Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Weight training has done amazing things to my body. In 5 months:

Lost 10cm from my hips
    Lost 8cm from my waist
    My posture has improved
    My jeans have gone from uk14 to uk10
    Gone from large/xl to medium
    No more bingo wings
    Lost 5kg
    Skin has improved
    Pms symptoms have nearly disappeared completely

I do a full body workout 6 days a week (50mins or so). Now trying to sort my eating and maybe add a bit of cardio to drop more bodyweight by Christmas.

Nice job! What full body workout do you do? I love SL5x5. I started walking 5 miles every day because I have a hard time not eating sweets! I need to burn some extra calories so I can lose weight and still indulge occasionally! How many calories do you average in a day?

My workouts were created for me by my PT (who I see once a week), it's 3 sets of 10 of a whole bunch of compound stuff. Workout A is squats, SLDLs, bench, single arm rows, Arnold's, lat pull downs, dips. I have a workout B of alternative exercises (leg press, weighted lunges, incline chest press, seated rows, etc.) too so I can alternate each day and don't get bored, and we've also done stuff with kettlebells and trx equipment to mix it up! I looked at SL5x5 and thought it was really good but I decided to start with a PT so I could get good form and to push me harder. I also do a 30min session with another trainer, focussing on one compound lift per week - it's a class but I'm often the only participant so it's like free PT!

My calories are set at 1300 because of my age, height and my job. I stick to it for 3/4 days a week (good intentions Monday - Thursday!) then go spectacularly off track! I'm probably averaging around 1800 per day across the whole week. Since I've been weight training, I've increased my protein which has helped and I don't feel hungry, but I love food and wine too much so I've decided to add some cardio workouts and increase my step count on my fitbit so I can lose a bit more weight. I'd like to lose 3.5kg by Christmas. Walking 5 miles a day like you would probably give me enough of a deficit to achieve it by then.

How are you getting on with SL5x5? Do you enjoy it?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    My calories are set at 1300 because of my age, height and my job. I stick to it for 3/4 days a week (good intentions Monday - Thursday!) then go spectacularly off track! I'm probably averaging around 1800 per day across the whole week. Since I've been weight training, I've increased my protein which has helped and I don't feel hungry, but I love food and wine too much so I've decided to add some cardio workouts and increase my step count on my fitbit so I can lose a bit more weight. I'd like to lose 3.5kg by Christmas. Walking 5 miles a day like you would probably give me enough of a deficit to achieve it by then.

I love SL I just want to do more lifting. I added sumo squats and will add bicep curls and shoulder shrugs. I am definitely going to continue to walk 5 miles/day to see if I can lose some weight. I would make every person I know do SL if I could because of how it transformed my body.
  • GigiOshun1
    GigiOshun1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • icemaiden37
    Options

I love SL I just want to do more lifting. I added sumo squats and will add bicep curls and shoulder shrugs. I am definitely going to continue to walk 5 miles/day to see if I can lose some weight. I would make every person I know do SL if I could because of how it transformed my body.

Careful what you wish for - if everyone did SL5x5 you'd never be able to use the squat rack! I wish more women did heavy weights though - a little part of me dies inside when I see women wasting time in the gym doing exercises with barely any weight, when they could clearly manage something more substantial.

About 6 weeks ago, I added lateral raises and upright rows at the end of my workout, on the advice of the trainer who takes the compound lift class. Went to a legs, bums and tums class last night and couldn't stop looking at my own shoulders in the mirror!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    dlmkdddm07w0.jpg

Picking up and putting down heavy things all day long! :D

You could be a poster woman for women picking up heavy things and putting them down. Awesome result.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options

You could be a poster woman for women picking up heavy things and putting them down. Awesome result.

Thank you :)

Looking forward to see what I can take to the stage next year
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why my post a little while ago got reported as 'abuse'? Did someone not like my mismatched underwear in the before photo or bikini in the current (not after - I haven't got to after yet) photo? Bizzare.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Yep I got two flags on my pic in here too
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    To the silly person(s) who are flagging these awesome women's hard work:

Please, get off the internet...
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

QFT!!!! Haters gonna hate. Go eat your cake and stop hatin'
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    LadyKT wrote: »

What do you mean flagging?
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    xMallie wrote: »
    I pretty much only lift weights, I do cardio but not nearly as much as my lifting, and in the past 10-11 months I've lost 27kg/ 59lbs
    not close to my goal yet but I'm getting there!
    WEIGHT LIFTING FOR THE WIN!
    11aznzb.jpg
    Side
    dyq59w.png
    Back
    jqq22s.png

Good luck ladies and thank you all for being so inspirational. You are all what keeps me going! <3333
    Damn! Girl very impressive! ! I worry I won't get flat belly or abs but you show me it's possible! Thank you for sharing. .
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why my post a little while ago got reported as 'abuse'? Did someone not like my mismatched underwear in the before photo or bikini in the current (not after - I haven't got to after yet) photo? Bizzare.

Bikini ok but knickers not. Yep, stupid I know.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    LadyKT wrote: »

What do you mean flagging?

Someone's flagging their before/after pictures. (i.e. hitting the 'flag' button under their post, indicating the post is abusive and should be investigated)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Everyone is looking great!

Also, as a side note, if you notice inappropriate flagging, you can report it, and the mods will clean it up for you.
  • ruby1867221
    ruby1867221 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too but try to do 30mins is weight training like power pump?
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I gained the weight from ca
    pfcgtcstmlqs.jpg
    b14zusm98ioz.jpg
    dlmkdddm07w0.jpg

Picking up and putting down heavy things all day long! :D

And you look awesome!! Congrats on having the guts to be figure competitor!!!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies! I've finally read them all. QUESTION: what do you input for a calorie burn on mfp when you're lifting?
  • icemaiden37
    Options
    There's a cardio entry for strength training. But I always amend the number of calories burnt to 1 so I don't get tempted to eat all my calories back.