Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• AnnaGalbina
    AnnaGalbina Posts: 20 Member
    I just started my journey (7lbs down) and I've asked a friend to accompany me to the gym and show me how to lift, we go next week! I am so nervous! Anything I need to know or should expect from lifting for the first time? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    I just started my journey (7lbs down) and I've asked a friend to accompany me to the gym and show me how to lift, we go next week! I am so nervous! Anything I need to know or should expect from lifting for the first time? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Is your friend a personal trainer? I've heard too many horror stories of people showing other people how to lift with no experience in teaching correct form.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member

Form, form, form, form, form. Don't let your friend or anyone else stack a bunch of weight on you--start by mastering form. Youtube has lots of good video options (Mark Rippetoe and Alan Thrall are two good people to learn from) to give you an idea what you should be trying to do, and make sure you can see yourself in the mirror or have someone video you to make sure you're on track. Don't be scared of lifting, but do respect your body and pay attention to what you're doing. You'll get stronger quickly enough, just make sure you're taking care of yourself while you do it. Are you going to be following a program? That's usually advised for beginners, to give you some structure and guidance. Good luck getting started!
  • milsteven
    milsteven Posts: 10 Member
    WOW you ladies all look amazing. I would love to do weights but don't know where to start? I am a member of a gym, where they do body pump classes. Or should I be doing free weights?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    You might want to check out this older thread it has a lot of information on different lifting programs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    bumpity bump
  • jcj170927
    jcj170927 Posts: 5 Member
    Hey, everyone ! I started weight training at the beginning of may and I haven't lost one pound! before that I was juicing and lost 10 pounds after that I started training I noticed there was no difference so I stopped juicing and added more food protein and 1400-1500 calorie intake , I do from 20-30 min of cardio and 40-50 min of weights 4-5 days a week (With a trainer ) , I know I'm gaining muscle but I feel frustrated how long until I see more results??? any tips tia
  • jcj170927
    jcj170927 Posts: 5 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    jcj170927 wrote: »
    Hey, everyone ! I started weight training at the beginning of may and I haven't lost one pound! before that I was juicing and lost 10 pounds after that I started training I noticed there was no difference so I stopped juicing and added more food protein and 1400-1500 calorie intake , I do from 20-30 min of cardio and 40-50 min of weights 4-5 days a week (With a trainer ) , I know I'm gaining muscle but I feel frustrated how long until I see more results??? any tips tia

You're kind of all over the place.

First, do you have weight/fat to lose or not?

When you were juicing, you were in a calorie deficit. Eventually, training aside, you were not in a deficit. Especially after adding calories with food, and especially if your food was not weighed and logged accurately.

First, define your goal. Then re-ask the question.

thanks, Bell & I know I'm a mess :D I'm all new to this so my goal is to loose weight I am currently at 198pounds
    I am eating very healthy id say 90% and I did start meal prepping so my food is weighed
  • april3888
    april3888 Posts: 40 Member
    Do you all lift at a gym? I would LOVE to have results like these but all I have at home is two 25lb dumbells. I am not a member of a gym.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    april3888 wrote: »
    Do you all lift at a gym? I would LOVE to have results like these but all I have at home is two 25lb dumbells. I am not a member of a gym.

I lift at a gym, but i also have some stuff at home for days that i cant make it. You can substitute a lot of equipment for things you have at home, i.e. water bottles, books, step stools, scarves or belts (resistance band).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

I will substitute a calisthenics routine for upper body if I can't make it to the gym. Ring pull-ups, ring dips, push-ups, handstands, etc. Lower body is harder.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member

Currently I lift at a gym 2x/week on my own. Two days a week I work with my Coach/Personal Trainer in person.
  • khakasa
    khakasa Posts: 6 Member
    Whew! I've gone through this thread start to finish! Amazing pics. So much inspiration here.
    I started lifting seriously about two months ago. I'm doing Stronglifts. Trying to lose weight while maintaining (and maybe even gaining) muscle. I'm currently 92kgs, 5'8".
    Last year I did lots of cardio-only workouts and lost 12kgs, but I gained most of it back in quick succession. I realised I lost some muscle too coz even though I was watching my diet (though not as closely), I kept regaining the weight!
    So I have changed my strategy. Hopefully strength training while on a deficit will give me more reliable and longterm results.
    I'm also experimenting with an aggressive deficit (1200-1350cal daily) with an all-out cheat day every two weeks (3000-4000cal every other Saturday). I was getting discouraged about how slow things were progressing with a moderate deficit. I'm seeing some changes now...
    Anyway, I'm looking for friends who lift heavy for some inspiration. Please be my friend? Thanks!
    Keep up the awesomeness ladies.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member

I lift at home but I bought a used power cage with bench, bar & free weights. I got some dumbbells & bands, too. It's really all I need.

You could do a lot with adjustable DBs
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Great job @Hamsibian! I can see you've gained some muscle in your bicep/shoulder. It looks like you've been working hard to eat well and get the gainzzzz.