Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm glad I'm a man...

...so that my healthy skepticism isn't construed as jealousy.

(It's unfortunate that women don't have this same luxury.)

I actually think the discussion about her and what are and are not reasonable expectations for a "normal" pregnancy are potentially beneficial. And I don't remember that much jealousy (and certainly not "rampant jealousy") in the nine pages so far...at least not in a malicious way.

I've been reading backwards to where I left off. I agree with Jof in all of his comments in this thread. In fact I didn't even speculate that it was potentially a few weeks later than she claimed, until Jof first mentioned it.

I never thought the twerking girl that caught on fire was a real mishap either. Does that mean I'm jealous and hating on twerking girls that catch on fire? It's things such as that being the reason I am initially skeptical of most things I see on the internet. I think that's reasonable.

One is a viral video meant to be funny. Suspecting it's fake is normal. It's performance.

Here you are literally proposing that the woman and her husband, who apparently enjoy some fame overseas, are literally lying to people. Not only are they lying, but they've been planning and engaging in a complicated lie for the better part of a year just to post this one picture.

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. All I saw was the photo, I did not go and look through the blog and don't know her (does someone have a link). Calm down. We just questioned it. I didn't run after her and call her a liar. I would never be mean to her. And I agree from what I have read that it's genuine. Ok, I'll take your word for it on this. No one was harmed in the making of this thread.

I don't think anyone is taking it personally. They are probably, like I, a little perplexed at how you can look at this woman's thousands of pictures of her pregnancy and conclude that it's all a big scam, with the pictures delayed by weeks/months, just to conclude with this one post-pregnancy picture being posted to create the illusion of 4 days instead of 2 weeks.

BTW, phrases like "calm down" are a cheap trick people use in this type of conversation to falsely paint the other person as mad/hysterical/etc. Don't fall into that sort of cognitive trap.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous or impressed...why do you have to be either?

FAVE^ thread winner. /thread
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I actually think the discussion about her and what are and are not reasonable expectations for a "normal" pregnancy are potentially beneficial. And I don't remember that much jealousy (and certainly not "rampant jealousy") in the nine pages so far...at least not in a malicious way.

I've been reading backwards to where I left off. I agree with Jof in all of his comments in this thread. In fact I didn't even speculate that it was potentially a few weeks later than she claimed, until Jof first mentioned it.

I never thought the twerking girl that caught on fire was a real mishap either. Does that mean I'm jealous and hating on twerking girls that catch on fire? It's things such as that being the reason I am initially skeptical of most things I see on the internet. I think that's reasonable.

One is a viral video meant to be funny. Suspecting it's fake is normal. It's performance.

Here you are literally proposing that the woman and her husband, who apparently enjoy some fame overseas, are literally lying to people. Not only are they lying, but they've been planning and engaging in a complicated lie for the better part of a year just to post this one picture.

The "fake" video was not purported to be fake, but seemed like it might be. Skepticism was appropriate and accurate.

The picture was not purported to be fake, but *given typical results* seemed like it might be. Skepticism was appropriate, but apparently not accurate.

Besides, I'm going to make a distinction between questioning the authenticity of a third-hand photo posted in a fitness site and directly challenging the subject of the photo. I don't believe she did anything wrong in being skeptical (and I'm not just saying that since she admitted *I* was the one who first led her to her skepticism).
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about where you people live that "bikinis are required" and it's shameful to look like you've just given birth. :huh: Lets think about real life for a second here, not was is presented by the media.

Between Beverly Hills and Marin County most of the time. :smile: It's just the way functions are organised here and it works. Dinner at a restaurant is perceived as impersonal. Strange for me when I'd moved here from Manhattan, NY ~ adjusted right quick. Gotta make the dosh, most especially if your business is network reliant!

ETA: Adjusted quote.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What?

Ok, I already said I didn't look at the thousands of photos.

I never said anything mean.

Sorry I didn't put the research into it. It just wasn't that important to me.

Perhaps I have a misconception that people are being a bit reactive and grumpy.

Maybe people are thinking I said something I didn't.

I'm sorry for upsetting people. There is not much else I can do.

I questioned something. I was wrong, No one was harmed.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. All I saw was the photo right here on mfp, I did not go and look through the blog and don't know her (does someone have a link). I just posted in the thread, a simple question. I didn't make a blog post or go to her facebook page. Calm down. We just questioned it. I didn't run after her and call her a liar. I would never be mean to her. And I agree from what I have read that it's genuine. Ok, I'll take your word for it on this. No one was harmed in the making of this thread.

Yup, ^this. Although if she were personally to show me the photo and tell me it was four days post, I would almost certainly say, audibly, to her face, "No way! No freakin' way! I don't believe you! That's incredible! Seriously? No, seriously, seriously???" That's essentially what the handful of people in this thread...(henceforth, but only in this thread, I will call them my minions)...who are incredulous have said (except not directly to her).
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    No bandage ~ a clear white strip over the stitches. The stitches are invincible. The "bandage" is more akin to the strip placed over staples after a laparoscopy. The area does/did look inflamed, you are correct. :)) Mobility and the sunken eyes were the clear telltale signs that a surgical procedure was done ~ yes, but makeup pretty much covers and conceals the bags and sunken eyes..

ETA: It is 2013 ~ the average woman with money has a glam squad, to doll her up at all times.

I suppose it's possible; I think it's unlikely given how the area looks (no swelling, redness, etc).

The bold part made me laugh ;)

The area in question would be located beneath her knickers. She would have to pull them down for you to see it. :wink: :laugh:

Invincible and invisible are two different things ;)

It's horrifying this needs to be pointed out.

Exactly Mia ~ an error on my part which I had since corrected within the provided allocation period. Pleased that you too felt the compunction to add to the thread highlighting a typo.

Some women prefer to feel invincible post pregnancy because of the pervasive hype(negative) and they will opt for invisible stitches and other availed expensive protocols to ensure that they are not victims to the lashings associated with childbirth. It is a world where the bikini and bodycentric culture pays the bills ~ networking ~ family, philanthropy or business ~ A bikini is a must.

Having been a labor and delivery nurse for a decent amount of time, it's not up to the patient how the wound will be closed. It's up to the surgeon.

You may be confusing a typical hospital setting where that is all 99.44% of us know with the type of setting massive wealth can buy.

For example, I'm pretty sure she doesn't sit in her doctor's waiting room for an hour for her regular appointments...and she probably doesn't have trouble making an appointment that fits her schedule...like you and I would.

QFT. Thank you Jof :flowerforyou:

ETA: add "f" to name
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. All I saw was the photo right here on mfp, I did not go and look through the blog and don't know her (does someone have a link). I just posted in the thread, a simple question. I didn't make a blog post or go to her facebook page. Calm down. We just questioned it. I didn't run after her and call her a liar. I would never be mean to her. And I agree from what I have read that it's genuine. Ok, I'll take your word for it on this. No one was harmed in the making of this thread.

Yup, ^this. Although if she were personally to show me the photo and tell me it was four days post, I would almost certainly say, audibly, to her face, "No way! No freakin' way! I don't believe you! That's incredible! Seriously? No, seriously, seriously???" That's essentially what the handful of people in this thread...(henceforth, but only in this thread, I will call them my minions)...who are incredulous have said (except not directly to her).

Yeah, My reaction was: Wow! That was my reaction. I don't think being wowed harmed her or her husband.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find both the fact that so many complain that these pics are posted and the fact that so many complain about others compalining about the pics to be equally odd.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Well, only speaking for myself, I said that she hates mothers and women.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you look at her Instagram, she posts pictures of her progressing pregnancy all the way up until 11/23. Then there are pics of her newborn starting 11/26. The pic in question is posted 11/28.

And if you scroll back and look at the pics of her stomach before she was pregnant, they look *markedly* different.

There's really no reason to think the picture is fake.

Unless you haven't looked at her instagram...

...and then there is a reason to think the picture is fake....

...even if it's an apparently bogus reason.

Right we didn't all look at it. And it's kind of my MO to be skeptical about internet memes.

I think skepticism is a reasonable starting point for...well, most things.

I'm gonna agree with Jof on this. and add especially for most incredible things. Oh I wish I could have perfect grammared this for Jof, but alas I have a headache and so hope it's enough that I agree.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    What?

My best guess is that people are attributing my comments to you...perhaps because you said you agreed with me...

...so they're jumping your case while I'm over hear waving my arms yelling, "Hey, guys! I'm the one you're after!"

*sigh* MFP

To be clear, I still find her photo...this one photo absent the context of her instagram documentary (which I will *not* be clicking through from work)...unbelievable...but that's because I'm having to reconcile it with my own decades of experience that says that it's not possible. Does that mean it's impossible? No, of course not...it's just "impossible" within my own limited constraints. Geesh, give me a little time to expand my understanding of what is possible.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    She looks great, but is this actually even possible 4 days post birth? I am childless so I wouldn't know, but I thought that you had a little pouch for a while regardless of how fit you are...can any mothers speak to that?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    She looks great, but is this actually even possible 4 days post birth? I am childless so I wouldn't know, but I thought that you had a little pouch for a while regardless of how fit you are...can any mothers speak to that?

You have 17 pages to read.

Go ahead...click right here and get to it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1146032-another-mom-under-fire-for-post-baby-selfie

We'll wait.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    What?

My best guess is that people are attributing my comments to you...perhaps because you said you agreed with me...

...so they're jumping your case while I'm over hear waving my arms yelling, "Hey, guys! I'm the one you're after!"

*sigh* MFP

To be clear, I still find her photo...this one photo absent the context of her instagram documentary (which I will *not* be clicking through from work)...unbelievable...but that's because I'm having to reconcile it with my own decades of experience that says that it's not possible. Does that mean it's impossible? No, of course not...it's just "impossible" within my own limited constraints. Geesh, give me a little time to expand my understanding of what is possible.

It is a little bit perplexing. And I'm even questioning my own understanding. It's certainly not the norm.

When I was 7 months postpartum from my second baby, people at the gym would grab their husbands and point at me and say, "She has a 7 month old baby!" And the guys would yell SEVEN MONTHS!?!? WHAT?!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!

And it just made me blush. Us mothers like hearing stuff like that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What?

*sigh* MFP

In the interest of total fairness then, I find you equally if not more wrong. But then I thought we were disregarding you because you're a man. Or was it praising you and disregarding all the other men? IDK.

Something about man bits.

Edit: I also don't think anyone was upset, though I admit I may have been a bit annoyed that I provided a link that even a brief peak at would show the woman in question: In her pajamas, which seems to be mandatory. With the baby and other people in Christmas themed settings. Looking tired and worn, again mandatory. A look further back would show the last two years but I don't expect everyone to put in that kind of work. (I'm now following her, but I follow at least a dozen women who have similar post baby bodies.)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

If your belly never increases significantly in size, you won't have stretched skin. So just have a little baby, without much fluid, with a small placenta... you know, make it so.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

If your belly never increases significantly in size, you won't have stretched skin. So just have a little baby, without much fluid, with a small placenta... you know, make it so.

She has a pouch. You could see it better if she turned to the side but it's there.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    What?

*sigh* MFP

In the interest of total fairness then, I find you equally if not more wrong. But then I thought we were disregarding you because you're a man. Or was it praising you and disregarding all the other men? IDK.

Something about man bits.

Edit: I also don't think anyone was upset, though I admit I may have been a bit annoyed that I provided a link that even a brief peak at would show the woman in question: In her pajamas, which seems to be mandatory. With the baby and other people in Christmas themed settings. Looking tired and worn, again mandatory. A look further back would show the last two years but I don't expect everyone to put in that kind of work. (I'm now following her, but I follow at least a dozen women who have similar post baby bodies.)

Thank you for acknowledging my wrongness. I feel much better now.

And yes, perhaps you are right, I was being disregarded because I'm a man. Honestly, I don't even know how I ended up in this thread...(I mean, "no uterus, no voice", right?)...and I certainly didn't intend to be the featured protagonist...

...but then all of a sudden, my integrity as a person is being challenged and several people who have always disagreed with everything I have ever said are agreeing with me and human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

ETA: my "conspiracy theory" was that this was an old, pre-pregnancy picture. I'm not saying it is! But if someone *were* perpetuating a fraud, this seems like a reasonably simple way to do it. Obviously, if her instagram is full of other similar photos, then it certainly makes this far less likely.