeter? Harris Teeter carries the Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. Put them in a crockpot and let them cook over night............

Then you'll have breakfast for all week. Add a few berries, pack of stevia and a splash of heavy cream and it is a heavenly breakfast..........

Well, my husband was born in Nansemond County Hospital.............went to school for a while in Windsor. His mom lived in Smithfield for a lot of years. My hubby's sister graduated from Smithfield Highschool............

He went to live with his dad and stepmom when he was in the 7th grade, so he moved to Newport News. Graduated from Warwick Highschool...........

I have TJ's but not convenient to me and don't have a Teeter. However, my local grocery does carry a HUGE selection of the Bob's Red Mill products-I got the Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed when I made the MIM. I'll have to check those out next week-thanks for the info! That might be the way to finally get me to eat a real breakfast!

What a small world we live in! I went to school in Surry but spent my high school years in Petersburg at a specialty school. Pretty nifty when you can "meet" people on the net who have lived and traveled where you have! :smile:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    LIONESS: Good to “see” you ! Come back and post anytime – How are you doing on HCG? And your menu today looks YUMMY!

PROFJAN: Depends on what you’re using the bananas for. If you’re just eating them cuz you enjoy them, can’t help you there – but if you’re using them to flavor things like LC muffins or MIMs, try some artificial banana flavoring – just a tiny bit goes a long way in muffins! If you’re eating them to up your potassium – I posted a while back a list of alternative vegetables that are higher in potassium yet still LC friendly – it’s on this thread somewhere. If you would like the original list, let me know and I’ll find it and msg it to you. Good to see you!

SASSIE: Good to see that scale is movin again! Sounds like both you and Hubby are having great success so far – isn’t it so motivating???

MARIE (CALIECAT): I think I might have to try that cake this weekend – is Jay Robb’s protein whey based or soy based, do you know? I have both kinds at home, want to make sure I use the right one….

MRSNEUMANN: Glad you liked the MIMs! I haven’t tried them with cream cheese on top, will have to try that this weekend, YUM! And WTG on the loss these two weeks! You’re getting closer to your goal!

MAKEITALLSUE: C’mon back anytime!

MOJOGURL: Welcome! LOVED the article! Great information there – EVERYONE, if you haven’t taken time to read it – please do, it’s worth it! Thanks Mojogurl for posting the link!

POOT: I knew it, I just knew it about the Ron White thing. My hubby and I LOVE to watch him, even repeats of his shows – he’s HILARIOUS! How are you doing today? Staying on plan?

SAVERY: In my grocery store, the steel cut oats are in the organic food section along with other cereals. I’ve heard they’re more of a pain to cook, but have no personal experience with them – but I know Lioness has, for sure, maybe others on here. Let us know how they are!

LC BASHING ON MFP IN RESPONSE TO NET CARB THREAD: Personally, that is why I don’t do a heck of a lot of reading of a lot of other threads on here, guys – but also because I work two jobs and just plain don’t have the time. So far, we’re lucky that none of the bashers have come onto our thread. If they do, I will be reporting them to management for harassment, and I’ll keep reporting them until they learn to stay away from here.

I respect their right to their opinions, and expect the same in return. It really steams me :mad: :mad: :mad: sometimes how some people just plain judge anyone who thinks differently than they do. As long as they leave us alone, they can post whatever they want elsewhere. I won’t waste the energy on trying to convince them of the validity of this WOE – because that’s what it is – a waste of time, because many people are just rabidly against anything outside their nutritional comfort zone.

That being said – there are a lot of trolls on this site – people who have nothing better to do than to post inflammatory comments on threads just to get people all riled up – and they know what buttons to push on all of us. Don’t give them the satisfaction!

This is a GREAT GROUP, people, and I for one am just super happy to have “met” all of you! Posting here and following everyone’s progress is the highlight of my day – THANK YOU for being there for me and everyone else on this thread! :love: :love: :love:
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    LIONESS: Good to “see” you ! Come back and post anytime – How are you doing on HCG? And your menu today looks YUMMY!

PROFJAN: Depends on what you’re using the bananas for. If you’re just eating them cuz you enjoy them, can’t help you there – but if you’re using them to flavor things like LC muffins or MIMs, try some artificial banana flavoring – just a tiny bit goes a long way in muffins! If you’re eating them to up your potassium – I posted a while back a list of alternative vegetables that are higher in potassium yet still LC friendly – it’s on this thread somewhere. If you would like the original list, let me know and I’ll find it and msg it to you. Good to see you!

SASSIE: Good to see that scale is movin again! Sounds like both you and Hubby are having great success so far – isn’t it so motivating???

MARIE (CALIECAT): I think I might have to try that cake this weekend – is Jay Robb’s protein whey based or soy based, do you know? I have both kinds at home, want to make sure I use the right one….

MRSNEUMANN: Glad you liked the MIMs! I haven’t tried them with cream cheese on top, will have to try that this weekend, YUM! And WTG on the loss these two weeks! You’re getting closer to your goal!

MAKEITALLSUE: C’mon back anytime!

MOJOGURL: Welcome! LOVED the article! Great information there – EVERYONE, if you haven’t taken time to read it – please do, it’s worth it! Thanks Mojogurl for posting the link!

POOT: I knew it, I just knew it about the Ron White thing. My hubby and I LOVE to watch him, even repeats of his shows – he’s HILARIOUS! How are you doing today? Staying on plan?

SAVERY: In my grocery store, the steel cut oats are in the organic food section along with other cereals. I’ve heard they’re more of a pain to cook, but have no personal experience with them – but I know Lioness has, for sure, maybe others on here. Let us know how they are!

LC BASHING ON MFP IN RESPONSE TO NET CARB THREAD: Personally, that is why I don’t do a heck of a lot of reading of a lot of other threads on here, guys – but also because I work two jobs and just plain don’t have the time. So far, we’re lucky that none of the bashers have come onto our thread. If they do, I will be reporting them to management for harassment, and I’ll keep reporting them until they learn to stay away from here.

I respect their right to their opinions, and expect the same in return. It really steams me :mad: :mad: :mad: sometimes how some people just plain judge anyone who thinks differently than they do. As long as they leave us alone, they can post whatever they want elsewhere. I won’t waste the energy on trying to convince them of the validity of this WOE – because that’s what it is – a waste of time, because many people are just rabidly against anything outside their nutritional comfort zone.

That being said – there are a lot of trolls on this site – people who have nothing better to do than to post inflammatory comments on threads just to get people all riled up – and they know what buttons to push on all of us. Don’t give them the satisfaction!

This is a GREAT GROUP, people, and I for one am just super happy to have “met” all of you! Posting here and following everyone’s progress is the highlight of my day – THANK YOU for being there for me and everyone else on this thread! :love: :love: :love:

AWWWWWWWWW! :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: I'm happy to have "met" all of you guys too!! Resalyn, you said it very well! I'm pretty sick of all the low carb bashing...I very rarely respond to the threads but I got involved in a couple the other day just because they made me so damn mad. People just have no understanding of how LC eating works and think it's the worst thing out there, so when you try and give them the basic info for it you just get bashed into the ground. It's just not even worth wasting you breath over! Hopefully those nasty people stay out of our happy group! :drinker:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Resalyn -

Seems to be that HCG is the only way I can successfully see a significant weight loss..........and I am eating very, very clean. My doctor is supervising me and she has read that the HCG will help to shrink the pituitary tumor also. Praying on that one........

Jay Robb protein powder is either egg white, whey or rice protein. There is a choice and it is sweetened with Stevia............it is all natural and very good for you and tastes great too!!

I have turned a lot of people on this site onto Jay Robb protein...........

Now as far as the trolls and other inflammatory remarks...........yes, it pushes my buttons, I can't help it...........

Also, for those that told me I don't need to be here because this is a calorie counting website, that is simply not true. 2 of my "friends" posted this to me on my home page.

This site is not a calorie counting site. It is a diet and fitness site designed to be flexible enough for any plAn that someone chooses to do. Whether it is low carb, low calorie, low fat, not watching calories at all, etc…………….There is room for everyone here, not just the calorie counters.

That really hurt my feelings as one of the posters that said maybe I need to re-think my membership to this site because it is a calorie counting site is someone that posts on this thread.
  • saverys_gal
    Options

Resalyn -

Seems to be that HCG is the only way I can successfully see a significant weight loss..........and I am eating very, very clean. My doctor is supervising me and she has read that the HCG will help to shrink the pituitary tumor also. Praying on that one........

Jay Robb protein powder is either egg white, whey or rice protein. There is a choice and it is sweetened with Stevia............it is all natural and very good for you and tastes great too!!

I have turned a lot of people on this site onto Jay Robb protein...........

Now as far as the trolls and other inflammatory remarks...........yes, it pushes my buttons, I can't help it...........

Also, for those that told me I don't need to be here because this is a calorie counting website, that is simply not true. 2 of my "friends" posted this to me on my home page.

This site is not a calorie counting site. It is a diet and fitness site designed to be flexible enough for any plAn that someone chooses to do. Whether it is low carb, low calorie, low fat, not watching calories at all, etc…………….There is room for everyone here, not just the calorie counters.

That really hurt my feelings as one of the posters that said maybe I need to re-think my membership to this site because it is a calorie counting site is someone that posts on this thread.

Lioness- that's why I had to go over to the HCG thread and post how awesome I thought you guys were. I don't know that I would have gone the route of HCG a year ago since Atkins works so well for me, but I am just amazed at how wonderful of a plan it is and even more so how great of a group you guys are for putting up with all the bashing the HCG lifestyle gets. It's kinda getting the rap Atkins got years ago. I'm just thrilled for you that something is working for you and hopefully clearing up your health problems! :drinker:

The Jay Robb protein is fantastic...wish the price was a bit lower though!!

Someone told you you shouldn't use this site because you didn't count calories?!

I can't say I'm surprised though sadly. I've been asked why I use this site if I eat low carb. I don't get people...we're all in this to lose weight and get healthy. Does it really matter if not all of us count calories, eat our exercise calories back, etc??
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hey sayersgal..........

yeah and you know what gets my goat the most?????

The Simeons Protocol and Atkins have been around, researched, etc for years, years and more years............

My whole intentions are to lose the weight with HCG, I figured I would lose enough in about 5 rounds...........then maintain my loss with a low carb, natural lifestyle.

I am combining Atkins and Primal Blue Print Principals (the things I like best from each plan) and make it work for me and my lifestyle..............

Both plans are similar, so it will be easy to combine the 2 for something that works for me.
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    You know what I think lioness?

Just let the haters hate.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I mean really, they're going to just keep thinking that way until the media starts to say what we already know: that LC eating and Primal eating and the HCG path are good ways to lose weight and maintain your life. Until then these people are just going to keep insisting that counting calories is the only way, that you're going to starve yourself if you eat fewer than 1200 calories and that you're just plain freakish if you don't eat a lot of processed grains and fruit and think ALL sugar is created equal no matter where it comes from.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    You know what I think lioness?

Just let the haters hate.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I mean really, they're going to just keep thinking that way until the media starts to say what we already know: that LC eating and Primal eating and the HCG path are good ways to lose weight and maintain your life. Until then these people are just going to keep insisting that counting calories is the only way, that you're going to starve yourself if you eat fewer than 1200 calories and that you're just plain freakish if you don't eat a lot of processed grains and fruit and think ALL sugar is created equal no matter where it comes from.

They will never admit that Atkins, Primal Blue Print or HCG are good for us..........

Because they can't schedule surgery, give out prescriptions for pills, etc..............that means that medical and pharmaceutical industry will struggle because less people would be getting sick!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Lioness - I actually know the person that started the debate on the LC thing. He's okay, not usually someone that would start up shiiiiite, KWIM? He's in a group I belong to and In our thread I explained to him that Carbs are not necessary unless the body is utilizing it for a specific purpose, posted the link to the article my nutrition coach wrote, and he got it.
    Personally he wouldn't follow it to a tee, but that's his choice.
    Heck, it was my choice from the age of 10 to 30 something to eat pasta everyday of my life. Hey, it's what got me here. :ohwell:
    I have a friend that tried to tell me that you will never see a fat Italian... whoa, wait a second, I've never seen a skinny one, and I haven't seen one built like Sophia Loren either!:laugh:
    But I digress....
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    They will never admit that Atkins, Primal Blue Print or HCG are good for us..........

Because they can't schedule surgery, give out prescriptions for pills, etc..............that means that medical and pharmaceutical industry will struggle because less people would be getting sick!!!

I'd like to hope that one day our society will change and stop dispensing pills unnecessarily and that maybe one day America won't be the most obese country. Maybe it won't be in our lifetime but if people like us here in this group keep pushing with our thinking I think it can happen. People need to wake up and smell the damn coffee! :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I'd like to hope that one day our society will change and stop dispensing pills unnecessarily and that maybe one day America won't be the most obese country. Maybe it won't be in our lifetime but if people like us here in this group keep pushing with our thinking I think it can happen. People need to wake up and smell the damn coffee! :smile:

Yes, wake up and smell the coffee..............But only if it is Organic and Fair Trade!!!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Lioness - I actually know the person that started the debate on the LC thing. He's okay, not usually someone that would start up shiiiiite, KWIM? He's in a group I belong to and In our thread I explained to him that Carbs are not necessary unless the body is utilizing it for a specific purpose, posted the link to the article my nutrition coach wrote, and he got it.
    Personally he wouldn't follow it to a tee, but that's his choice.
    Heck, it was my choice from the age of 10 to 30 something to eat pasta everyday of my life. Hey, it's what got me here. :ohwell:
    I have a friend that tried to tell me that you will never see a fat Italian... whoa, wait a second, I've never seen a skinny one, and I haven't seen one built like Sophia Loren either!:laugh:
    But I digress....

Yes, girl, I KWYM.............

I just got irritated when I was told that I was using a blanket statement for a valid statement I made.............Someone else from this site has rubbed off on him...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Lunchtime!!!!! Grilled bbq chicken breast diced up to put into my whole wheat tortilla, topped with homemade pico de gallo, sour cream and cheese! :love:

I'm so hungry I'm already thinking about dinner! :laugh: I'm making spaghetti for the hubby so I think I'll have eggs and bacon tonight...hmmmm...
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Would love to Join!!!!!!! Thank you Saverys_Gal for posting this so i could join!!!!!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Would love to Join!!!!!!! Thank you Saverys_Gal for posting this so i could join!!!!!

Welcome!! :flowerforyou:

I knew I had a bunch of LC friends that weren't over so I had to post it. So glad you came over! You'll love the group-no LC bashing here! :drinker: