WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Not good news ar cardiologists. Having a third heart cath on Friday. Oh joy.

More later.

Sylvia

I'm sorry you're facing another cath procedure on Friday. I hope it will do the trick and you'll feel wonderful again.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well ready or not it Christmas!! I am pretty much ready. I picked up the last couple gifts this morning at the hospital gift shop. I do think they have so many things and not what I would buy for hospital patient. But makes for good shopping for the staff. I admit I do spend alot there. It is run by voluteers and money goes to buy things for the hospital. I voluteer there acouple evenings a month. I enjoy it and is a nice change of pace. I work until 6pm then we will go over to my DS and have Christmas with him and family. Then at 10 I want to go to church. I keep trying to take most the DC and DGC, but not having alot of luck. Then in the morning we are going to DSS house and have Christmas with DHs children and ex. DH was off yesterday so he baked the pies for tomorrow. Sunday evening we went over to Hastings which is about 24 miles and took DGD and DGGS out looking at Christmas lights. DGGS is almost 3 years old and he loved it. He would say Papa stop when we went by a house. Then we went to DQ. When we got back to thier house when DGD got out and went around the car to get him out he locked the door and said he wasn't going. Kind of funny as he doesn't see us much and most the time he doesn't get real close. Guess maybe he thinks we are not all bad. They will be there tonight so looking forward to watching him open gifts.
    I was surprised this morning when I did my weigh in. I lost 3.3 pounds this week for total of 140. It amazes me. Last evening DH was looking at some pictures we had taken summer of 2011. He compared one of me then and now. I could really see the difference. Funny how when I just look in the mirror I don't see it.

viv--sure glad you were not hurt in your fall.

Juanita--:brokenheart: :sad: Hugs and prayers to you and family over your loss. I lost my sister 8 years ago and somedays I think of calling her then I remember. She had a lot of health problems so is not in pain and I have to remember that.

jb--So enjoy your songs. We have some very talented poeple on here.

Katla--enjoied your song also. Love the picture in my mind of the ship and the fog.

Sylvia--Good Luck with the doctor appointment today. Our Sassy that we lost last summer loved ice. She would crunch it right down., I also buy the $4.00 at WalMart and DH and I use it most nights.

grandmallie--Early morning on the lanai sound wounderful. Hope you are enjoying your vacation and getting lots of rest. Does sounds like you are staying busy.

Kayak--:brokenheart: Prayers to you and your friend.

yanniejannie--All NSV count. Sure hope you are feeling better.

Michele--I had frozen grapes for the first time last summer when we took some of the grandkids to the pool. Really liked them and it was hot so enjoied them.

Tazgirl--:flowerforyou: Hugs and Happy B-lated BD.

Lizplus-- welcome back and Hugs

Joyce--Hope you had a good rest with the new c-pap mask.

personally I feel when we take time to touch base even if all we have time for is about how we are doing it helps. I try and read everyday, just don't have time to post or just do a short one. I feel keeping in touch is important for my strenght.
    Hugs to those not feeling well and Pray everyone has safe travels for them and family.

Merry Christmas, Blessed Vicki GI NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Juanita - big hugs ((((×××××)))))

Kayakkutie - strength to your friend Sheri. I have a dear friend going through something similar. :cry: :brokenheart:

WELL! We have just got through 19 hours of power cut here in the south of England. Wow! It makes you so grateful for electricity. We were told we might still be off for Chtistmas Day, but it came on 6.30 on the Eve. I am not ashamed to say I burst into tears and had a big sob in DH's arms. What a relief! You all know how hard I have worked and how much planning has gone in to this Christmas. I was envisioning the family not coming and if they came not staying - no fun in the dark with a tiny baby and a toddler. Then - behold - light! My freezer and fridge were both giving up the ghost - it came back just in time.:happy: We weren't cold becsuse we have a log burner and a gas fire, but everything else . ? ? ? ?
    All better now, but I get quite tearful thinking about it. We had HUGE winds and DH had to tske his dsughter all the way back to London as there were no trains at all and airports flooded. So he spent the whole day in the car and fell asleep on the sofa when he got home.
    We had a wonderful night last night with DSIL and DSD. After dinner we were talking about musicals and looked up a few lyrics on google, then found utube videos and spent the evening doing karaoke! ! ! ! ! ! ! I will post a photo when I have time. It was such fun dancing round the kitchen doing old seventies dances! DSD was still talking about it when DH took her home!

The Christmas Quiz was not a roaring success as it was a bit hard for DSIL. It was based on answers with a specific colour in the answer - 12 sections, each with a different colour eg the White House. I got nearly all of them right.:blushing:

Michele - I used sharp cheddar cheese and a bit of parmesan. They were quite cheesy and a HUGE success as a canapé yesterday eve. I served them with chilli jam, mango chutney and chilli sauce. All yummy yummy. The next batch are reserved for DGS.!:laugh: :love:

Busy day tomorrow. Family arriving at 10 am. Sooooooooo thankful for electricity. :heart:

Heather in battered Hampshire UK

Sylvia - just seen your post. Huge commiserations. Love to you!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just got on for a quick catch up. Really been lazy; wiped out.........had a huge nap, imagine that, with all I SHOULD be doing!!! Thanks to everyone for the get well wishes when I was so sick with this.......now just a few days to get back up to snuff. It's a good thing there's only the 3 of us, I have no real pressure to get things done but I still feel bad about it. Had a good conversation with an old friend.........the one from kindergarten.

Katla........Wonderful that you had such a good conversation with your DDIL; I'm happy for you.

Kyak Kutie...........Will keep your friend Sheri in my thoughts. Hope her chemo/rad. goes well.

meg........Fabulous NSV; Isn't it nice to have bras that fit?????? I have a small tenderloin---only the 3 of us.

Margaret........Love those Cellas chocolate covered cherries! None so far this year for me yet; but there is someone who usually gives me a box.

Sylvia.........So sorry to hear you need to go through that procedure again. Best of luck. Let us know.

Vicki.......140???? 140!!!! Amazing, super, fabulous!!!!

Heather...........SO glad your power came back on; I know you put so much into planning your holiday; it would have been a terrible shame to have the weather ruin all you've looked forward to!!!

I was going to make clam chowder for dinner but DH didn't want it, so he's on his own and DD and I will scrounge something up in the kitchen.

yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening ladies, took a tootle around the park on my bike for about 1/2 hr, went over to were the birds roost for the night and watched them for a few minutes and watched the sunset, rode to the front of the park, and now waiting for the clothes in the dryer to dry.. exciting evening!!!!
    will try and stay up and not go to bed at 7:30-8:00 I am a wuss I guess ,,im used to going to bed then and getting up early
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Went back to work today. First day since the norovirus. Good thing we got to leave at 2:30 PM. I am still so tired. That virus sucked the life out of me.

Now I am off until January 2nd. So, am looking forward to all the days off...and oh yes, the festivities too. Actually, what I really look forward to is starting on a jigsaw puzzle. Anyone else out there that loves those? DD bought 2 for the family. But first turkey dinner on Boxing Day.

:heart: My thoughts go out to those who grieve around this time of year, either freshly or from long ago.

ttyl
    Renny
    from mild temperature Vancouver Island, BC
  • aspeenat
    Options
    cold is not an excuse. I am in the countrified part of Western Massachusetts and I get up every morning before 5 to walk or jogg for 40 minutes. I wear 2 pairs of sweats and 2 sweatshirts. Plus you can find TONS of work out videos on Youtube. Jillian Michael's 6 weeks to a 6 pack abs is on YoutTube.
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies! Well I did it, 22 blankets made and 5 purses, the house is clean and presents are wrapped. My DH made 3 different pies from scratch today for dinner tomorrow, and have the appetizers done as well. He will get up about 4am to get the Turkey on the Smoker, and we will deep fry the other one about an hour before we eat.

I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas, may it be a blessed one with Family and Friends. I would also like to say Thank you for the encouragement along this journey of losing weight and getting healthy. You are Wonderful Ladies and am thankful for each of you.

Merry Christmas, Tina in Florida :flowerforyou:
  • suekellar1
    Options
    I like this tks
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!! It has been a whirlwind lately, but I think I've caught up on the reading here.

DeeDee - Thanks for the shout out earlier in the week.

Renny - I like jigsaw puzzles, too. I have one on our dining room table that is really hard. Hope to get it done before too long, but 10-ish pieces is a good session with this one. The easy parts are done and the areas left are generally nondescript with few identifiable clues. When done I am going to make it permanent/frame it. Actually it was started at the end of October when the Georgia gals got together. :noway: :embarassed:

Juanita - so sorry about your beloved brother.

Kayak - prayers for Sheri.

Sylvia - so sorry about another heart cath. I found mine difficult.

Vicki - 140 pounds forever gone is wonderful!

Work has been the usual craziness, especially with year-end. Alas! I am thankful for gainful employment.

I am determined to payoff our mortgage before I retire and have figured out a way to do it in the next 6 years. Not having that expense will make a huge difference.

Our pizza is ready in the oven. May everyone enjoy their family and friends in their celebrations.

Gail, metro ATL
  • suekellar1
    Options
    I`m new here ,I don`t need to go backward. I need help. Ive lost 38 pounds since April but have got off track. I really don`t know what exercise to do at the gym to get out of this slump I`m in .
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sue! Make an appointment with a staff member at the gym and ask for a basic program. The Y has a 'coach approach' program that gets you started.

Gail, metro ATL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Viv, sorry to hear about your fall and glad that it was only a muddy mess and not an injury……I fell once in the mud when I was wearing my good wool coat and it cost a lot to get in dry cleaned……now I am very careful to change into my washable warm coat when I walk the dogs…….we had to make a rule at our house that the dogs get no “people food” at all….our dogs don’t need to lose weight, but Bernie the cat needs to lose three pounds….I hope you get your fitbit----I’ve heard many good things about them. I count steps with an Omron pedometer.

:bigsmile: DeeDee, I love the image of your car acting as a sleigh filled with presents.

:bigsmile: Grandmallie, thanks for the reminders of the important things to be grateful for.

:bigsmile: Yanniejannie, I’m happy to hear that you’re on the road to recovery.

:flowerforyou: Michele, you are so accustomed to healthy eating that even going over calories will still be a healthy thing for you.

:flowerforyou: Katla, you have such a good attitude about the holidays even with your son away.

KayakKutie, sorry to hear about your friend, Sheri, and all her challenges…:brokenheart: ..it sounds like you have a good plan for enjoying your holiday with family far away.

:flowerforyou: Meg, I’m looking forward to hearing more about the 12 pound prime rib…congrats on your NSV with clothing sizes.

Rita, sorry to hear about your DH’s sadness about his daughters.:brokenheart:

:flowerforyou: Jill, enjoy all your yummy holiday goodies

:flowerforyou: Margaret, chocolate covered cherries wouldn’t be safe in my house…..i could stay away from them, but Jake would devour them.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jane Smith, you became part of our supportive community as soon as you posted….I love to dance, too……I go to three line dance classes a week and sometimes dance at home…congrats on your weight loss so far.

Sylvia, I’m sorry you have to go back to the hospital for another procedure…:brokenheart: …here’s hoping that this one does the trick.:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, your holiday sounds very busy…..hope it turns out great for you……congrats on the weight loss.

:flowerforyou: Heather, what a frightful experience to be without electricity after all the amazing planning you’ve done for your holiday celebration…..how great that the power came on in time.

:flowerforyou: Renny, what a blessing to have your first day back at work be a short day right before a holiday.

:flowerforyou: Aspeenat, where I live is not quite as cold as where you are, but I have a multi-layer wardrobe of clothing that I wear when I get up long before daylight to walk my dogs every morning…..the dogs love the walk and I love the guaranteed exercise every day.

:bigsmile: Tina, I knew you could meet the challenge of all the blankets and purses…..congratulations.

:flowerforyou: Suekellar, I like to walk so that is a big part of my exercise program. I got a book called “Strong Women Stay Young” and found a great “at home” strength training program that I can do while watching TV.

:flowerforyou: Gail, enjoy your pizza

:bigsmile: We had mild, dry weather today so the dogs got several nice long walks……Jake fixed a special brunch…..hash browns with onions and jalapenos and veggie sausage. I found a new dance to learn to teach the beginner line dance class…..one of my resolutions for December was to spend time dancing at home……I also found time to play with Bernie

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 16,000 steps today----one minute plank----40 crunches

2576535f473vowepr.gif
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's still icy & cold here. My DS is here early with us as he still has no power. It's nice to have him home.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! Have a safe & joyous day.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Renny and Gail, we love puzzles, too. This year our DD gave us a 500 piece puzzle that is a collage of pictures throughout the year of our two grandchildren, I can't wait to get started on it.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I`m new here ,I don`t need to go backward. I need help. Ive lost 38 pounds since April but have got off track. I really don`t know what exercise to do at the gym to get out of this slump I`m in .

Gail has a good idea. I have another. It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you move your body and burn calories. I like to walk, do yoga, and ride my bike. I time my exercises and am able to look up the calorie burn here on MFP. Some people here like to swim, dance, or do circuit training. It is all good. The bottom line is to choose exercise that you enjoy so you will want to do it, rather than face it as a chore. Good luck to you.
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies
    Merry christmas and season's greetings to everyone:flowerforyou:
    Juanita so sorry about your brother :heart:
    Meg :bigsmile: what lovely results..... had no idea of such bra sizes :bigsmile: well well well :flowerforyou:
    Sylvia :smile: your being alert has helped to identify the problem, now for the procedure to rectify it :flowerforyou: :love: :bigsmile:
    You will be as good as new soon
    Michelle you are so inspirational in your dedication to working out :bigsmile: Bryan is your son, he must be quite like you in giving but sometimes sons are quite clueless about their parents. :love:
    Heather the weather :grumble: but so glad everything worked out well. Love the singing. Remember lots of Christmas eves spent with friends singing carols and old songs, :laugh: :love:
    Yanniejannie so glad you r feeling better, great timing:flowerforyou:
    Katla great to hear about your talk with DIL and the bannister
    Barbie thanks for nudging me to think.... I realised at times when I am at home and the dessert is right there I cant walk away from, Ican serve myself a very small amount, relish each teeny bite and take my time over it and not wolf it down. I tried it the other day and it worked. I was satisfied and felt good about the control. I also remembered what Heather said, the food is going nowhere, there will be other times to eat :blushing:
    Praying for all of us, may we be stronger, healthier and happier. May our friends and family be healthy and happy too. May we have big hearts to forgive others and small memories to forget old, bad habits and painful experiences (and people).
    Thanks for the lovely songs:wink: jb
    Since have a few days off, planning to do yoga every morning. For the first time in months have gone down to below 71kg ( 70.8):bigsmile:
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's almost 11pm on Christmas Eve. Hubby has gone to bed, with Bruno. Molly is here with me, relaxing for a few minutes before I too turn in. What a day. We went to the cardiologist and I told him that I had a few episodes of slight angina, thinking he would say it was normal or change my meds or something, but no, he said I should not be having any angina at all, so they need to go back in and check it out again. So, we are trying to get it done as soon as possible, not because it's an emergency - it's not- but because our out of pocket copay is all paid for 2013 and it would cost us several thousand if we waited another week. Not a great reason, I admit, but if it has to be done at all, it might just as well be free. All this is because I forgot to wear my lucky earrings today! Nothing bad can happen when I wear those. Our anniversary is New Year's Eve, so this will slip right between Christmas and anniversary. Not too bad.

We finished our Christmas shopping in Kansas City, then came home and had the kids over for dinner for Christmas Eve. I made little hamburger sliders using kings Hawaiian rolls as buns, french fries, and fudge brownies. The kids played and sang carols, hubby and son watched tv. Bruno licked kids faces and followed them around like a puppy. It was fun, but I had a little spell in the middle of it and had to take some nitro. Then got back up and cleaned up from dinner, made a pumpkin chiffon pie, and wrapped all the gifts. Now I have to start the dishwasher before I go to bed and get the roast ready for the crock pot. In the morning I have to finish the deviled eggs, make corn casserole and I'll be about done. I'm going to let the kids put the crescent rolls on the cookie sheets. They love to help me in the kitchen. You should have seen me trying to break making brownies into three equal tasks so everybody got to do something. The little guy carries around my little step stool so when it's his turn he can reach the counter. It's so cute.

So, I'm looking forward to a really nice day tomorrow. I hope everyone has a great day too, whether you celebrate Christmas or not.

Merry Christmas friends!

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I think that is an excellent reason why you need to have it done in 2013. We all need to save a little money when we can. I would imagine a cardiac catherization costs a pretty penny. I got my bill for the CAT scan I had last month. Over $3200 for a CAT scan!!!! So I can imagine what your procedure would cost. It almost gave me angina just thinking about what all you did tonight AFTER having to take a nitro and what you have to do tomorrow. Girlfriend, you may have to start delegating. I am going to have my 12 year old DGD help me fix the corn casserole this year. She is old enough that she can help in the kitchen and she is a good cook in her own home. The recipe I have is so, so simple, the 7 year old could probably help also but she is a mess.

Our Christmas eve has been like any other evening of the year. We watched a holiday movie from the DVR. I really like to watch the 10 PM news, well at least until the sports come on, so I knew that we wouldn't have enough time to watch another movie so I told my husband that I would watch one of my recorded episodes of Law and Order Criminal intent and House Hunters. So he went downstairs then. I will go to bed at my usual time. We will go to my sisters tomorrow at noon for sandwiches and chips. I won't have that but that's the menu. I'll call my brothers tomorrow. They are both Grandpas so I know they will be up early. Still doing some little bits of cleaning daily so I will be ready for Jan 4th. The biggest thing will be to tackle the kitchen floor. UG, hate that.

Hope everyone has a warm, safe and happy holiday where ever you are., Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Need some creative minds that would mind being a little wacky with it. You have to think outside the box. We used to give everyone gifts at Christmas time. But eventually a lot of people complained, said it was cost prohibitive. But I just didn't like not giving my brother a git. So I started giving him something stupid. Like one year he told me he wanted an IPad. So I took a small note pad of which a have a zillion of them here, wrote an I on it and wrapped it. That was a little better than what my duaghter did to her husband. She put an I on one of her Kotex pads!!!! One year I emptied up my printer into a big, big box and wrapped it real special. I have a display in my bathroom of 4 childrens blocks that spell BATH. Of course on each side are some other letters so I never knew what word would be up there when my family came to visit. So My sister and I raided out kids blocks and found another set of B A T and H blocks for him. He loves it and now his little grandson loves it. I just do things like that. I'm fresh out of ideas. I got my new C_Pap supplies yesterday and was wondering if I could do anything with that big long tubing. I trid to tie it into a bow but it just won't do it. My daughter suggested hot gluing it to make a wreath. If I put some of my gold garland in it, and made a wreath, how would I make it rigid?