lol @ eating donuts

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    While I also tire of the IIFYM crowd posting as if they live off junk food and posting pics of ridiculously high calorie foods, I do not for one second believe that all I need to do is eat 5 meals a day that are low fat, moderate carbs and high protein and my abs will magically look like the OP's.

Well, I didn't read through the whole thread (all the gifs hurt my eyes), but...

Obviously the OP has a dedicated weight regimen. It's not hard for me to believe he eschews Pop-Tarts, ice cream, and the like (since I've done it myself in the past, and many don't worship those types of foods to the extent that some seem to do here), since the extra carbs, sugar, etc. don't really help you look any better (even if they don't hinder you).

I see many posting cute pics and memes, but can we see an example of someone with a fit body that eats thousands of calories a week of this "bad" (to some) food? I'm not talking just about being "not overweight." Maybe some of us want a little more than that. Why can't some of these Pop-Tart eaters show pics of their abs?

If we can get ripped eating "empty" calories, please educate us.

Actually, a lot of the self-proclaimed pop-tart (or other junk food) eaters are quite ripped. The peeve I have is that they routinely posts as if they eat junk as the mainstay of their diet, when in fact, it is a very tiny part of their diet. It's the "Look at me, I'm fit and eat a lot of junk" misrepresentation that I don't understand.

I agree.

But mostly I think people are so in your face about it because they are trying to make people understand that ice cream and poptarts, etc are not the devil and will not harm your goals when consumed in moderation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The point is that a lot of people are eating mostly food they don't talk about, and talking about food they don't eat particularly much of. Food bragging is pretty common, and pretty silly in most cases.

So then I must be the exception being that essentially all of my fats/carbs are derived from donuts.
    Of course it's silly, and people like silly.

I agree, and there's a great forum for silly on this site. "General diet and weight loss help" isn't particularly served by pictures of fried butter or whatever catches the fancy of someone who isn't hurting for calories. I eat ~3000, and it's completely pointless to tell these poor random folks trying to lose weight what I'm eating.

Anyway, I'm on board with IIFYM. But I don't think food brags help people much. Shrugs.

I think that they do. So, so many people think these foods are automatically unhealthy. It's good to help convince them they can work these delicious items into their diets.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The point is that a lot of people are eating mostly food they don't talk about, and talking about food they don't eat particularly much of. Food bragging is pretty common, and pretty silly in most cases.

So then I must be the exception being that essentially all of my fats/carbs are derived from donuts.

I agree, and there's a great forum for silly on this site. "General diet and weight loss help" isn't particularly served by pictures of fried butter or whatever catches the fancy of someone who isn't hurting for calories. I eat ~3000, and it's completely pointless to tell these poor random folks trying to lose weight what I'm eating.

Anyway, I'm on board with IIFYM. But I don't think food brags help people much. Shrugs.

I think that they do. So, so many people think these foods are automatically unhealthy. It's good to help convince them they can work these delicious items into their diets.

We go back and forth on this. I agree people should look at the bigger picture. But this is like talking about the "twinkie diet" - there's important knowledge in the story, but it was not even close to a "twinkie diet". It should not be represented as a "twinkie diet", because that's a lie.

Incorporating intake of "yummy" foods, within the greater context of a calorie deficit and macros, is great. People shouldn't be freaking out over the thought of eating a pop tart. It's also important to keep in mind that some people are working with an extra 1000+ calories over the deficit folks, which makes this concept much easier to implement. "Eat all the foods!" turns into more like "eat some of some foods, some of the time, if your macros allow it".
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Define "very tiny part". Is ice cream daily very tiny? Fast food a few times a week? Very tiny seems like a real undefined kind of arbitrary statement. Can we get a percentage so that the ripped IIFYM people can decide who fits and who doesn't?

Maybe half the calories? The actual sketchy eaters do tend to be on weight loss plans. Eating a half cup of ice cream after chicken breast and broccoli is not worth talking about.

What? Anything less than half their diet is "tiny"?

If you want to argue about the definition of "tiny", go for it.

Then you look at, say, magerum's diary and he's actually eating what he's talking about.

I'm barely keeping up with this conversation, but I eat what I'm talking about...or what I say I eat, I actually eat. (The almost four cups of ice cream on the 20th, for example.) But honestly, I've lost track of what the argument even is at this point.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

if i couldnt have worked all the good stuff into my weight loss plan, i would have said eff it, im staying fat! i would never, ever give up things i like, just to be thin... i want my cake and i want to eat it too... plus the donut... so, i fit all the good stuff in... donuts, french pastries, candy, chips, beer, french fries, burgers, etc... and shed 100 pounds in 11 months... these "bad" foods are only "bad" when you make them "bad" by consuming way more than your share on a regular basis...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    While I also tire of the IIFYM crowd posting as if they live off junk food and posting pics of ridiculously high calorie foods, I do not for one second believe that all I need to do is eat 5 meals a day that are low fat, moderate carbs and high protein and my abs will magically look like the OP's.

Well, I didn't read through the whole thread (all the gifs hurt my eyes), but...

Obviously the OP has a dedicated weight regimen. It's not hard for me to believe he eschews Pop-Tarts, ice cream, and the like (since I've done it myself in the past, and many don't worship those types of foods to the extent that some seem to do here), since the extra carbs, sugar, etc. don't really help you look any better (even if they don't hinder you).

I see many posting cute pics and memes, but can we see an example of someone with a fit body that eats thousands of calories a week of this "bad" (to some) food? I'm not talking just about being "not overweight." Maybe some of us want a little more than that. Why can't some of these Pop-Tart eaters show pics of their abs?

I eat Pop-Tarts on occasion and ice-cream every day. Depending on my calorie allowance for that day will depend on how much. I also eat lots of fruit and veggies (usually) and other nutrient dense foods.

There are a lot of people who fit treats into their day who are on my FL who have visible abs and are ripped.

Extra carbs are very good to fuel a workout so I would argue that it does not help.

On the flip side, when I am doing a heavier cut, I have less 'goodies' as I have less room to play with. I still eat ice-cream every day. I just have smaller portions or low-fat or low sugar (depending on what I can fit into my macros) options.

There really is no such thing as an empty calorie.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    if i couldnt have worked all the good stuff into my weight loss plan, i would have said eff it, im staying fat! i would never, ever give up things i like, just to be thin... i want my cake and i want to eat it too... plus the donut... so, i fit all the good stuff in... donuts, french pastries, candy, chips, beer, french fries, burgers, etc... and shed 100 pounds in 11 months... these "bad" foods are only "bad" when you make them "bad" by consuming way more than your share on a regular basis...
    Yes and yes! :drinker: I've lost 122lbs in 15 months and never could've stayed on track if I hadn't learned that I can still have all the foods I enjoy and still be successful.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I eat Pop-Tarts on occasion and ice-cream every day. Depending on my calorie allowance for that day will depend on how much. I also eat lots of fruit and veggies (usually) and other nutrient dense foods.

There are a lot of people who fit treats into their day who are on my FL who have visible abs and are ripped.

Extra carbs are very good to fuel a workout so I would argue that it does not help.

On the flip side, when I am doing a heavier cut, I have less 'goodies' as I have less room to play with. I still eat ice-cream every day. I just have smaller portions or low-fat or low sugar (depending on what I can fit into my macros) options.

There really is no such thing as an empty calorie.

Thank you for explaining how someone who is obviously fit works these types of foods into their diet. I also appreciate the fact that you described some of the decision-making process, with regards to what your goals are at the moment (i.e. working towards a "heavier" cut). This moderate view on how IIFYM is actually implemented isn't very common here.

Please note that my use of "empty" was in quotes. Although I certainly feel some calories are empty (e.g. soda -- and I hope no one mentions how hard it is to get my sugar otherwise...LMAO!), I certainly wouldn't describe ice cream and Pop-Tarts in such a way (which, although perhaps not a staple in my diet, can certainly contribute to good health).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you have to be "ripped" (extremely low body fat %) to be fit?
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options
    Are you saying that you have to be "ripped" (extremely low body fat %) to be fit?

We all have our own definition of what "fit" means to us, I am sure.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

That's not what I asked.

And if you're saying, "someone cannot achieve (some imaginary constantly moving standard that only exists in my own head) with some particular diet" then why should anyone even care whether or not that statement is true?
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

That's not what I asked.

And if you're saying, "someone cannot achieve (some imaginary constantly moving standard that only exists in my own head) with some particular diet" then why should anyone even care whether or not that statement is true?

Well, what exists "in my own head" is certainly important to me (obviously, but it seems things like that have to be explained here). And, not for nothing, my definition of "fit" isn't all that uncommon.

Plus, I originally asked if you could get "ripped" eating whatever you wanted; I didn't mention "fit" at that time. I apologize if you don't appreciate (what you feel are) my standards of fitness.

I applaud you in whatever way you achieve whatever your goals happen to be.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Actually, a lot of the self-proclaimed pop-tart (or other junk food) eaters are quite ripped. The peeve I have is that they routinely posts as if they eat junk as the mainstay of their diet, when in fact, it is a very tiny part of their diet. It's the "Look at me, I'm fit and eat a lot of junk" misrepresentation that I don't understand.

Define "very tiny part". Is ice cream daily very tiny? Fast food a few times a week? Very tiny seems like a real undefined kind of arbitrary statement. Can we get a percentage so that the ripped IIFYM people can decide who fits and who doesn't?

"very tiny part" = very small percentage of their calories. Some have their diaries open, and when you take a look, it does not correlate with what they imply in their posts at all.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

"very tiny part" = very small percentage of their calories. Some have their diaries open, and when you take a look, it does not correlate with what they imply in their posts at all.

So if Sara eats 1/2 cup to 1 cup of ice cream daily is that a 'very small' part? I'm looking for an actual amount here. 10% 15% 20%? If someone uses 300 of their 1900 daily calories is that tiny?

Also what you think is implied isn't an actual metric to measure what they eat against, is it? IIFYM is about moderation, so to expect anything but moderation seems...odd.
  • intoherheart
    Options
    Donuts taste good. End of discussion.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread turned serious. What happened to all the donut pictures?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    In for doughnuts and joy!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I think we could all use some sweet refreshments.

c23.jpg
    6a0.jpg

Not quite donuts but close.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom

tumblr_mc53wc4c7y1rzmmpwo1_500.jpg

Oh yeah!

fat_man_eating_doughnuts_photo1.jpg
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member