No sugar

Options

Replies

• virgomeg18
    Options
    It takes me about a week. I get a pounding headache for most of the first day. I find that if I drink more water than I usually would in a day my headache goes away. Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Raisin Energy bar is my preference. It seems they have all switched to evaporated cane juice...

Edit: which doesn't seem to be a refined sugar by definition...

Their site doesn't list any such product that uses evaporated cane juice.

Also: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/18/163098211/evaporated-cane-juice-sugar-in-disguise

Evaporated cane juice and regular sugar are, for all practical purposes, 100% identical.

You're right. It's just cane juice.

Is this a Clif product? It does not appear on their web site.

I see it in every one of the products I looked at on their website. www.clifbar.com

The first ingredient in every single one of their energy bars is organic brown rice syrup. The only oatmeal raisin product I can find at all is their Oatmeal Raisin Walnut energy bar, which lists organic brown rice syrup as the first ingredient.

I'm clearly missing whatever you're talking about. Can you just tell me the specific product you're eating?

Ha, nope, you're right. I didn't see it as the first ingredient. Didn't think it would be that high up on the list. So I guess they use two "sugars"? Isn't Cane Juice sugar too?

Yup, they clearly use multiple types of sugar in their energy products.

But are the refined??? hmmm.

Just kidding, don't want to go down that road again. We'll agree to disagree on this one. Mainly cause i really don't care.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's scary how much people on this site act like drug addicts when it comes to sugar, and take OFFENSE at you cutting it out of your food choices. It's kind of like when you stop drinking or doing drugs, or even lose weight,, and all of your drinking/drug/fat friends are now angry at you because they can't do it themselves and you are proof of that everytime they see you. Sad. (p.s if you eat sugar, this isn't about you. Its about those like the first few posters here who literally cry out foul when someone cuts out sugar. "Sugar is a carb", how witty.)

I don't think anyone is offended by someone trying to reduce sugar consumption. I think it's the lack of logic. As I mentioned before ... if your goal is to reduce sugar consumption, and someone offers you a handful of chocolate chips or a handful of raisins, the logical choice is the chocolate.

a Large handful of raisins or 2 cups of grapes has 50g sugar.

A snickers bar has 27g
    32 ghiradeli 60% chocolate chips has 12g

It's the whole "sugar in chocolate is bad, and sugar in raisins is good" that gets to me...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why does everything on here turn into a debate? It gets so old. The OP wants to cut out sugar....so what? She doesn't need a reason that anyone else approves of.

This is actually rather simple. Science evolves. I actually encourage debate, as long as it doesn't turn into mocking/attacking others. In fact, I love threads like that for the simple reason people post new studies (first link) and new science which can supersede my previous knowledge. It's how I learned that a person can consume more than 20g's of protein at once and they don't have drink 64 oz of water or recently got a good thread on sugar addiction (second link). It's how I found out about the link below. For me, it's not about confirmation bias. I am always looking for stuff that disproves what I already know.

So while everything turns into a debate, it's the most effective way of getting new science.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056521
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You can't get away from sugar
    natural sugar and refined sugar are the same
    if you just want to cut something out of your diet to say you did, have at it. The problem comes from making declarations to the world about it (not you OP). If you want to stop eating refined sugar, go for it, just dont come on here to tell the world you did and not expect people to wonder why in the hell you would do such a thing when the sugar from a banana and a snicker bar are the same.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But are the refined???

Yes.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    But are the refined???

Yes.

Omg, yes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lol - okay. Like I said, agree to disagree.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how long it would be before someone compared sugar to drugs and alcohol.

Now all that's left is Godwin's Law. Then I'll have a bingo.

pffft. that sounds like something hitler would say.
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Brown rice syrup is as processed as table sugar.

Also, PCOS doesn't make your body react differently to "refined" sugar vs "natural" sugar. So, uh...

Like I said before.. My decision to cut out sugars from candy and such is for my own reasons, my decision, my choice. Me having PCOS was not mentioned in the original post because it DOES NOT have ANYTHING to do with my decision, I was thanking the person and telling her that I do have PCOS. Furthermore, I do not overindulge in sugar as another person posted. I hardly eat sweets at all. People may not agree to my choice of cutting out sugar that I feel "I" don't need and that is find. It's is my choice, my body and my decision. My post wasn't asking for permission. It was simply asking for peoples thoughts on the matter of how long it takes to not crave or even want it. Again... I hardly eat it the stuff that I want to cut from my diet. Really what's funny is that everyone post on here making their points when you know nothing about me. Example: someone saying that I overindulge in Sugar when in fact that isn't the truth at all. Easy for them to say it when they don't know. I do appreciate everyone who posted no matter what your opinion was or is. The best part about a message board like this... I can pick what I want to read and what I don't or what I want to take to heart.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Also, PCOS doesn't make your body react differently to "refined" sugar vs "natural" sugar. So, uh...

Like I said before.. My decision to cut out sugars from candy and such is for my own reasons, my decision, my choice. Me having PCOS was not mentioned in the original post because it DOES NOT have ANYTHING to do with my decision, I was thanking the person and telling her that I do have PCOS. Furthermore, I do not overindulge in sugar as another person posted. I hardly eat sweets at all. People may not agree to my choice of cutting out sugar that I feel "I" don't need and that is find. It's is my choice, my body and my decision. My post wasn't asking for permission. It was simply asking for peoples thoughts on the matter of how long it takes to not crave or even want it. Again... I hardly eat it the stuff that I want to cut from my diet. Really what's funny is that everyone post on here making their points when you know nothing about me. Example: someone saying that I overindulge in Sugar when in fact that isn't the truth at all. Easy for them to say it when they don't know. I do appreciate everyone who posted no matter what your opinion was or is. The best part about a message board like this... I can pick what I want to read and what I don't or what I want to take to heart.

When you post a thread on a public forum, it's about more than just you.

Cut out sugar if you want. Some of us want to make sure your decision isn't viewed by others as something good or necessary.
  • tabitha2770
    Options

Cut out sugar if you want. Some of us want to make sure your decision isn't viewed by others as something good or necessary.

Do what you will :)
  • RivenV
    Options

Also... just reread the whole thread. No one said you overindulged in sugar.
  • tabitha2770
    Options

Did you forget your own post?

"Furthermore, it wasn't until we were dozens of posts in and on page four of this topic that the OP even mentioned any health-related problems that might occur from her overindulging in sugar due to PCOS or any other type of existing predisposition".
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Fruit sugar is encased with a fiber shell so it absorbed into the system slower, you do not get the crazy insulin spike like you would with white desserts such as cake or pie, this means our bodies have time to use up the glucose before storing it as fat. Cane sugar/regular white sugar is typically accompanied with unhealthy pastries so no eating a piece of cake isn't the same as eating a piece of fruit. Yeah fructose and glucose are the same, but fruit doesn't cause the insulin spike, nor is it nutritionally void like pastries.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Have a great night!
  • RivenV
    Options

"Furthermore, it wasn't until we were dozens of posts in and on page four of this topic that the OP even mentioned any health-related problems that might occur from her overindulging in sugar due to PCOS or any other type of existing predisposition".

I still didn't say you were actively overindulging. I was speaking of a hypothetical circumstance in reply to a poster who was uppity about multiple posters specifically telling you there was nothing wrong with eating sugar.

Just because you posted the topic doesn't mean every single thing is about you. ... Haven't we covered this already?
  • tabitha2770
    Options

I still didn't say you were actively overindulging. I was speaking of a hypothetical circumstance in reply to a poster who was uppity about multiple posters specifically telling you there was nothing wrong with eating sugar.

Just because you posted the topic doesn't mean every single thing is about you. ... Haven't we covered this already?

LOL... OK :) Have a great night
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's scary how much people on this site act like drug addicts when it comes to sugar, and take OFFENSE at you cutting it out of your food choices. It's kind of like when you stop drinking or doing drugs, or even lose weight,, and all of your drinking/drug/fat friends are now angry at you because they can't do it themselves and you are proof of that everytime they see you. Sad. (p.s if you eat sugar, this isn't about you. Its about those like the first few posters here who literally cry out foul when someone cuts out sugar. "Sugar is a carb", how witty.)

I don't think anyone is offended by someone trying to reduce sugar consumption. I think it's the lack of logic. As I mentioned before ... if your goal is to reduce sugar consumption, and someone offers you a handful of chocolate chips or a handful of raisins, the logical choice is the chocolate.

a Large handful of raisins or 2 cups of grapes has 50g sugar.

A snickers bar has 27g
    32 ghiradeli 60% chocolate chips has 12g

It's the whole "sugar in chocolate is bad, and sugar in raisins is good" that gets to me...

Well you are right. Sugar in raisins isn't good. Grapes and bananas are probably the two worst things you can eat for your blood sugar levels. Fructose is just as bad as sucrose. Sugar is sugar. There are good vitamins in fruit, as well as fiber, but it's all nutrition you can get from other sources. Man was never supposed to have access to sugary fruit all around the year. Nor did we evolve eating flour and sugary cans of syrup. If I do eat any fruit, its typically berries or melon, and its treated like candy, sparingly.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes to stop craving sugar once you switch to clean eating?

Once I went no sugar/no starch, it took about 2 or 3 days before I realized I wasn't preoccupied anymore with food or sugary treats.
    I'm sure it's different for everyone though.