cutting out all "cheat" foods

Options

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't do weekly deficits and 1200 calories for 2 quarts of ice cream, try 2200

It's not that much to be honest, 1200 or even 2200. I've had days I logged 4300 calories OVER my allowance which back then was around 2000 calories. It didn't prevent me from losing over 40lbs so far.
    That was when I was restricting myself so much that I would end up binging once in a while.

I don't work that way anymore but I do still have days I will go over (Mostly cause of the booze lol) but I don't stress it anymore.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm not trolling - that's what I do? It works for me.

so you're telling me that you will finish of QUARTS of ice cream and somehow you are still losing weight. BS

you're missing the bigger picture. Take a couple steps back. 2 quarts is what... 1200 cals depending on the ice cream? I can burn that much in a single workout, and it's very easy to "absorb" those cals over the course of a week and still be in a deficit.

I don't do weekly deficits and 1200 calories for 2 quarts of ice cream, try 2200

ok, so 2200. That's 2 good bike rides for me. So what?

Why don't you do weekly deficits? Isn't a weekly deficit just the result of 7 daily deficits? I'd go nuts if I looked at everything strictly on a daily basis. A bigger, weekly view keeps me sane.

and that works for you, to me I look at it day by day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800

why don't you back down to 2100 first and see how that goes for a week ...and then if still no loss go to 2000...????
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    All the "I eat junk food all the time people" are flat out kidding themselves about how good they have it. They're drinking the Kool Aid. Great. You eat one serving of ice cream every day? Enjoy that quarter pint of Ben and Jerry's. Whoopie. You had chocolate today? Oh wow, a whole third of a Hershey bar? You wild man. Tonight was pizza night? Oh, one whole slice. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this approach is right/wrong I just think the way people try to sell it as some amazing worry free non-restrictive lifestyle is silly.

I think you a kidding yourself. I eat poptarts, donuts, bacon, peanut butter and ice cream daily. And I got down to 6% body fat eating those same foods daily. I live a worry free "eating" lifestyle and can go out to eat and not worry like "oh wtf am I gonna eat there?" like almost everyone on this site.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

so you're telling me that you will finish of QUARTS of ice cream and somehow you are still losing weight. BS

you're missing the bigger picture. Take a couple steps back. 2 quarts is what... 1200 cals depending on the ice cream? I can burn that much in a single workout, and it's very easy to "absorb" those cals over the course of a week and still be in a deficit.

Why don't you do weekly deficits? Isn't a weekly deficit just the result of 7 daily deficits? I'd go nuts if I looked at everything strictly on a daily basis. A bigger, weekly view keeps me sane.

And that's fine. But don't call BS on other people simply because their approach doesn't work for you.

The trolling you've been doing in this thread has been very subtle. Nicely done.
  • thekyleo
    Options

And that's fine. But don't call BS on other people simply because their approach doesn't work for you.

The trolling you've been doing in this thread has been very subtle. Nicely done.

not trolling,
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a decent job I think of losing weight over the last year (86lbs to date). I'm 197 and my GW is 185. I have been trying to balance foods I like into my diet and I seem to be stuck at 197. So I think i'm going to cut out all the "cheat" foods and see where that gets me.

Is there a question somewhere in here that I'm missing?

SNARK attack. Everybody out of the water NOW!

Well, no, it's just that there's no question in his statement! Just a generalization about changing his weight loss plan.

I noticed that too...I think the correct response is 'Oh, good luck with that'. I don't do the whole cheat foods/meals/days thing as it's calories that count but I don't think that OP is looking for advice. Bit of a pointless thread really.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It'll probably get you to binge city. At least that's where it would get me....

Same here.

I did that last year (before joining MFP), and the cravings got so bad that I was like a tornado tearing through the kitchen and devouring all the pizza, chips, cookies, and ice cream in my path.

Finding out I can still eat the "bad" foods that I love, but in moderation, was great. It has really helped me to hang in there for the first time and actually have success.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

not trolling,

Someone who's been a member of this site for over a year, and posts about cutting "cheat foods," which is a topic on these forums, oh, about 5 times a day.

Definitely not a troll.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You're a 6'1, 197 lb young dude who only measures by scale, upset because you aren't losing for three WHOLE weeks?

You've lost over 80 pounds, congratulations! (No snark that's honestly great)

You say you're seeing a therapist for food issues, I suggest you follow your therapist's advice instead of demonizing any edibles at this point.
  • rickylou87
    rickylou87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to try and change up your workout a bit. If you have been continually losing on your current food plan I wouldn't mess with sucess. Sometimes your body just gets used to certain workouts. I didn't read all comments on this post so forgive me if I am repeating something but have you considered circuit training?
  • thekyleo
    Options
    My advice would be to try and change up your workout a bit. If you have been continually losing on your current food plan I wouldn't mess with sucess. Sometimes your body just gets used to certain workouts. I didn't read all comments on this post so forgive me if I am repeating something but have you considered circuit training?

I currently am doing the musclepharm get swole program, except I don't follow the bulk-cut phases for the food plan
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods and will power are different for everyone. I am the type that defined what my cheat foods were from the start then made a plan to avoid them. For me, I needed to do this. I needed to know that I wasn't being driven by foods like cake, cookies, fast foods, etc. As I change my eating habits, get into my routine for working out, and notice a difference in my body, I have started to give myself a break. The difference is, rather than eating half the pizza I can now limit to one or 2 slices. For those that can continue eating what they want and can control themselves from the start, you rock! For others, it's not that easy.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    "Cheat" food could just be food eaten after reaching the calorie target. Cutting out "cheat" food in that definition is a basic principle of this app/website, and would lead to success in weight loss objectives.
  • rickylou87
    Options

I currently am doing the musclepharm get swole program, except I don't follow the bulk-cut phases for the food plan

I'm not familiar w/ that program. Could you give me a little more detail? I'm interested.
  • thekyleo
    Options

I'm not familiar w/ that program. Could you give me a little more detail? I'm interested.

it's a free program that the Co founder Corey Gregory developed 16 weeks. Focusing on compound lifts and high rep ranges. you can get it at bodybuilding.com
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All the "I eat junk food all the time people" are flat out kidding themselves about how good they have it. They're drinking the Kool Aid. Great. You eat one serving of ice cream every day? Enjoy that quarter pint of Ben and Jerry's. Whoopie. You had chocolate today? Oh wow, a whole third of a Hershey bar? You wild man. Tonight was pizza night? Oh, one whole slice. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this approach is right/wrong I just think the way people try to sell it as some amazing worry free non-restrictive lifestyle is silly.

I think you a kidding yourself. I eat poptarts, donuts, bacon, peanut butter and ice cream daily. And I got down to 6% body fat eating those same foods daily. I live a worry free "eating" lifestyle and can go out to eat and not worry like "oh wtf am I gonna eat there?" like almost everyone on this site.

then leave the site, you obviously don't need to be here then

Yeah, man - we don't want people that have actually had success sharing their knowledge and experiences. Let everyone flounder about aimlessly. [/sarcasm]

Strong trolling, indeed, OP.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

And what are you for here again? To simply troll?
  • thekyleo
    Options

how is it trolling when people conta

Yeah, man - we don't want people that have actually had success sharing their knowledge and experiences. Let everyone flounder about aimlessly. [/sarcasm]

Strong trolling, indeed, OP.

Sorry I can't take anyone seriously that plays a washburn bass
  • rickylou87
    Options
    I still think changing up your workout could be the ticket. Maybe try something like tennis, basketball, bootcamp or swimming. Shocking your body with different motions can get it out of a plateau. Just my personal opinion and it has worked for me in the past.