Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what else does soy block absorption of? I was just thrilled to finally figure out why I was always so abnormally lethargic during TOM. During my last TOM was the first time I felt normal! It was a miracle.
    And I was really surprised to discover how many products have soy in them...my protein shake powder, my tortillas, the Atkins bars...those were just the first few I found.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what else does soy block absorption of? I was just thrilled to finally figure out why I was always so abnormally lethargic during TOM. During my last TOM was the first time I felt normal! It was a miracle.
    And I was really surprised to discover how many products have soy in them...my protein shake powder, my tortillas, the Atkins bars...those were just the first few I found.

Now, my Doctor told me that I could have fermented soy products, but no other soy products...........So I do use Braggs Amino Acids from time to time.

Thyroid medications for one..............

Here is more information...........

Soy also contains goitrogens - substances that depress thyroid function.

Additionally 99% a very large percentage of soy is genetically modified and it also has one of the highest percentages contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.

Soybeans are high in phytic acid, present in the bran or hulls of all seeds. It's a substance that can block the uptake of essential minerals - calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc - in the intestinal tract.

Analysis shows that calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc are present in the plant foods eaten in these areas, but the high phytate content of soy- and grain-based diets prevents their absorption.

The soybean has one of the highest phytate levels of any grain or legume that has been studied,16 and the phytates in soy are highly resistant to normal phytate-reducing techniques such as long, slow cooking.17 Only a long period of fermentation will significantly reduce the phytate content of soybeans.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Yes, soy and suagr is found in everything now days!!!

My doctor said it is no wonder why there are so many people with Thyroid issues!!!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Soy is one thing...but sugar. When will people learn?! I won't even open that can of worms!:noway:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Things I love about Low Carbing:

1. Eating Real Foods (fats, proteins, limiting carbs)
    2. Finding new vegetables to try and loving all of them because my taste buds have changed.
    3. Viewing eating fruit as a dessert
    4. Being creative with new spices that makes foods full of flavor and zest
    5. Losing inches (fat loss) even when the scale isn't moving
    6. I love having more energy and requiring less sleep!!

Add yours..........

7. I love having a nice steak and green veggies for dinner and having plenty of energy after I eat!

8. I sleep like a log.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I haven't posted in a couple of days, but have been lurking. Gosh, just keeping up with the posts on this thread could become a full time job!!:noway: :laugh:

Can't address everyone individually, but some comments on prior posts.

RE: Potatoes (Baked): In case it helps someone else who is going through "potato withdrawal" --Here is my solution to the potato "problem." The starch is in the white of the potato (assuming baked, russets in this case), and the PEEL of the potato has some of the best nutrients in it, and no starch. To me the BEST part of the potato is a nice crispy peel (from baked in oven, not in micro).

Fortunately, the only time I ever do a baked potato is at a barbecue at a private club that my parents belong to. Since they are both elderly and I am their "chauffeur," they are always with me, and NEITHER of them eat the peel on their bakers, so I usually eat the peel from my mom's half, after she has scooped out the inside, and then I take home the peel of the whole potato that my dad always has, and I have enough for two more meals. It is a wonderful treat, and I miss out on the starch I want to avoid.

On the rare occasions when I have potatoes at home, I have three doggies who think potatoes are a "treat.":noway: They are more than happy to consume the inside of the potato and let me have the peel. So everyone is happy!!:drinker: :drinker:

As far as LLC-bashers, I already posted this on the HCG website, and it is really the only philosophy that keeps me sane when dealing with naysayers, who think they "know" what is best, despite having no factually correct idea of what they are talking about:

" I REFUSE TO HAVE A BATTLE OF WITS WITH AN UNARMED PERSON!!!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome to the newbies that I see have posted.

I am sure I forgot some of what I wanted to say, but like I said, keeping up with all of you could become a full time job!! So everyone have a great day, and don't let the turkeys get you down!!:flowerforyou:
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I :heart: your quote weaklink! And yes, our little group over here has been pretty active the past couple of days-lots to keep up with!

I love the potato skin too! Unfortunately for me though, I make baked potatoes...5 times a week? My hubby eats them like they're going out of style! Maybe I can steal his skin one night...hehe. My birds will happily eat the any part of the potato I give them but they can't eat all of it, unlike doggies!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Well Barbs I didn't know that. wonderful just wonderful. Thanks
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    bump..Thanks savery_gals :)
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I need to find a low carb finger food! We are having a bbq for my sister's birthday this weekend and half my family is either doing LC or Is Glueten free eaters and so coming up with food idea's is kinda hard.. Does anyone have any idea's of what i can make for the whole family! O and two of my family members don't eat meat!

How about deviled eggs????? Those are yummy and low carb right????? :)
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    WOW we have all been busy this morning.....Just got back from the doctors...............blood work came back from last weeks visit. Since my Doctors visit last Weds, I have officially lost 10 lbs!!!!!!!! All since starting Atkins. I am into my 2nd week and plan to stay in Induction for likely another month.

My doctor was VERY VERY happy with me. AND very happy with my blood work. My blood pressure is PERFECT :drinker: My Thyroid levels were 2.5......this is PERFECT :drinker: My Lupus test.....PERFECT:drinker: My Arthritis test PERFECT :drinker: As far as my doctor is concerned aside from being very overweight................I AM THE PICTURE OF PERFECT HEALTH....this means...al long healthy life IF I lose this weight and start working out.......

So this brought me to the question of Not doing Low Carb -vs- Doing Low Carb. My doctor asked how I felt, if I was thin he would be worried about the 10 lb loss in a week, but I have the fat to get off, so these losses are fine, until we start getting to goal, this is when we need to slow down and do it for maint.

He said there is NOTHING WRONG WITH LOW CARBING AT ALL. Keep track of cals....just don't think its ok to eat 3000 cals at my status now.....keep those relative.

And lastly, he said he wants to see me in 6 weeks to check in......he said he would like to see me at 238 then.... UM HELLO, THAT IS ONLY 20 LBS I am hoping that my induction keeps right along and that I am 30-40 pounds lighter then, but that is likely wishful thinking............................

So thats my day....now for a nap :P

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!~!~!~!~!~!~!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I need to find a low carb finger food! We are having a bbq for my sister's birthday this weekend and half my family is either doing LC or Is Glueten free eaters and so coming up with food idea's is kinda hard.. Does anyone have any idea's of what i can make for the whole family! O and two of my family members don't eat meat!

How about deviled eggs????? Those are yummy and low carb right????? :)

I suggested the same thing! :laugh:
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    bump..Thanks savery_gals :)

Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    WOW we have all been busy this morning.....Just got back from the doctors...............blood work came back from last weeks visit. Since my Doctors visit last Weds, I have officially lost 10 lbs!!!!!!!! All since starting Atkins. I am into my 2nd week and plan to stay in Induction for likely another month.

My doctor was VERY VERY happy with me. AND very happy with my blood work. My blood pressure is PERFECT :drinker: My Thyroid levels were 2.5......this is PERFECT :drinker: My Lupus test.....PERFECT:drinker: My Arthritis test PERFECT :drinker: As far as my doctor is concerned aside from being very overweight................I AM THE PICTURE OF PERFECT HEALTH....this means...al long healthy life IF I lose this weight and start working out.......

So this brought me to the question of Not doing Low Carb -vs- Doing Low Carb. My doctor asked how I felt, if I was thin he would be worried about the 10 lb loss in a week, but I have the fat to get off, so these losses are fine, until we start getting to goal, this is when we need to slow down and do it for maint.

He said there is NOTHING WRONG WITH LOW CARBING AT ALL. Keep track of cals....just don't think its ok to eat 3000 cals at my status now.....keep those relative.

And lastly, he said he wants to see me in 6 weeks to check in......he said he would like to see me at 238 then.... UM HELLO, THAT IS ONLY 20 LBS I am hoping that my induction keeps right along and that I am 30-40 pounds lighter then, but that is likely wishful thinking............................

So thats my day....now for a nap :P

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!~!~!~!~!~!~!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

That's fabulous sassie!!! What's your starting weight? My first 25lbs. dropped off like nobody's business! And since you have a good amount to drop, like I did, you can stay on Induction for a bit and keep shedding those pounds. Say BYE BYE! Remember, Atkins is set up the way it is for a reason! You lose big on induction, keep it moving at a slightly slower page during phase 2 but still lose! Phase 3 you have only about 10lbs. left! So you won't have these huge losses happening forever. Keep up your awesome work!! :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sassi, I am so happy for you. Lets all dance a Happy dance. with Sassie. i love stories like this. Go get
    em Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    thanks saverys and resalyn for the banana ideas. i know it is a tough one! there are so many helpful and great ideas here. lots of good people, too! i need all the help and support i can get. hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! enjoy the last "official" weekends of summer!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I have a question about our new food chart
    After you get your recipes caculated how do you get it in the foo data so you can add it to your food chart?
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I have a question about our new food chart
    After you get your recipes caculated how do you get it in the foo data so you can add it to your food chart?

Caliecat- I'm assuming you've saved the recipe? You should be able to add the recipe directly to your food diary...highlight the recipe and two options should come up over on the right hand side: add to diary and delete. Hope that helps!
    thanks saverys and resalyn for the banana ideas. i know it is a tough one! there are so many helpful and great ideas here. lots of good people, too! i need all the help and support i can get. hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! enjoy the last "official" weekends of summer!

You're welcome profjan! We're a happy bunch of people around here!! The fruit part on Atkins is a tough nut to crack-I'm on Phase 3 and rarely if ever eat fruit because of how badly it stalls my weight loss...:grumble: Can't wait to be in maintenance so I can enjoy fruit in all it's glory...as a TREAT!
    I can't believe summer is almost over already! Where did it go??
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!! I didn't even think about deviled eggs :bigsmile:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Things I love about Low Carbing:

1. Eating Real Foods (fats, proteins, limiting carbs)
    2. Finding new vegetables to try and loving all of them because my taste buds have changed.
    3. Viewing eating fruit as a dessert
    4. Being creative with new spices that makes foods full of flavor and zest
    5. Losing inches (fat loss) even when the scale isn't moving
    6. I love having more energy and requiring less sleep!!

Add yours..........

7. I love having a nice steak and green veggies for dinner and having plenty of energy after I eat!

8. I sleep like a log.

9. I love not feeling that unsatisfied feeling I used to feel just counting cals and eating low fat.
    10. I love staying within my calories now eating the BEST food menu ever!!!