Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Right....read a bit more at lunchtime and downloaded the 5x5 app on my phone....Bring it on!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Good morning amazing ladies! I'm just starting to incorporate more weights into my week....previously have been doing more combat/bodypump/spinning classes only, but at almost 45, am wanting to up the ante a bit. Have had a peek at some of these posts and there are definitely some inspiring pictures. I'm 5ft 4 and 163lbs so not expecting to lose lbs as such, but do want to attack those bits that have decided that "middle age" is approaching fast!!

I'll be reading through more posts in my lunchbreak.....and very much looking forward to it! Thanks already :)

I am 47 and I did it.. I am still working on it.... There is HOPE FOR ALL THAT PICK UP THE WEIGHTS..

BTW, EVERYONE HERE IS SIMPLY FABULOUS AND GORGEOUS LADIES...!!!!! :):)
  • kimiuzzell
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Good morning amazing ladies! I'm just starting to incorporate more weights into my week....previously have been doing more combat/bodypump/spinning classes only, but at almost 45, am wanting to up the ante a bit. Have had a peek at some of these posts and there are definitely some inspiring pictures. I'm 5ft 4 and 163lbs so not expecting to lose lbs as such, but do want to attack those bits that have decided that "middle age" is approaching fast!!

I'll be reading through more posts in my lunchbreak.....and very much looking forward to it! Thanks already :)

I am 47 and I did it.. I am still working on it.... There is HOPE FOR ALL THAT PICK UP THE WEIGHTS..

BTW, EVERYONE HERE IS SIMPLY FABULOUS AND GORGEOUS LADIES...!!!!! :):)

Thank you. I'm coming from a reasonable starting point I think. I'm planning on simply swapping my spin classes that I do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning before work for a 5x5 session. I can do my other classes in between and at weekends. I don't want to drop them all as I do quite enjoy them but I do accept I need to shift my focus if i want to be stronger. I'm a typical pear, although I'm becoming a bit more balanced in my top and bottom halves, so looking forward to developing killer hourglass curves!!

I already eat fairly well so whilst I am not going to stress about it, I shall be tweaking our meal planning as and when needed :)
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You ladies (and your results!) never fail to further inspire me to continue lifting heavy!! Great job all.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Right....as a direct result of the inspirational photos on this thread, and the proof that women my age can lift, be strong and look a-ma-zing......I have done my first SL 5x5 workout before work this morning. "before" photos have been done and I will report back and hopefully be able to inspire someone in the way that you lot have inspired me!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Right....as a direct result of the inspirational photos on this thread, and the proof that women my age can lift, be strong and look a-ma-zing......I have done my first SL 5x5 workout before work this morning. "before" photos have been done and I will report back and hopefully be able to inspire someone in the way that you lot have inspired me!

Yeah! I am so excited for you! You will be very happy with the results!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ugh wish I knew how and what to do. It doesn't help that I am the worlds weakest woman lol like seriously I strain to lift my 3 year old and the most I've done is 25 pounds on any of the machines at the gym and I was dying
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Ugh wish I knew how and what to do. It doesn't help that I am the worlds weakest woman lol like seriously I strain to lift my 3 year old and the most I've done is 25 pounds on any of the machines at the gym and I was dying

Well then, you're going to love the results of weight lifting! You can start with Dumbbells and work your way up to the barbell. Just do all of the compound lifts with them. Make sure to increase the weight each time. Get the Stronglifts 5x5 app and just change the weight amounts. Only increase by a lb at a time.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I just had a session with a new pt to check my form and he said I'm doing really well!!
    I'm loving my newfound confidence that comes from lifting. Keep it up ladies!!! You're all doing great!!!!!
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    60ibwsffmw0q.jpg

Everyone here looks so amazing! Love seeing all of you A** kicking women!

Holy crap, you look AMAZING! I want to be like you when I grow up :)
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    cni68cc4qt5x.jpg

My little contribution. Don't have a before pic. This is on my way. So in a year this will be the before pic. :D

You all rock, dear girls, moms, women, sisters and daughters!!!!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Congrats on your first SL5x5 workout! Can't wait to see your "after photos" :)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    memickee wrote: »
    60ibwsffmw0q.jpg

Everyone here looks so amazing! Love seeing all of you A** kicking women!

Holy crap, you look AMAZING! I want to be like you when I grow up :)

:#:#:#
    You're making me blush pretty lady. Thanks!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    [

Congrats on your first SL5x5 workout! Can't wait to see your "after photos" :)

Thanks.....I can't wait to see them either!! Must be patient, must be patient, must be....aaarrggghhhh I want it NOW!!!!!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I purchased the powerblocks, do you think that you can get just as good of a work out with Dumbbells as barbells? If your form is good, what is the difference? Thx :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies! I purchased the powerblocks, do you think that you can get just as good of a work out with Dumbbells as barbells? If your form is good, what is the difference? Thx :smile:

You will eventually transition to the barbell because of constantly adding weight even if it's a lb at a time. Do goblet squats for squats. Google them they have videos.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You will see a difference really fast, @kimiuzzell - seven weeks in and I'm quite amazed. I'd been lifting weights for a while, but kind of half heartedly and not increasing the weight much.
    And in fact I have you, @fanncy0626, to thank for getting me started on stronglifts! I've been meaning to say, it was your amazing 'after' picture that made me think, man, I have to do this :-)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    And in fact I have you, @fanncy0626, to thank for getting me started on stronglifts! I've been meaning to say, it was your amazing 'after' picture that made me think, man, I have to do this :-)

Thank you so much! I am glad that I am able to inspire others like I have been inspired by the other people on this thread and other thread as well! Together we can do it!
  • KristiMBrennan
    KristiMBrennan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I have picked up here is that it is a commitment of...a year or two to get the body-changing results. Not weeks or even months. And deficit eating as well. It is that mind-set for a long-term commitment that is needed.

Any comments/advice from post-menopause women? Very confusing time (in all ways!) w hormone changes. I started HRT, which has been SO helpful to help (not fix) sleep, mood, etc. But...we can't turn back the clock, bodies change and body chemistry changes HRT or no. A steady gain over the past few years, just can't seem to take it off. Decided to abstain from alcohol (difficult, I enjoy wine, and beer on game days!), need to step up the exercise - heavier weight training (I do an exercise class 4xweek), maybe invest in a trainer, take carbs out of the diet pretty completely - especially refined/processed anything. Anyone have experience, thoughts. advice?