WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :heart: Juanita sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

:flowerforyou: It's very dark and wet here in York. I went shopping yesterday with my mum, but we didn't stay out too long, it was raining and very cold. It's a bit milder this morning, but the field where we walk the dog every morning is very muddy and I slipped on my way to the poo bin! Didn't hurt myself, but had a muddy wet knee and hands! :grumble: There are flood warnings for some parts of York, we have two rivers running through it and with all the rain we've had lately floods are inevitable.:frown:

:flowerforyou: I must start exercising again, I think I mentioned that I've asked hubby for a fit bit for Christmas, so I'm hoping this will kick start my exercise routine again. I have been wearing an old pedometer that I found in my draw, and steps range from 7,000 to 18,000 so as you can see, a bit inconsistent,

Well must get some breakfast - DD has told me NOT to give the dog any treats ( I usually make him half a slice of toast :embarassed: ) he needs to lose weight, so I wait until he's up in her room before having breakfast, well I can't stand the look in his choclatey brown eyes if I eat in front of him :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and hubby is just as bad, if not worse!

:flowerforyou: Happy Christmas - Happy Holidays - whatever you celebrate.

Chat soon

Viv (aka Wizzy York UK)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Another sleepless night. Shopping went well with hubby, although I got too tired before we completely finished. Just a couple more gifts to buy for grandson. I found out its easier to buy for girls than boys, especially since my son forbid us from getting them toys. Can you imagine telling a grandma NOT to buy toys for kids? Well, I did get one small toy for each child, and they can keep them at my house if they can't take them home.

We did not actually get any of the snow that they predicted, so the roads are clear for our trip to Kansas City. We will try to get back here before dark tonight.

It's 3:20am, so I think I'll try to go back to bed.

Good night.

Sylvia
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Juanita :smile: I am so sorry to hear about your brother:brokenheart: :sad: ! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve read all the posts and I`m wishing you all well:flowerforyou: :heart: ! I`ve got a busy morning planned with friends and then a nice relaxing evening:bigsmile: ! I have to load the sleigh (car) with all the presents tonight so I`ll be ready to leave bright and early Christmas morning:love: !

Have a wonderful day ladies whatever your plans are:happy: ! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where it`s getting chilly again
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,811 Member
    Options
    Good Morning beautiful friends~:heart:
    Had a good nights sleep and it has cooled down a bit and rained during the night here,but was needed. the clouds are burning off and it will be mid 70's today.I'll take it...
    I want to send my condolences Juanita,losing someone so special is just heartbreaking to the ones they leave behind,but I truly believe he is at God's right hand and in no more pain.you will always have your brother watching over you..
    Well only a few more days of relaxation so I will make the most of it. I know this is a busy time of year for everyone,but take a minute and slow down,sit with a cup of tea,coffee,relax and count your blessings, things are just things.. what is most important to me is: God, My precious family, my wonderful friends,and my health and the health of said family and friend's.. I really can't ask for much more than that...
    I am truly blessed to have this wonderful home to come to in Florida, I sooooo love it here. and God willing will move here in a few years permanently.
    I am icing my heel , yesterday I was on my feet alot and later at night it really started bothering me. so I am out in the florida room(lanai) computer at the table, slight breeze coming in through the windows and enjoying a cup of tea and a cinnamon raisin english muffin..
    will check in with you all later,but sending warm hugs and Love from me to each and everyone of you:flowerforyou:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good Christmas Eve!!!

Have concluded that I have reached the downside of this round of ear/throat misery. Feeling a bit better, saw dr. yesterday just to make sure I'm not having a sinus infection and needing antibiotic because I was starting to wonder........so far, OK on that front--fluid behind both ear drums (guessed that!), some wheezing, and major post nasal drainage (hah, knew that ,too)........Flonase and codeine and continue as I have been for now. Slept ever so much better thanks to the codeine!!!!

Juanita........I am so sorry to hear about your brother, you have my sympathy.

Joyce........Glad to hear you were not affected by the flooding.

I was wondering how the Ont. ladies were doing with the ice storm; now, according to The Weather Channel, part of it is hitting our friends in England and being called "George"
    I guess winter storms are named there too. Here it was "Gemini". Have a cousin in Ont. who I need to call.

FYI........I have a friend with a DD who is visiting her DH stationed in Japan and my friend was having a difficult time figuring out the time/date change...........if you go to google and just type in "current time Japan"----or any other place, the day/ date comes right up. Hope someone else finds this helpful because we went through a lot of math before I tried this!!!

Got to get a move on!!!
    Best to everyone and Merry Christmas to those celebrating the holiday!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS..........Sylvia---how about books? Surely he wouldn't object to books??
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; just a quick note to wish everybody happy holidays! And hopefully a bit of nice weather. LOTS of wind and some rain here.
    Enjoy!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Last night we (Vince & I) went out to ChickFilA for dinner. Was it crowded! I got the grilled chicken sandwich and small fruit. We brought some chicken nuggets home for Denise. Why she didn't want to go with us, I have no idea.

Today I know that I'm going to go over on the calories. Well, it's Christmas Eve, our biggest time. Went to WalMart this morning because Vince needed milk, bought a box of cookies, took 3 out and gave the rest to the cashier. She was a nice person. Actually, even gave one of the cookies to the greeter (I sort-of know her). It's amazing how I don't want to eat "junk" food. I'm just trying to go with what my stomach wants.

barbie - that was so very nice of you to take that lady from the nursing home out. I'm sure she really enjoyed it.

Jess came last night. She opened the present from Lynette, she got a sweater. It's a turtleneck, may not even fit Jess. I just don't understand why people want to just go to a store to buy a present and not think about what the receiver would like. But then again, I guess I'm just as guilty of this as anyone. I'm sending a sweatshirt to Diana, and I really don't know what she likes. But then again, I haven't been allowed to find out. I'm thinking that next year I may drop a hint to Lynette that Jess likes candles, just say that I bought this candleabra for her because I know that she likes candles.

Did 1/2 hr of a Kelly Coffee DVD step. Tomorrow I'll do a walking (Leslie Sansone) DVD. At least that is the plan.

Sylvia - wonder why son would forbid you from buying toys? Maybe he feels that the kids are getting too old for toys?

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

Don't know how often/if I'll be able to pop in, so I'll just post as I can. Usually, I just wait until the evening to do one big post, but won't today.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: You are so wise to go to a restaurant with the right attitude about ordering. I’m sure your friends were happy to have you along. We had banisters on the outside of the staircase, and added them to the inside walls so now they’re on both sides. I like the addition and DH loves it.:flowerforyou:

Viv: I hope your home is above water levels if the rivers do reach flood stage. Dogs are talented beggars. You and DH will have your work cut out for you trying to put the dog on a weight loss regime. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Wishing you safe travels to Kansas City, and good news from the cardiologist.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Enjoy your day and loading the “sleigh.” I have a picture in my mind right out of the Grinch of your little dog dressed as a reindeer. I know you are no Grinch, though. You have a big heart.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m so glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Your Christmas seems to be shaping up. Gift giving is a challenge for me. I think about people and often draw a blank. Perhaps Lynette is like that, or belongs to the group who go out and buy something they would like to receive.:flowerforyou:

I had a long chat with DDIL last night. She is at home with her family and enjoying all the old family traditions. We’re both missing my son this holiday season, and have gone together to get him a special gift that he’ll receive after he is home. I needed to discuss how to time our note about our portion of the gift, and ended up chatting a long time. It was great.

Happy Holidays!

Katla in beautifully moist NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio until my wrist heals, then add back strength training.
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies

Juanita - so sorry to hear about your brother. :brokenheart:

I've been MIA with posting here but have tried to read all of the pages. I found out in November that a friend, Sheri, has been diagnosed with colon cancer. She is the type of person that doesn't like to ask for help or show that anything is wrong and she hadn't been feeling well most of the previous year but thought it was due to stress. Her husband walked out on her for another woman last Christmas day and then her mother had to have surgery due to a leak in her intestines this past September. She finally went to have her stomach (and other issues) checked and they found the cancer and also a thyroid issue which was making her feel so tired. While dealing with tests and consults for her cancer, her mother contracted a bacterial infection from the surgery and was in critical care for several weeks. Her mom was released but rushed back to the hospital last week and died 4 days later. Her funeral was this past Friday and my friend has to start her chemo/radiation treatment next week. She was her mom's sole support as there isn't any other family. In some way, her mother's passing may be a blessing as her mom was schizophrenic and she was always having to 'put out fires' such as tracking her down, handling issues (real and imaginary) with other people, etc. Always a phone call away from an immediate emergency. I'm not sure how she would have continued to deal with it while undergoing her own treatment. Her treatment will consist of chemo/radiation for 5 days a week for 5 weeks and then surgery. Would appreciate prayers for Sheri. She just turned 55.

This evening my DH and I will be joining another couple for dinner and then will spend a quiet Christmas at home. His DDs are in other states, one in Florida and one in Kansas. We will skype with his youngest and talk with the 4 GDs and hopefully his oldest will call and we can talk with the GS and GD. She is hard to contact so usually have to wait for her to call us.

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday and has safe travels if that is in the plans. I had to look up 'boxing day' as I had never heard that before but it is quite interesting. I kept picturing 'boxing' as in the sport and wondered why that was a special day. :laugh:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi my wonderful mfp friends! I won't be here much today or tomorrow so I hope if you celebrate, today and tomorrow are wonderful and blessed for you.

Juanita: I am so sorry about your brother. I'm sending you hugs and prayers.

I am grateful for my nsv yesterday. I finally went shopping and am out of the plus sized for tops (started at 2x now xl) and down 2 sizes in pants from 24 to 20. I tried bras again and here's the odd thing: I was a 44DD and now I'm a 38 H. What the heck! I didn't even know you could buy such sizes in regular stores. How did the girls get that big when I've lost weight??? They only had 2 bras in that size and I bought both, so that's an improvement from what I was wearing!

OK I'm off to pick up my 12 pound prime rib...yikes ! Wish me luck cooking the darned thing.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and happy days for those who don't. Take care, Meg from OMaha
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Eve everyone! I am sitting here at my desk at work trying to look busy and not wanting to be. Tonight will be a quiet night at home then tomorrow the trek to my sisters for Christmas dinner at 1. I have to finish wrapping my DS's birthday gifts (B-day 27th) but all Christmas gifts wrapped. Have to pack everything in a box and bring to sis's house. Should be a fun day! I will be seeing family I haven't seen in a very long time. Really can't wait! DH is not to thrilled though. He is depressed. His 2 daughters live here in CT and are not married, but have not so much have called him since we moved back. I bought gift cards for them but we don't even have their current mailing addresses. DH said they either come visit to get them or we keep them (the card). So sad for him. But it has been that way for as long as we were in TN. They NEVER came to visit in TN but were able to fly to Italy a couple times a year, or go to Florida and California for vacation whenever they felt like it. The girls are 30 and 32 years old, no kids, not married, so have no excuses. DH gets depressed when he sees how many family gets together.

Juanita- My deepest sympathies for you about your brother. You and your family are in my prayers at this awful sad time.

Well, I have finished venting and need to get back in the spirit of things.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Rita from chilly CT
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,811 Member
    Options
    morning again,
    well we got our chores done... I packed almost everything we need, DH washed the car and vacumed it,I vacumed and febrezed all the rooms with carpeting and straightened things up..
    now what to do? all our florida friends are busy with other stuff, it is a bit windy and cool for the beach but that is a possibility...
    and there is a pot luck dinner we will be going to tomorrow night at 5 up at the rec hall, they oodles of food,but I will restrain myself because I have learned what I can eat and cant...I might break down and have a ginger ale with dinner, I dont drink soda anymore, but an occasional ginger ale hit's the spot.
    I am so glad some of you will be with family.. mine is scattered. DD and DGD are in Ohio, and I hope to skype with them in the morning..
    will skype with my other DGD in the afternoon as they serve at a soup kitchen with there dad and stepmom in the morning,which I think is so wonderful...
    my son will be at my dad's ,he no longer gives present's to us,but spends a ton on all his friends.. which I guess is ok.. we didnt get either of the kids anything.. it is mostly about the DGD's, did get stuff for our dad's , but other than that ..
    Got the DH a gift certificate to Lowes, and a grapefruit tree that he already planted. I dont expect anything,but thats ok
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Juanita - so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. :brokenheart: I have a brother gone as well, some 13 years ago - I was so glad he was out of pain, but I do miss him.

Michele In NC - Yep - that Polish Christmas Eve is beginning to really roll! Cheese Pierogi, check; fish and crab stuffing, check; scallops for appetizer, check; fresh asparagus, pickled beets, check!! I', also making orange cranberry breads today for the neighbors. Kitchen is definitely smelling good.:wink:

Jill in Western MA
  • exermom
    Options

I've been MIA with posting here but have tried to read all of the pages. I found out in November that a friend, Sheri, has been diagnosed with colon cancer. She is the type of person that doesn't like to ask for help or show that anything is wrong and she hadn't been feeling well most of the previous year but thought it was due to stress. Her husband walked out on her for another woman last Christmas day and then her mother had to have surgery due to a leak in her intestines this past September. She finally went to have her stomach (and other issues) checked and they found the cancer and also a thyroid issue which was making her feel so tired. While dealing with tests and consults for her cancer, her mother contracted a bacterial infection from the surgery and was in critical care for several weeks. Her mom was released but rushed back to the hospital last week and died 4 days later. Her funeral was this past Friday and my friend has to start her chemo/radiation treatment next week. She was her mom's sole support as there isn't any other family. In some way, her mother's passing may be a blessing as her mom was schizophrenic and she was always having to 'put out fires' such as tracking her down, handling issues (real and imaginary) with other people, etc. Always a phone call away from an immediate emergency. I'm not sure how she would have continued to deal with it while undergoing her own treatment. Her treatment will consist of chemo/radiation for 5 days a week for 5 weeks and then surgery. Would appreciate prayers for Sheri. She just turned 55.

Prayers for her
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Happy Christmas Eve,

Juanita prayers for your family.

Prayers for Sheri too.

Neighbor brought over chocolate covered cherries. Nice treat as long as I don't over do. Went to Target and walked around three times for exercise. I am trying to support them despite all the problems with the charge cards.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • exermom
    Options
    Meg - congrats on the great losses. I didn't know you could buy that size bra, either. Good for you getting them

Allison - how wonderful that your gd serves at a soup kitchen. Someone mentioned about putting a ham in the crockpot for Christmas day, so that's what I'm going to try. If it works out, volunteering at a soup kitchen might be a good idea since we'll have most of the day free. I'm still hoping that Vince agrees that we should make a donation to the soup kitchen instead of sending Bryan anything (except what I already got him). He said to buy ourselves something but I think it would be better to show him that we're thinking of others, too. I think he's of the opinion that we don't think of anyone but ourselves (we're not him)

Jill - do you do most of your cooking for Christmas Eve early in the month and then freeze it or do you do it all the day before. I need to do it early in the month and then freeze it because Denise and Jess usually don't come until the 23rd and then they have to wrap, I would like to be available in case they need something. Potatoes for mashed potatoes already peeled and in the refrigerator. Prepared the cod and the catfish. Made the crab cakes, the pierogi, the apple pie, the shrimp casserole, the cheese crackins, and cookies earlier. They were taken out of the freezer to thaw a few days ago. The lobster is thawing , the crab legs are still in the freezer (I understand that they should be cooked frozen)

I have extra cod and catfish in case I need to make more next weekend when Kris is here. I didn't take all of the pierogi out of the freezer, will make these ghiradelli shortbread cookies that Jessica likes, we'll probably have other leftover cookies, too. May have to make another applie pie, not sure about that yet, or not

Michele in NC
    who needs to put the water on to boil soon to cook the lobster tails, then to get the out of the shell and put them on a cookie sheet to broil
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Oh hi, I'd like to join this group! Hellooooo.

I'm restarting, I've had a very intense year, but things are way better. My PF is in remission (plantar fasciitis) because I've been reading about TMS & Dr. Sarno, and more importantly, I'm DANCING again! We bought the xbox one and am doing Just Dance 2014 & Zumba World Party (started a very lonely thread about that too).

And now I'm losing WEIGHT again! I love it. I'm an ex-punkrockgirly, but never got the tattoos, (thank goodness!), those WERE the days, eh, right, if anyone else here was part of that.

Anyways, I'm on the weight loss side of things after a super difficult year!

All the best!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Not good news ar cardiologists. Having a third heart cath on Friday. Oh joy.

More later.

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Christmas eve;
    Sylvia,sorry about the cath.
    Had a sleepover with Violet,slept til 10.She helped me package cookies .We left some for the mail carrier.
    Tonite is our Christmas candle light service.
    HUGS to all.
    Jane