Do Not Eat Chia Seeds!!!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    sunnyn73 wrote: »
    Well, thanks for creating a thread on the effects of chia seeds. I also have a few queries. I was so excited to find the multiple benefits of chia seeds, but i also got worried after reading a few side effects over many places

like : http://www.healthy-drinks.net/side-effects-of-chia-seeds/

where chia seeds are found to be linked with prostate cancer, blood sugar, Diarrhea and other things.

Any kind of relevant information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I will say that relying on that WordPress article for information on chia seed consumption is not a good place to start. The majority of their "warnings" are in relation to actually positive effects that occur from eating a diet rich in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, two nutrient groups that are very densely represented in chia seeds.

The prostate cancer "link" is not about chia seeds, but in loosely correlated information regarding ALA's (a certain type of omega-3) and slightly elevated prostate cancer risk. If you follow their source material link, even that source article states that the studies in question appear to have some publication bias, and that the general medical consensus regarding prostate cancer is that the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids has at most a minimal effect on the increased risk of cancer... That is, it is unlikely to have a significant causative impact to your existing risk level.

The comments on blood sugar, diarrhea, and other things are all due to the *positive* impact of eating chia. Chia is something that people use to prolong satiety and hydration, and can help people to delay hunger impulses. You WANT lower blood sugars. You WANT lower blood pressures. Diarrhea is going to occur if you eat a ton of it after eating an inadequate amount of fiber... That happens regardless of your fiber source. Chia is one of the most effective ways, in my experience, to end a constipation stalemate through food and water consumption.

You can't let poorly researched articles inform your decision. I'm not going to say that it's right for everyone, because it's not. For example, people with a history of diverticulitis should not eat things like chia and flax, because the small seeds can get caught in the diverticula. However, generally speaking, it should be safe for consumption. They are sold as a supplement as well as a food, and I would say that if you are concerned because you take BP meds or cholesterol meds, or because you have diabetes or other conditions for which you take maintenance medications, you could always send a quick message to your physician and ask if chia would be okay. It is by far one of my favorite foods to keep around, personally.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I am much more concerned about Chia Zombies

Chia-Pet_Lifeless-Lisa__No-Button.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

That's AWESOME! Am getting this one for a coworker: http://www.amazon.com/Chia-CP136-01-Zombie-Dragging-Drew/dp/B015NN38S4

Chia-Pet_Dragging-Drew_No-Button1.png
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I heard eating them gives you edible butt hair.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's AWESOME! Am getting this one for a coworker: http://www.amazon.com/Chia-CP136-01-Zombie-Dragging-Drew/dp/B015NN38S4

Chia-Pet_Dragging-Drew_No-Button1.png

These are awesome.
  • Quasita
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    OP you still believe that eating chia seeds will plant a garden in your stomach? Do you understand how a stomach operates? Got similar theories on vaccines causing autism?

just catching up, are y'all saying that eating chia seeds will cure autism?

You know, I have eaten like 6lbs of chia seeds and it hasn't cured my autism yet. Maybe I need to eat 10lbs to see significant effect?
  • Quasita
    Options
    OP you still believe that eating chia seeds will plant a garden in your stomach? Do you understand how a stomach operates? Got similar theories on vaccines causing autism?

Well, see, the thing about this post, as it was outed about 2 years ago, is that this is a snark post. At the time, there was a slew of forum posts about how you shouldn't eat sandwiches, you shouldn't eat fruit, etc. etc. and so, I decided to write an article, and I also created the journal it cites. The whole point was to do what it did, for most people, which was to get people who were unfamiliar with using chia to learn more (because they are amazing) and for those that enjoy snark humor, give them a laugh. Generally, I accomplished this, and I was quite happy with that.

I tried to make the side effects claims as scary-sounding good things as possible, specifically so that people paying attention would key into the fact that it was a joke. It's also why I didn't post in any of the forums specifically for real nutritional advice.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If i read this right...

Does it mean a chia pet will grow in your belly?
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    If i read this right...

Does it mean a chia pet will grow in your belly?

Only if you drink the 8 cups of water that MFP recommends
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    An herb garden in my stomach? Awesome... just think of the money I'll save from having to buy my herbs in a grocery store! As I was reading this I was enjoying the F out of my home-made chia seed overnight pudding. Yum!
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »

Well, see, the thing about this post, as it was outed about 2 years ago, is that this is a snark post. At the time, there was a slew of forum posts about how you shouldn't eat sandwiches, you shouldn't eat fruit, etc. etc. and so, I decided to write an article, and I also created the journal it cites. The whole point was to do what it did, for most people, which was to get people who were unfamiliar with using chia to learn more (because they are amazing) and for those that enjoy snark humor, give them a laugh. Generally, I accomplished this, and I was quite happy with that.

I tried to make the side effects claims as scary-sounding good things as possible, specifically so that people paying attention would key into the fact that it was a joke. It's also why I didn't post in any of the forums specifically for real nutritional advice.

Quasita, I think I like you a lot.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified an herb garden will grow out of my butt, nose and ears....
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    hahahahahaha This post lol!!!! @Quasita Well played lol !!!!
  • Laron8
    Laron8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    As good as they sound like they will be for you, please, take heed of this warning!!!:

"The FDA concluded early this week that the ingestion of Chia seed may result in serious health hazards.

Marketed as a healthy addition to the average diet, Chia seed is touted as providing a complex sampling of vitamins and minerals, as well as one of the most complete, plant-based amino acids available. Labeled a "super food" by the diet and weightloss community, nutritionists and dieticians, this ancient grain and its use has spread with fervor throughout many online communities.

An FDA representative stated the following: "While this seed was used in ancient times to provide long-term sustenance as well as reliable hydration for military troops, it has become clear to us that in our current climate, the risks of ingestion outweigh the benefits. We do not recommend that anyone regularly ingest this plant product..."

Although it is acknowledged that there is some relevance of use in third world countries, scientists conclude that Chia seed used in the Western civilized communities, particularly in the United States and Canada, could have detrimental health effects.

These details came to light after it was revealed that the Chia seed provided as a food source was indeed directly related to the seed used in the popular product "Chia Pet," a plant and herb growing item popularized in the 1980s.

Potential health hazards include: inability to eat a full and varied diet due to lack of space in the stomach, extended periods of satiation, overabundance of vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream, and the possibility of the seeds implanting into the lining of the stomach and intestines, thereby growing an internal herb garden that cannot be controlled by traditional means. This list is not a comprehensive list of side effects that may occur from the regular ingestion of Chia.

More information will be provided as it becomes available."

SO SCARY!!!

What you wanted to say is the truth, not some bs.
    And that is this: DO EAT CHIA SEEDS.

They are very healthy. Of course overeating them is not necessary.
  • Laron8
    Laron8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    chia
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but I literally can't believe people don't comprehend that it was a joke. I feel extra intelligent compared to a handful of folks on this thread lol