Anybody still feel ugly after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Some times there just is no cure for ugly. :laugh:
    25fe658d06c66cfa3d3708c367babec74a10f059
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it's crazy how long it takes our minds to catch up with our bodies. I saw the same heavy image of myself for well over 10 years. Even then, I actually saw a thinner version for a long time of myself than I actually was. And although I feel fantastic and can look at more recent pictures of myself and see awesome, it's still not that way looking in the mirror every day. Like most here, I still see a much heavier version of myself most days than I am. The mind is an evil thing sometimes :grumble:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nope. i feel awesome.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I've still had people (after I've lost some weight) say things to me like, "if you weren't so big I'd date you," or "if you lose more weight, I'd be interested." I'm not losing weight for dates or a boyfriend, but geez! It also seems like when I AM feeling great and I AM happy with myself, everyone else is being negative about it.

Not really sure what to say... I turn to MFP for my support, but everyone around me makes it sound like this is a bad addiction, not a helpful tool.

:/
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    weight loss won't change the way you feel about yourself. you have to love yourself no matter what size you are. you have to accept yourself. losing weight won't make that happen.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I've always just figured I earned my body, good or bad, and so if I didn't like it, I could change it. My face (good or bad) wasn't something I earned, so why should I be concerned with it?
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel that way before I lost weight, I certainly don't feel that way now. I don't focus on my flaws, because I see them as part of who I am, but they are not what defines me. I grew up in a super supportive house where negative thinking was not allowed. I thank my optimistic parents everyday for giving me that outlook on life, because of them self esteem was not an issue for me or my two brothers. I simply see my weight loss, as a betterment for my life, and health in general. A smaller me will allow me to more easily do the things I love, and to wear more of the fashions I obsess over. :happy:
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    From what i understand it's a very normal thing. People hold up high in there mind that once they get to their goal all their dreams will come true. When in fact it takes away the most brutal pressing matter of your life so everything else shows easier.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yup.

One of my good friends called me "self loathing" the other day.

She couldn't be more right. I didn't realize how much it showed, though.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Please, each and every one of you that feels this way, take 2 minutes to view this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUjuSNKO_Y
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Time for the positive affirmations people!!! You don't have to lie to yourselves, but hell any amount of effort to get healthier should be a reward and you need to remind yourself daily how awesome you/we all are. it is a lot of work to change your lifestyle. Quit holding on to the names others and you have labeled yourself over the years. You are changing your lives and that's huge! Training your brain to think more positively about yourself is the same as training your body to be more fit. Start every day with something positive about yourself when you are looking at yourself in the mirror, it will change your whole outlook. It takes practice and work, but it does work. I am working on this also because I can degrade myself like no other, but it does nothing for me and just makes other people uncomfortable. Why I like to be so hard on myself is a mystery to me, I guess just a habit I've had for so long, it's hard to let it go. I have started to try to talk to myself in a more positive light, even if it's as little as, I'm proud that I woke up early enough to take my dog for a walk today, we both needed it and we feel great now! I challenge every single one of you who have commented here to start this challenge for a month and see if your outlook on life starts to change and your outlook on your self image starts to improve. For instance, my daughter just took the ACT practice and she didn't score very well and she said, you know I don't test well. And I said not with that attitude, how about, I know that testing isn't one of my strong attributes, but with a little practice and studying, I can probably improve my score. It's as easy as that. Now go forth and use more positivity with your attitudes!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No I don't but then again I never felt ugly even when I was 350 pounds, I've lost around 150 to date. Just my two cents but if you feel poorly about yourself from the start then losing weight may not fix it by itself.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know that I look better than when I was chubby but I still feel ugly. Also, my calves have barely shrunk so I still hate my legs.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So you are trying to tell me that weight or physical appearance is the barometer of beauty. REALLY! I would rather be obese and to the bone unattractive than mean, spiteful, hurtful., callous, selfish,abusive, deceitful, or any one of the finer vices known to mankind. Because that is pure to the bone UGLY!! if you look for the real beauty in your fellow beings and find it, then it is impossible to be looking for anything less in yourself. And this is how this problem is fixed or so I believe and this is how I am working on fixing it. Not perfect by a long shot but I am really trying to improve my perspective on others because I believe that this will fix my perspective on me. Also need to work on those character flaws I know I have so that I can be more beautiful person on the inside where it counts and I will stop obsessing over mere appearance.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you on your weightloss!!:flowerforyou:
    You are all lovely ppl:flowerforyou:
  • hansolfl
    Options
    I thought I was the only one... :/ But I feel like my self confidence has gone up a bit. ^^ I've lost 20 pounds, and I still can't get rid of that inner thigh bulge. I feel as if I that I have to lose a lot more to get that stubborn part off.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I get told all the time how great I look, that I'm beautiful, etc. but I never truly believe it. Now I don't think I'm 'ugly' but I feel like I have average looks.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know that I look better than when I was chubby but I still feel ugly. Also, my calves have barely shrunk so I still hate my legs.

for me its my thighs I still have huge thunder thighs despite dropping 68 lbs, I hate them! My least favorite part of my body.
  • TNM2014
    TNM2014 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, This would be me. I started my journey at 268 pounds and to date I am 200.4 pounds. Although I know that I have to keep going to reach my goal, I also feel the need to stay here at 200 pounds because its familiar. Every time I get this close to onderland, I end up gaining weight and I am starting to accept that it is all mental. I am having a hard time accepting the new me and even buying clothes for my changing body. I have gone to thrift stores to purchase new uniforms and one pair of jeans but for some reason i'm afraid to tell anyone may new size. Glad to know that I am not alone.:cry::brokenheart: :indifferent: :ohwell:

I MUST ADD.... Although I am having trouble adjusting to my changing body, I am NOT having a problem accepting my beauty, LOL!! I have come too far for that :blushing: :flowerforyou:
    Don't be too hard on yourself and find a way to work with your changes and see the beauty in the hard work that you have put in :wink:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Random kindness - Christmas chocolates for the office! Some great posts on the last page or two, putting things into context. :smile: