No sugar

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Raisin Energy bar is my preference. It seems they have all switched to evaporated cane juice...

Edit: which doesn't seem to be a refined sugar by definition...

:laugh:

I'm just going to assume you're kidding; otherwise, the way you're manipulating the English language is completely depressing.

Just going by what I read.... It doesn't fall into the refined sugar category according to the page I happened to be on :(

http://www.livestrong.com/article/392941-white-sugar-vs-organic-evaporated-cane-juice/

I know it's livestrong, but it's the page I found first when I googled evaporated cane juice. Maybe cause it's not empty calories? I dunno.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 days to get phyically out of your system.

This means literally nothing.

good laughing
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Raisin Energy bar is my preference. It seems they have all switched to evaporated cane juice...

Their site doesn't list any such product that uses evaporated cane juice.

Also: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/18/163098211/evaporated-cane-juice-sugar-in-disguise

Evaporated cane juice and regular sugar are, for all practical purposes, 100% identical.
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You mean my Snickers bar isn't clean????? Say it isn't so!!!! :laugh:

I refuse to kick sugar out of my life. We're still friends, just don't see each other as much these days LOL
  • forthemoney
    forthemoney Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm just finishing my second week of a much cleaner way of eating: no added sugar, no grains, no dairy. (Also no red meat or alcohol, but I didn't eat red meat anyway and I drank very little alcohol). It's high protein, lots of veggies, coconut and olive oil. It took me about a week, maybe even a little more, to get past the mild headache it gave me. Other than that, I feel great. I can't say I've really had any cravings, just the headache. And FWIW, I take meds for my hypothyroidism.
  • Nephy07
    Nephy07 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh sugar... It's love - hate relationship if you ask me :D I can avoid it but when it comes to coffee BAAAM 3 tbsp of it. Anyway this whole topic was too long to read so I'll just write what I read this morning - one doctor came to conclusion that it takes 60 days to get rid of your sugar addiction, that's all I know :D
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I'm just going to assume you're kidding; otherwise, the way you're manipulating the English language is completely depressing.

Just going by what I read.... It doesn't fall into the refined sugar category according to the page I happened to be on :(

http://www.livestrong.com/article/392941-white-sugar-vs-organic-evaporated-cane-juice/

I know it's livestrong, but it's the page I found first when I googled evaporated cane juice. Maybe cause it's not empty calories? I dunno.

I would say at this point we're going back and forth about diction and some semantics. I think I understand where you're coming from in that "evaporated cane juice" isn't specifically "refined white table sugar" since they have different names. However, according to the livestrong article you quoted, evaporated cane juice is refined and processed. It's also derived from cane sugar, which effectively makes it a form of sugar. Since it's been refined/processed and it's a type of sugar, to me it is literally refined sugar--even though it has a friendly name like "evaporated cane juice." Not trying to jump down your throat about any of this or make you feel badly about your opinions, I promise. I can respect your decision to put what you want in your body, but I will say that the logic behind some of your choices does somewhat baffle me. (Of course, you don't have to justify yourself to some stranger on the internet, either. :smile: )
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's scary how much people on this site act like drug addicts when it comes to sugar, and take OFFENSE at you cutting it out of your food choices. It's kind of like when you stop drinking or doing drugs, or even lose weight,, and all of your drinking/drug/fat friends are now angry at you because they can't do it themselves and you are proof of that everytime they see you. Sad. (p.s if you eat sugar, this isn't about you. Its about those like the first few posters here who literally cry out foul when someone cuts out sugar. "Sugar is a carb", how witty.)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I was wondering how long it would be before someone compared sugar to drugs and alcohol.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how long it would be before someone compared sugar to drugs and alcohol.

Now all that's left is Godwin's Law. Then I'll have a bingo.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Depends on how addicted you are. I went about 3 months with none and that was what it took to get the cravings manageable. I try to only have something sweet just on the weekend but it's hard.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Also: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/18/163098211/evaporated-cane-juice-sugar-in-disguise

Evaporated cane juice and regular sugar are, for all practical purposes, 100% identical.

You're right. It's just cane juice.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Is this a Clif product? It does not appear on their web site.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My problem is the specific mixing of sugar and fat that I sometimes CRAVE with a vengeance. It's called icing. The cheap kind, you know? Made into swirly flowers and stuff on cakes? :sad:
  • Hornsby
    Options

I would say at this point we're going back and forth about diction and some semantics. I think I understand where you're coming from in that "evaporated cane juice" isn't specifically "refined white table sugar" since they have different names. However, according to the livestrong article you quoted, evaporated cane juice is refined and processed. It's also derived from cane sugar, which effectively makes it a form of sugar. Since it's been refined/processed and it's a type of sugar, to me it is literally refined sugar--even though it has a friendly name like "evaporated cane juice." Not trying to jump down your throat about any of this or make you feel badly about your opinions, I promise. I can respect your decision to put what you want in your body, but I will say that the logic behind some of your choices does somewhat baffle me. (Of course, you don't have to justify yourself to some stranger on the internet, either. :smile: )

I eat refined sugar all the time. This started with the point that it doesn't hurt if the OP gets rid of them....not me. I lost my weight eating dirty as hell but exercising a ton :) And trust me, no one on an internet forum can make me feel bad at all. It's the interwebz and it's not that serious.

I have never looked into sugar so this thread made me do some searching. Nothing more. I was going off the definition of refined sugar on that page. That's all. I look at it like a car can have a red fender, doesn't mean it's a red car. Some sugars can have some refining, but doesn't mean they are refined. I see where we are thinking differently though.
  • Hornsby
    Options

I see it in every one of the products I looked at on their website. www.clifbar.com Cane syrup that is.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My problem is the specific mixing of sugar and fat that I sometimes CRAVE with a vengeance. It's called icing. The cheap kind, you know? Made into swirly flowers and stuff on cakes? :sad:

On Saturday, I went to a funeral service.

It's sad that it was a funeral, but whoever catered the reception afterwards rolled out these little... balls of heaven. I presume the deceased sent them personally from the afterlife. They were tiny cupcake-shaped chewy chocolate chip cookies with the middles hollowed out, so there's a hole going down into them. The hole was filled with buttercream icing.

Yeah.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I see it in every one of the products I looked at on their website. www.clifbar.com

The first ingredient in every single one of their energy bars is organic brown rice syrup. The only oatmeal raisin product I can find at all is their Oatmeal Raisin Walnut energy bar, which lists organic brown rice syrup as the first ingredient.

I'm clearly missing whatever you're talking about. Can you just tell me the specific product you're eating?
  • Hornsby
    Options

I see it in every one of the products I looked at on their website. www.clifbar.com

The first ingredient in every single one of their energy bars is organic brown rice syrup. The only oatmeal raisin product I can find at all is their Oatmeal Raisin Walnut energy bar, which lists organic brown rice syrup as the first ingredient.

I'm clearly missing whatever you're talking about. Can you just tell me the specific product you're eating?

Ha, nope, you're right. I didn't see it as the first ingredient. Didn't think it would be that high up on the list. So I guess they use two "sugars"? Isn't Cane Juice sugar too?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ha, nope, you're right. I didn't see it as the first ingredient. Didn't think it would be that high up on the list. So I guess they use two "sugars"? Isn't Cane Juice sugar too?

Yup, they clearly use multiple types of sugar in their energy products.