Calories I don't count

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I count every single thing--fruit, vegetables, vitamins, coffee, etc.
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do log my pills and vitamins, but for the purpose of reaching my macros. I don't count coffee/tea, cucumber/celery (though I will count a full salad) and gum and probably other small stuff that isn't going to send my entire diet over the edge. I realize that it's important to understand how small amounts of calories can add up (ex if you eat 5 m&m's an hour over a 12 hour period, you have eaten 60 in total---something that will significantly impact your day), but if you pop a couple pieces of red pepper into your mouth while making lunch, drank 2 cups of tea and chewed some gum, you're only looking at about 30 extra calories over all (which isn't significant at the end of the day)

I don't think the point of MFP is to becoming some crazy self monitor; I think it's meant to make you more aware of the things you eat, the inflow/outflow of calories/balance of macros/etc, and how those things impact your body.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't count chewing gum, since the 5 calories that each piece is usually gets burned by me chewing it. I used to not count cough drops until I found out one day they're about 25 calories a pop. Then usually if I'm sick I'm eating about 10 of those a day. It adds up!

Dang, I didn't even think to look at the calories in a cough drop. I'll have to slow down on those when I'm sick. I go through a lot of them too.
  • SEvansHB
    SEvansHB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't log my sugar-free gum. I don't log my sugar-free Jello (I call that my free food and it makes me feel rebellious LOL). I do log tea, coffee, etc. I take supplements from Xyngular and I log them all as well.
  • TheMelephant
    Options
    I count everything, including the 4 or 5 calories for coffee. I mean, it's not a big deal, but I still like to add it, just so I also know how often I drink it compared to other beverages, same with some low calorie foods like gums, pickles, etc.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Lol'd hard at 40 pills/day.

Not even once
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am so close to maintenance that I don't log non-starchy veggies. I also don't log coffee, but definitely the creamer I use.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Everything apart from plain water & air has calories. To not log that is cheating yourself.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I count most things but not lettuce, it's so low in calories it's hardly going to make a difference.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If its black coffee then you're good to go. You should log coffee if you take cream and sugar; especially if you drink 4-5 cups a day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I count most things but not lettuce, it's so low in calories it's hardly going to make a difference.

I take this a step farther...

...and don't even bother eating lettuce.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    my body will process it anyway, this is just a tool and how I use it will determine my results. I didn't ask what y'all thought about my vitamin/supplement amounts. I've been doing supplements a long time in skinny times and in fat times. I just wanted to know if I should count it and now I have my answer. I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers. The medicines have so many side effects it's ridiculous.
    Oh and I'm from Texas! LOL
    :bigsmile:

'I don't trust doctors'

Yup. I've heard enough.

Alternative medicine has either not been proved to work, or proved not to work.

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    my body will process it anyway, this is just a tool and how I use it will determine my results. I didn't ask what y'all thought about my vitamin/supplement amounts. I've been doing supplements a long time in skinny times and in fat times. I just wanted to know if I should count it and now I have my answer. I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers. The medicines have so many side effects it's ridiculous.

So you don't trust doctors, but you trust the people telling you milk thistle and garlic and all your other pills are good for you? What makes you trust them?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    don't know what sort of Omega3 / fish oil supplement some of you are taking, but mine clocks in at 180cals a day. I don't take it every day, but when I do it gets logged.

... You take 20 grams of fish oil a day?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

So you don't trust doctors, but you trust the people telling you milk thistle and garlic and all your other pills are good for you? What makes you trust them?

Irrational optimism?
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I don't count my vitamins. I take several different supplements and have no clue how many calories they maybe.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What if I told you calories were not real?

Then you would be speaking nonsense.

Saying calories are not real is like saying ounces aren't real.
    Calories are just a method of measurement for a unit of heat content or energy.

Uh, exactly. Energy is real. Presumably you're not saying energy isn't real.
    Coal has calories, too.

Not biologically, no. The human body cannot extract energy from coal.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

Because those people are in touch with NATURE don't ya know.

Nature. That always safe and healthy thing that made leprosy and sharks
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I don't count my vitamins. I take several different supplements and have no clue how many calories they maybe.

There's a number on the side of the bottle that should resolve this mystery for you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Oh man. I once ran a couple of healthfood/supplement stores. I had heard that all the time - "I don't trust doctors, I trust you." I found that very scary, and always politely told them that I most certainly was not a doctor, and that they should in no way consider anything I said as a medical opinion.

I didn't last long in that job, I just couldn't stand it.