Women in relationships aren't allowed to have male friends?

Options
Jaimie6171
Jaimie6171 Posts: 37 Member
So I have been in a relationship now for 5 years, and in this time I have started to see some double standards in my own relationship along with friends relationships. Why is it that it is completely acceptable for a man in a relationship to be friends with women (and by relationship I mean texting each other, gong to events on occasion, getting lunch, etc.), but when a woman in a relationship is friends with another man (same type of relationship as I described above) it is completely taboo? I mean my boyfriend would never tell me I "couldn't" be friends with another man. But he already gets a little defensive if I tell him I grabbed coffee with a male coworker while on a break.

I feel like a woman gets the title of being uncaring or insensitive if she ignores the norm and is friends with a man. I have even heard my female friends say a girl is bring "slutty" if she is friends with men while in a relationship.

It would be great to get some insight and understanding into why this double standard is acceptable. I guess I take part of the blame because I have allowed it to happen, but I would like to hear other insights as well :)

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its the people you know.. If you have a controlling boyfriend then expect double standards all day.. same with your friends with they have a controlling boyfriend.. it really depends.. Some guys care, other's don't.. I don't think a girl is a slut if she hangs out with other guys or goes places with them.. trust issues.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    no just no...... A big majority of my oldest friends are male. Their like my brothers. You have a problem with me having male friends you need to get over it or obviously your not right for me.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    it's only acceptable, if you accept it.

so speak about your own life, sista - i couldn't care less who my wife hangs out with. if she's going to cheat, she's going to cheat - and me restricting her friends a) takes more time and effort than i want to deal with 2) would likely push her away from me and iii) indicates i don't trust her.

when i do.

as long as those friends are chicks (just kidding)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Because women are the weaker gender and they cannot be trusted with their feelings. Who knows when feelings will overwhelm you and you will jump on that "friend". There is a reason all women are strictly prohibited from talking to men or even showing their face/bodies in the middle east.
  • sstan03
    sstan03 Posts: 102
    Options
    I am not sure that is all men. I have been married for 21 years and i have never been that way with my wife. Back before cell phones, i would get a call that she was on her way home but several hours later she would show up and then i would find out that she went out to happy hour with some friends, men included. I guess i figure that if something is going to happen, it is going to happen. I do know that she does get upset with me if i get a text or other type of communications from a woman, so i guess it goes both ways..... just for the record, I have never been unfaithful to my wife and as far as I know, she has not been unfaithful to me. It may be a bit of their insecurity.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Why is it that it is completely acceptable for a man in a relationship to be friends with women (and by relationship I mean texting each other, gong to events on occasion, getting lunch, etc.),

Who said that was acceptable?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If it's not okay for you to hang out with friends of the opposite sex, then it shouldn't be okay for him either.

That is one of those things that you agree to in the beginning of your relationship.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Because women are the weaker gender and they cannot be trusted with their feelings. Who knows when feelings will overwhelm you and you will jump on that "friend".
    and the womens male "friend" always wants to bang them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Mutual respect. He should not treat you in any way that he wouldn't find acceptable in receiving.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    F that *kitten*. My absolute best friend is a guy, so are the vast majority of my friends. Anyone trying to tell me to dump my friends because they have jealousy issues gets dumped out of my life pretty quickly.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That double standard is not acceptable in my relationship. Sounds like jealousy issues.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have a good number of male friends and my boyfriend doesn't care in the least. Perhaps it's just your social group / boyfriend who feels that way?
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Pfft, I keep my hos on lock. They know better than to stray. I'm more man than any one woman can handle that's why I gots multiple women but they are only allowed to have me.

OMG - I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose...THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    The guy sounds insecrue at best. RUNNNNN

I have been married for over 30 years and NEVER stopped my wife from having guy friends, as long as i knew who they were.

She meets quite regularly with high school frieds that include her guy friends.

If she is going to cheat she is going to cheat no matter what and there is not much i can do to stop it, lol.

She thinks the same with me too.

It's called trust.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have always remained faithful to my husband or spouse despite the amount of male friends I have had.
    There have been a couple of circumstances where it was my partner that strayed with one of their female friends.

My husband knows I talk to other guys and even have lunch with them. I have nothing to hide from him. And he values my honesty and respects me for that. I also know he talks to other women.

It all stems from trust.. Which you can't build if there isn't any communication or boundaries. If I feel jealous, I always take an assessment of whether it is my insecurties that are causing it or not. Same with him. If we feel there has been a boundary breach, then we have to sit down and discuss it and make sure we understand each other's expectations.

Been together 10 years. It hasn't always been perfect, but it has been far from bad.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Because women are the weaker gender and they cannot be trusted with their feelings. Who knows when feelings will overwhelm you and you will jump on that "friend". There is a reason all women are strictly prohibited from talking to men or even showing their face/bodies in the middle east.
    QFT
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Pfft, I keep my hos on lock. They know better than to stray. I'm more man than any one woman can handle that's why I gots multiple women but they are only allowed to have me.

OMG - I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose...THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
    This wasn't a joke. Not sure why you are laughing.
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options

Hell yea, Short leash, Pimp hand stay strong. GATOR DONT PLAY DAT !! lmfaoo
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend who was like that once. I wound up not talking to any of my male friends because it wasn't worth a fight with him. Definitely not right. My fiancé doesn't care that I have male friends, he has a ton of female friends, and I don't mind. There is always some jealousy there, but as long as you are open in communicating you are fine.

You either take me for me and my choice in friends or you leave.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

^^I wish i went this route