Is sugar more evil than fat?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, I can only eat protein?

In accordance to the post, no! Protein will contain fat. So maybe veggies with no carbs???

Uh...???

What???

It's about balance, people. Table sugar isn't essential. Naturally occurring sugars found in non-processed foods are totally fine. Table sugar isn't evil, but it should be moderated. Too much of anything is bad for you.

What is the difference between table sugar and naturally occurring sugars? How does it affect/impact your body? I assume one has a bad impact and the other has a good impact?

From what I understand and what I've experienced with my own diet, naturally occurring, sugars are more well-received by the body. Sugar alone causes a spike in glucose and a quick drop/crash in glucose after it is used by the body. In non-processed forms, like fruit, for example, it doesn't convert to glucose as quickly and lessens the "crash," because the body processes it all slower.

Lol, since you were questioning others critical thinking skills. Is the below processed sucrose or that from an apple? Also the above response shows a lack of comprehension on what you've read

Sucrose4.GIF
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with just eating a balanced diet and exercising? Do people just like complicating things? That would harsh my mellow...

oh neither are evil
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

In accordance to the post, no! Protein will contain fat. So maybe veggies with no carbs???

Uh...???

What???

It's about balance, people. Table sugar isn't essential. Naturally occurring sugars found in non-processed foods are totally fine. Table sugar isn't evil, but it should be moderated. Too much of anything is bad for you.

What is the difference between table sugar and naturally occurring sugars? How does it affect/impact your body? I assume one has a bad impact and the other has a good impact?

From what I understand and what I've experienced with my own diet, naturally occurring, sugars are more well-received by the body. Sugar alone causes a spike in glucose and a quick drop/crash in glucose after it is used by the body. In non-processed forms, like fruit, for example, it doesn't convert to glucose as quickly and lessens the "crash," because the body processes it all slower.

However, in general, you have to do what is right for YOUR body.

Personally, I do well limiting processed foods, white bread, white rice, and sugars, or, at least, balancing those things with proteins and fats. When I just eat sugars, such as a donut for breakfast, I crash hard. I'm much better off eating a 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, because it keeps my blood sugars stable. I've noticed that cultures that eat high carb, low fat diets tend to eat more often, and I believe this is the reason for it. I eat 3x day and rarely snack, but I eat balanced meals (protein/fat, a veggie, or two, and maybe a fruit). I think the balance of the proteins and carbs maintains satiety and blood sugar levels in my body. Everyone's different, though, so you just have to monitor the effects of quantity, quality, and meal structure and decide what makes you feel the best.

I don't think my body cares where the sugar comes from as long as it gets it (and lots of it because sugar makes me happy). :happy:

ETA: Your body probably reacts that way to a donut as opposed to fruit because the donut has more sugar, not necessarily because of what kind of sugar it is.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    that's like asking what is better
    vodka or whisky

Vodka ... DUH! ...

Thank you! I'm not alone. :::inserting sarcasm font since people do not recognize it::: It seems the 'whiskey' people were being argumentative on purpose!! :::resuming normal font:::

You rock! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Uh...???

What???

Personally, I do well limiting processed foods, white bread, white rice, and sugars, or, at least, balancing those things with proteins and fats. When I just eat sugars, such as a donut for breakfast, I crash hard. I'm much better off eating a 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, because it keeps my blood sugars stable. I've noticed that cultures that eat high carb, low fat diets tend to eat more often, and I believe this is the reason for it. I eat 3x day and rarely snack, but I eat balanced meals (protein/fat, a veggie, or two, and maybe a fruit). I think the balance of the proteins and carbs maintains satiety and blood sugar levels in my body. Everyone's different, though, so you just have to monitor the effects of quantity, quality, and meal structure and decide what makes you feel the best.

I don't think my body cares where the sugar comes from as long as it gets it (and lots of it because sugar makes me happy). :happy:

ETA: Your body probably reacts that way to a donut as opposed to fruit because the donut has more sugar, not necessarily because of what kind of sugar it is.

The donut likely has a good deal more evil fat than than any naturally occuring sugar.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Uh...???

What???

Lol, since you were questioning others critical thinking skills. Is the below processed sucrose or that from an apple? Also the above response shows a lack of comprehension on what you've read

Sucrose4.GIF

You truly are a troll.

Your pic is that of sucrose, which is what the pic YOU posted states. See below for the various forms. Fructose, being the sugar that you would find in an apple.

glucose-fructose-and-sucrose_zps3f7adce0.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Uh...???

What???

Sucrose4.GIF

You truly are a troll.

Your pic is that of sucrose, which is what the pic YOU posted states. See below for the various forms. Fructose, being the sugar that you would find in an apple.

glucose-fructose-and-sucrose_zps01e4d177.jpg

Ignorance or lack of critical thinking?

Please go to the details of the types of sugar found in an apple. Hint: there's more than one

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2200?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=apple&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here is the non Daily Fail link: (I like the Daily Fail, it is like a Viz comic for grown ups)

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

I think it was a pretty interesting thing to do.

I don't think any food is capable of being 'evil' but I do think the low fat mantra that has been going on for the last couple of decades has been a bit of a lemon.

Especially considering that when the fat was taken out, sugar was/is often added to give the food some flavour.

Oh, and vodka is way better than whiskey! :drinker:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Uh...???

What???

Sucrose4.GIF

You truly are a troll.

glucose-fructose-and-sucrose_zps01e4d177.jpg

Ignorance or lack of critical thinking?

Please go tot he details of the types of sugar found in an apple. Hint: there's more than one

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2200?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=apple&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=

Ah, you got me. Good to know.

Regardless, you're still a jerk. I tried to help, and you chose to make yourself feel superior. Go you.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Food is not "evil" It's the excess that is not healthy. Just my opinion.
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    People still think fat makes you fat smh
    No, eat all the fat you want. Good fat that is unsaturated (Nuts, Seeds, Flaxseed, Olive oil etc). Your brain is mostly fat!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Uh...???

What???

That's a valid perspective, also. And, it actually supports my point:

Apple = Glycemic load of 6
    Apple = Glycemic load of 30

It stands to reason that a serving of apple juice contains the juice of multiple apples, instead of just one, and therefore you consume more sugar, more quickly...same as with a donut. For me, it's just not worth the calories for the mileage I get out of it.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Most boring slapfight ever. :yawn:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    poor apple ever since it's descent from the garden of eden everyone uses it as the go to fruit.

It's not apple's fault it's so delicious.

PS-I love people from UK they always point out that it's called daily fail, but it's one of the most colorful and picturesque online rags.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Oh, really? I was of the understanding that we were here to learn from each other and share information. No wonder I felt attacked, the need to defend myself, and the need to attack, as well.

Humans suck.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Now sugar by itself causes diabetes.

Do tell me more!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Oh, really? I was of the understanding that we were here to learn from each other and share information. No wonder I felt attacked, the need to defend myself, and the need to attack, as well.

Humans suck.

First day on the Internet? :huh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT THE TOXINZ?!?!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Try the Satan hotline on 555-SATANSCRIB

He, or one of his minions, will answer all your evil related questions at the mere cost of your eternal soul or a sacrifice of 3 virgins.
This discussion has been closed.