Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Well, I've seen distinct results, fast! I had already lost weight though, so the muscles do show more quickly I suppose.
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just needing to vent to my fellow woman lifters,iv been lifting for over a month ,have been feeling gud i lost 5lbs nd felt like i was looking better ,me and my husband had a kid free weekend so i did go over my calories but not to extremes so i wasnt to worried i get up this morning i gained back the 5lbs my pants are really tight today(they wer the big pants) and im sure everyone at some point has felt like ther husband is very lets say difficult to deal with,then i get to work thers a lady waiting for her apt. (Wich was not with me) who felt that the world turns when she tells it to! Aaaaaahhh im ready to kick somebody in the head!!!! :s
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    megcorey wrote: »
    Just needing to vent to my fellow woman lifters,iv been lifting for over a month ,have been feeling gud i lost 5lbs nd felt like i was looking better ,me and my husband had a kid free weekend so i did go over my calories but not to extremes so i wasnt to worried i get up this morning i gained back the 5lbs my pants are really tight today(they wer the big pants) and im sure everyone at some point has felt like ther husband is very lets say difficult to deal with,then i get to work thers a lady waiting for her apt. (Wich was not with me) who felt that the world turns when she tells it to! Aaaaaahhh im ready to kick somebody in the head!!!! :s

Sorry that happened to you! It probably is water weight gain or intestinal bloating. You would have had to eat an awful lot of food to put on 5 lbs of fat. Eat clean, drink your water and exercise as normal for a few days and then weigh yourself and I'm sure you will see a big difference!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I have picked up here is that it is a commitment of...a year or two to get the body-changing results. Not weeks or even months. And deficit eating as well. It is that mind-set for a long-term commitment that is needed.

Any comments/advice from post-menopause women? Very confusing time (in all ways!) w hormone changes. I started HRT, which has been SO helpful to help (not fix) sleep, mood, etc. But...we can't turn back the clock, bodies change and body chemistry changes HRT or no. A steady gain over the past few years, just can't seem to take it off. Decided to abstain from alcohol (difficult, I enjoy wine, and beer on game days!), need to step up the exercise - heavier weight training (I do an exercise class 4xweek), maybe invest in a trainer, take carbs out of the diet pretty completely - especially refined/processed anything. Anyone have experience, thoughts. advice?

Hi! I'm going to be 58 years old next Monday and I am 4 years post menopausal. I never did HRT because of the side affects. I just suffered with the night sweats and hot flashes. I gained at least 70 pounds. I yo-yoed for the last 6 years. The last 4 months everything has subsided and am pretty well back to normal. Keep a calendar of your hot flashes. They usually happen when you would normally have had your period and last the same amount of time. At least then you would know when to dress in layers so that you can peel them off!

I joined MFP last October and that is when I started to monitor what I ate and increased my exercise. I started lifting in March and that is when my body really started to make noticeable changes. I do Stronglifts 5X5 and lost 24 inches total. Research stronglifts.com. I have the mobile app on my phone. I love lifting because of the results. Keep strength training. Make sure you are eating enough protein. Stay away from processed food, pop,sugar, and alcohol,( a small glass of red wine has it's own health benefits). Stay on this thread and other people will help and support you!
  • shan11180
    shan11180 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Lifting 5x per week on a deficit and working with a trainer. I killed it every single session.
    PhotoGrid_1381545395505_zps593a6333.jpg
    IMG_20130809_195151_zps202d6e0e.jpg

My overall results of lifting from start to now.
    IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg

Holy F!! How long has it taken you to transform like that! you look freaking incredible!!!

Thank you! In total 3 years. I'm a single mom and only worked out on my lunch hour. May have been slow, but it was more than worth it.

LOVE! I too am a crazy busy mom with 3 kiddos and go to the gym on my lunch break. I'm so happy to hear that this is possible!!!!! THANK YOU for posting!!!!!!! :smiley:
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    BTW,
    There is a Stronglifts group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I mostly just lurk there, but its very inspirational and keeps me on track.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I have picked up here is that it is a commitment of...a year or two to get the body-changing results. Not weeks or even months. And deficit eating as well. It is that mind-set for a long-term commitment that is needed.

Any comments/advice from post-menopause women? Very confusing time (in all ways!) w hormone changes. I started HRT, which has been SO helpful to help (not fix) sleep, mood, etc. But...we can't turn back the clock, bodies change and body chemistry changes HRT or no. A steady gain over the past few years, just can't seem to take it off. Decided to abstain from alcohol (difficult, I enjoy wine, and beer on game days!), need to step up the exercise - heavier weight training (I do an exercise class 4xweek), maybe invest in a trainer, take carbs out of the diet pretty completely - especially refined/processed anything. Anyone have experience, thoughts. advice?

I did HRT for 10 months 9 years ago and stopped it. All the symptoms except insomnia went away on their own. I have been weight training since May. Lost about 28 lbs and it definitely is not going fast. However, I am so much stronger and in shape. I love it! Lost 7.5" from my waist and even after 6 months training (almost every day) the muscle definitions already start to show all over my body. And as true health benefits go, my heart rate is lower and I sleep like a baby again. The insomnia is gone. Good diet is super important. Largely decreased eating/drinking dairy; eating bread, drinking alcohol (love cocktails), and increased protein. I don't take any vitamins, but I have a scoop of strawberry flavored whey protein to supplement my diet almost every day.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Looking great ladies
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    hugheseva wrote: »

I did HRT for 10 months 9 years ago and stopped it. All the symptoms except insomnia went away on their own. I have been weight training since May. Lost about 28 lbs and it definitely is not going fast. However, I am so much stronger and in shape. I love it! Lost 7.5" from my waist and even after 6 months training (almost every day) the muscle definitions already start to show all over my body. And as true health benefits go, my heart rate is lower and I sleep like a baby again. The insomnia is gone. Good diet is super important. Largely decreased eating/drinking dairy; eating bread, drinking alcohol (love cocktails), and increased protein. I don't take any vitamins, but I have a scoop of strawberry flavored whey protein to supplement my diet almost every day.
    Fantastic job shrinking your tummy and getting definition ! I'm Very inspired to get going on weight training !
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

It's slow and it's not. At the beginning, you gain strength very quickly, and I felt like I felt and looked somewhat better almost immediately. But for a truly muscular-looking physique, you can either do bulk-and-cut cycles (which doesn't appeal to me personally) or just be dogged about it. I switched from dumbbells to barbells at the end of January and I look pretty different now (in the mirror and in photos). More importantly, I feel different. Being strong has so many benefits beyond looking good (not that I'm so high-minded--I flex in the bathroom mirror just as much as the next person). If you're fixated on the number on the scale, you won't get a lot of satisfaction from it when lifting, but it also tends to get less important as you have other numbers to occupy your mind. I don't know who told you that you MUST eat at a deficit--it all depends what your goals are.

I'm 49 and (knock wood) I think I'm post-menopausal. No HRT due to family history. Hot flashes were intense, and I will say that I noticed while lifting I would often have a hot flash. (Mine tend to come on in stressful situations, and I guess you're stressing out your body.) But lifting usually lowers your body fat, and lower body fat can make your periods go away. I felt as if it helped me tip over from perimenopause to full-on menopause, but nobody really knows.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi

From 2010-2012 I lost 33 kg. I'm 5'2 and got down to 57 kg. I look good at 57, even at 60 as I have some muscle.

The last 2 winters I put back on 9 kg but each spring/summer I got back to 57 in the space of 7 months.

This time around I've been recomping eating what I think has been somewhere around a 5 % defecit. SW was 66kg

I'm 8 weeks in and for the past month my scale has fluctuated between 63 kg - 64.4 kg. The scale has pretty much stayed about the same but I have lost fat. I tried my black australian size 8 skirt on a month ago and could not even do the zipper up at all. I tried it on a couple of days ago and I was amazed! I was able to zip it all the way up!! It's still tight though but I'm working on it. I'll try it on again in another month and see how it fits. I'm hoping to fit into it again in around maybe 8-10 weeks time I'm not sure. Im so glad I tried it on that morning as I was down because the scale read 64.4kg.

A bit of background. I lift heavy twice a week. I have a running program I follow 3 times a week (sprints and intervals anywhere from 100 metres - 1.2 km) I run because im getting fit for my sport. Preason starts in January. My times have improved and my performance in the weight room has improved. I'm getting stronger and lifting heavier. I also walk to and from work 4 days a week.

I'm interested in following this recomp through until I get to the same size as I was when I was 57 kg. When I got to 57 I was lifting heavy and running too. I started eating at a moderate defecit of between 10-20% around 1800-1900 calories the first couple of months, then as I lost the weight rather than decreasing my calories further like a lot of people do I increased my calories and defecit got smaller. The last 1-2 months I was eating between 0-10 % defecit.

But I'm also keen to drop my calories down and eat around 10 - 20 % defecit to lose a little quicker.

Here are my gross calorie amounts I ate to achieve the loss I've had

Week 1 - 2045
    Week 2 - 1983
    Week 3 - 2058
    Week 4 - 2187
    Week 5 - 1860
    Week 6 - 1985
    Week 7 - 2112

My goal has been to eat 1900 calories.

In the last couple of days I've tweaked a few things in my diet to try to stay under 2000 calories so I'll see how I go.

It's exciting that I have been able to do that skirt up now and the scale hasn't moved! So that's how I know I've progressed. I'm taking photos every 2 months this time around.

Actually as long as I keep losing fat and inches and my performance in the weight room and on the track improves I'm fine if it takes anywhere between 6-12 months to get back to 57 kg. And maybe this time 59 kg would be more realistic to maintain. The main reason I want to get bak to 57 is because its the number I got to twice before in the last 5 years & it would mean less impact on my joints being at a lighter scale weight. However the benefits of being 59 kg means I'd be able to eat a bit more and it's a scale weight I could more easily maintain. I got to 57 & then found I hovered mostly in the 59's so I didn't stay 57 for long.

Edited to add:

When I eventually get to 60 kg I am going to do a never ending 0-5 % recomp. I don't like the word maintenance. I'll try hard to have that little bit of a defecit 90 % of the time and I should be fine.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lifting 5x per week on a deficit and working with a trainer. I killed it every single session.
    PhotoGrid_1381545395505_zps593a6333.jpg
    IMG_20130809_195151_zps202d6e0e.jpg

My overall results of lifting from start to now.
    IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg

WOW! you are my hero! LOL

Great job!!!!
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    I've been lifting for over a year now. Started June 2013 after my 6 week postpartum check up after having my second baby. Erm, started out at 170 lbs at 5'3.5".

2mh7v9y.jpg
    246syh2.jpg

2ir156q.jpg
    an0jma.jpg
    5y6ro7.jpg
    2jaj4tf.jpg
    For those afraid to be all bulky and things lol:
    2lcnuc6.jpg
    2ppkevc.jpg
    2zoyx7d.jpg
    I ended at 115 lbs before I started bulking in mid February. I've only gained 6 lbs but this made me super happy

21l5o2g.jpg

Sorry for the spam D: this has truly been the best thing I have done fitness-wise in my entire life. Weightlifting means the world to me. I feel like a badass and I hope to do it forever. I've learned and have grown so much from patience under the barbell.

Love all you lifting ladies! Keep being incredible. And for those scared to start, don't be just do it! :D

Wow*!*
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    After losing about 30 lbs from diet and cardio only (March 2014 157 lbs):

rwTtT6h.jpg

After 6 months weight training while eating maintenance to surplus (September 2014 168 lbs):

iYARkL4.jpg

I have gained 11 lbs but have lost 4 inches off my waist, 1 off my hips, 1 and a half off my thigh. My body continues to get smaller and tighter and I am eating damn near 3000 calories a day on average. Planning a cut in November to drop the last of the fat.

nice
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    60ibwsffmw0q.jpg

Everyone here looks so amazing! Love seeing all of you A** kicking women!

HOLY CANNOLI, you look amazing!!!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options

HOLY CANNOLI, you look amazing!!!

:):):) Thank you! I literally LOL'd at the "HOLY CANNOLI"
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @KellyAnn1286 amazing!! You dont even look like the same person. I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but what does your typical diet and workout routine consist of?

I'm inspired by a lot of the ladies here, and I LOVE lifting weights but i find myself getting stuck or confused, lack of consistency kicks in and the cycle repeats. I start one program and realize a) that with the set up I have at home (cant afford a gym) I can't do 5x5 that a lot of the "success stories" here do or b) I always change up my macros bc i feel like i put on muscle too quickly, rather than burn the fat that I need to in order to be "tiny with muscle" like I want to be.
    Any words of encouragement or tips are appreciated. Thanks!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LadyKT! Between those two pictures I ate around 1700-1800 calories per day with I think macros of 40P/25F/35C (might have been 40/30/30). I adjusted my macros many times and found the weight came off the quickest with that. I did crossfit classes 3-4x a week and sometimes ran 3-4 miles on the weekend when I felt like it.

Now I eat 30P/40F/30C and about 2200 calories (though my diary is set to 1800 I don't weigh much or log random bites, milk in my coffee etc. so I assume I eat 500 calories over what I log). I eat mostly meat, veggies, fruits, beans and full fat dairy (usually don't eat wheat due to an intolerance). Now I train 6 days a week. Sundays are rest days, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I usually run a strength cycle (think bench, squats, presses and accessory work) and then do whatever the crossfit workout of the day is. Tuesday I train with an Olympic coach on clean and jerks and snatches (i'm hoping to be competitive some day), Thursdays I just do the crossfit workout of the day and Saturdays I do whatever the crossfit workout is and then a yoga class afterwards to help with mobility.
    LadyKT wrote: »
    I always change up my macros bc i feel like i put on muscle too quickly, rather than burn the fat that I need to in order to be "tiny with muscle" like I want to be.

As far as that is concerned I found that once I switched to my current macros, high fat, moderate carb and protein i've been able to lose a lot of fat and get pretty lean while maintaining my current muscle mass. While I do attribute much of the change in my body shape to lifting heavy weights, if you don't have access to bars and free weights there is a ton of body weight stuff you can do to build muscle and strength (look into TRX stuff for the home, it's relatively cheap).

Hope this helps!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump