Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Such an inspirational thread. Thank you to everyone who's posting! Please keep it up!

I'm not able to lift heavy - I had a back surgery in december and my doctor wants me to give it a full 18 months before I do free weight exercises - but this is getting me so pumped to start lifting weights once I'm able to!

Congratulations to everyone for their hard work and dedication!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    justmytype wrote: »
    I love coming to this thread. It's so motivating! All you ladies are so awesome.

Here's my experience with lifting and weight loss. And for the more "mature" ladies...yes, we can have muscles too!

d6qli09d2sbc.jpg

Oh wowee that's incredible! You look fan-bloody-tastic!
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    You girls are amazing inside and out. Such an inspiration. Time to go lift. ;) I started my journey 3 weeks ago and I am down 6 lbs. I have 20 more to go. ;)
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Y'all look so great. I've noticed a few other female "heavy lifters" at our gym and I just want to high five them!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    gpwo848tbbgv.jpg

Me from 2013 before joining gym and today. Before I weighed 54kg and today I weigh 50kg. I've lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle. BF% was 34.4% and now it's 24.4% so 10% drob in two years :D I still want to build more muscle..

You look great! Do you follow a program or just do your own thing?

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    votkuhr wrote: »
    Strength in iron! <3 Still trying to lean out the saddlebags. Will get there one day, but I'm in no hurry. :)

fehs1jb3q7ru.jpg

Without sounding like a butt hungry sleazy person....

Omfg your butt looks bleeping awesome!
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To celebrate 6 months since I started losing weight, here is a progress pic from me!
    Not really a big change since I didn't have that much to lose in the first place.

m6S1dCW.png

Currently I'm not really looking to lose any more (though I don't mind if I lose another pound or two). I'd like to maintain around this weight and keep lifting to improve body composition!

Starting weight: 61,7 kg (136 lbs)
    Current weight: 56,5 kg (124,5 lbs)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    _bellator_ wrote: »
    4 years of bodypart-split training, moderate cardio, and ever-changing nutritional tweaking.

s2lvpidz8kc0.jpg

Before: 5'7", 165 lbs (Jan 2012)

gvsoqnabd05i.jpg

Now: 5' 7", 137 lbs

gta4natosq6k.jpg

WOW!! Beyond amazing!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    aimesuk wrote: »
    Hi all *waves*

I joined MFP a long time ago, have cycled through losing and gaining and have hit a really high weight :(

I want to lose 70-80lbs, I am joining the gym on Friday. I know have a job where I will actually have time to go!

Would you recommend weight training as well as cardio? I was thinking of couch to 5k for the cardio portion and 3 sessions of weights (I'll let the pros in the gym suggest what!).

Has anyone lost loads of weight and started weight training immediately? I admit I don't really know what 'bulking' is, I just want to lose weight, look good, and feel healthy! I want my body to look smooth and toned and not just thin and cellulitey.

What would you suggest - other than keeping this thread alive for inspiration! :D

Absolutely. Do not wait. I lost all of my weight with very little cardio, a lot of weight lifting, and a calorie deficit. I can't imagine what my body would look like now if I had not lifted. Almost every post I read on the topic is either "I'm glad I did it" or "I wish I had done it".

Also, personally-I think it is a LOT more fun than cardio.

All of this for me too!!

It also helps do cardio better

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    x5wgnb7hrr5t.jpg
    diewgtnqfnf0.jpg
    3wzgtny9fne9.jpg

Nice job! Also have to compliment your hair - the multi-colours are great. :)

Edited to add: just looked at your profile and Holy Smokes!!, thought you were about 10 to 15 years younger. Another reason to lift!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Allelito wrote: »
    To celebrate 6 months since I started losing weight, here is a progress pic from me!
    Not really a big change since I didn't have that much to lose in the first place.

m6S1dCW.png

Currently I'm not really looking to lose any more (though I don't mind if I lose another pound or two). I'd like to maintain around this weight and keep lifting to improve body composition!

Starting weight: 61,7 kg (136 lbs)
    Current weight: 56,5 kg (124,5 lbs)

That is most definitely a change. Great job!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    WOWWWWW great photos people!!! Loved looking at all the great results in this thread!

I started lifting in December 2014 - still going - I still need to lose a few more kilos to get where I want to be but even though progress has been sloooow it has been steady and the important thing is that it has been sustainable and I am not starving :smiley:

mvfduh52pdbb.png
    ptq29t5mi9fq.jpg
    318ds8xw6syw.jpg

• Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I am 57 years old. I have no idea how much I weigh now. I last weighed around 142 and my goal weight is 125. I got down to 135lbs and was a size 10. Then March 1, 2015 I started doing strong lift 5x5. I then lost 17 inches and am now a size 5-7 depending on fit. I also went from doing 21 to 24 hours of cardio every week to ZERO I only do strong lift 5x5 for an hour every other day. I also changed from eating 1260 calories to 1600 +. I started lifting with a 12.5 lb bar and now lift 109 lbs squat, 100lb sumo squat, bench 83lbs, barbell row 89lbs, over head press 62lbs, and deadlift 137lbs.
    zbeogd7ubivd.jpg
    8f4cic47ydz9.jpg

FABULOUS!! look at that body!! I want that figure when I am 57!! Good job lady!
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    *kitten* this thread is making me regret quitting gym :( I was the cardio queen of my gym. I did weight training only for lower body and my bum used to look great. My lower body is fairly decent but my upper body sux *kitten*
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    *kitten* this thread is making me regret quitting gym :( I was the cardio queen of my gym. I did weight training only for lower body and my bum used to look great. My lower body is fairly decent but my upper body sux *kitten*

Just get back to the gym! If I can do it you can! With weight lifting you see results immediately!
  • Reema_capricorn
    edited August 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Just get back to the gym! If I can do it you can! With weight lifting you see results immediately!

Well yeah I am terrified of gymming coz I immediately put on 20 kgs after I quit. Now I just walk a lot and I have started jogging to keep my metabolism up and I am also unemployed so can't go back to gymming :(