Anybody still feel ugly after losing weight?

Options
The thread title says it all. All that work trying to get in shape and your life is still a tale of brutal rejection and wondering what is wrong with you?

Am I the only one who can only see the 'old' me in the mirror?

Replies

• agalassie
    agalassie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm still not done with my weight loss journey, but I feel like I still look the same. People say I look great, but I still feel like I'm the same size I was when I started. Even when looking in the mirror, I know I'm wearing clothes 4 sizes smaller, but I still feel big. Don't know how to not feel that way.
  • mylife4eva
    Options
    wow, i thought i was the only one! like today, i looked at myself in the mirror and thought, i lost 21 pounds but i still look as fat as i used to' though ppl say i look slimmer, i dont see it.
  • endorphinqueen
    Options
    Yeah I get you. Losing weight is one thing but it does bring all the other issues to the surface. It did for me anyway.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone. I feel the same way. Everyone thinks I should be happy, losing 120 pounds. But they don't realize how emotional of a journey it is. How I still see the fat woman in the mirror, how I still FEEL like the fat woman. Or how I hate how my body looks now because of all the loose skin. You most certainly aren't alone. But it sucks to have come this far only to feel this way. :/
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who still feels the same. Ask me to describe myself, and I will still say 'short and fat' as I have done for many many years. This of course, gets claims of 'no you're not!' But I don't believe them, regardless of what the tag in my jeans says. :ohwell:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You all look great, let's start a movement to tell mirrors that they are wrong!
  • BaconWagon
    BaconWagon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get you. Losing weight on one thing but it does bring all the other issues to the surface. It did for me anyway.

I personally wouldn't say so but i couldn't agree more with what she said ^
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Yes I feel like that every second.I feel like that girl in the LIFETIME movie THE PERFECT BODY no matter how define my body becomes I will always feel fat.I guess cause I was teased in school and it still hasn't wore off even though I'm 25.
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Moya, I just checked out your before and after pics, and I can't believe they are of the same person!! You had a sweet look before, but now you have added powerful, too. You have worked very hard and deserve so much credit. Don't listen to the ugly voice in your head that says otherwise! It's lying to you :)
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well i feel fatter believe it or not but it doesnt upset me because I know its not true but idk i feel it!
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    I have days like that. But for the most part, I feel much better. And it's the little things. And I've made a conscious effort to recognize those little NSV's. For example, it was a big deal to me the first time I went to a public restroom and I fit in the stall with no issues or feeling squished when I had been to that same bathroom before and felt like it was this teeny tiny box. Squeezing between things that before, I just couldn't. Realizing that I shop in the 'normal' section and not plus sized. But in doing those, I realized I had to take a bit more time for myself. I'm a girl, so obviously this would be a bit different, but I've taken the time to buy a new wardrobe. I didn't just go and grab anything -- I'm buying slowly things that I LOVE and not just because they fit. I got new shoes that before wouldn't fit my *ahem* chubby feet. I've changed my hair and I even bought new perfume. I've decided that it's time that I get some new workout gear and I don't want just some random shorts and T, I want some great fitting workout pants. I'm taking time for ME. I'm having downtime and just making ME a priority again. Appreciating ME and what my body has done and realizing that not one single person on this EARTH is perfect and that I'm darn good just as I am. I think in the end that's what it is all about. Learning not just to lose weight, but to REALLY care about yourself and stop only thinking of yourself as a number but as a whole. I rarely have times where I think I'm ugly anymore. I have them and have bad days -- we all do. But overall, I feel like I have something to be proud of and admire and to honor. And I hope that by doing that, I do more good things and spread it out in the world. Whimsical and mushy, I know. But.... still true. When you're happy, you spread happy. :smile:

ETA: I'm not at goal on here, but I lost 50lbs. before ever joining MFP.

Wow, what a great post! :smile:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Still feel somedays like I am 115kg... I still automatically shop for my old sizes then realize I'm not them anymore. I don't really feel ugly though, just still the same.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I have heard it takes awhile (up to a year) for your brain to catch up to your body changes. I never saw myself as obese.........so what I see now is depressing since everything that was filled out with fat is now just flabby. I lost my butt and boobs.......have bat wings for arms and a deflated balloon for a belly. I like how I feel. I like that I'm Ina. Size I haven't worn since I was 16 yrs old. But seeing the new body at this weight and remembering what it USED to be at this weight is downright depressing.

However- the little things still hit me, even after 72 lbs gone. Today I was sitting in the car and noticed the big tendon behind my knee. Don't remember those before! Noticed how muscular my inner thigh is, totally caught me off guard a few weeks ago. Being able to wear heels after years of pain because I was too fat. Those small things make the bigger, harder things seem a little less big.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't see "the old me" but I do see the me getting older:)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think this is why it's important for you to love yourself for who you are before you reach your goal weight. This does not happen automatically because you hit a specific weight or body fat percentage or clothing size.

Accepting yourself for who you are doesn't mean being satisfied with how you are if your body's in an unhealthy state. However rather than trying to lose fat out of self-loathing and self-disgust, you're trying to lose it out of kindness to yourself because you love yourself and know you deserve to be fit and healthy.

it's not too late to learn to love and accept yourself, but it's totally normal for someone who does not accept themselves for who they are, to still feel the same way about themselves when they hit their goal weight/bf%/size.
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    It goes to show that the problems in here *taps head* are harder to overcome.
  • princegamiz
    Options
    Yea there are some days (I call fat days) when I feel very heavy but I try to remind myself that I look fabulous. Remind yourself everyday that you are not as heavy and hard work pays off and your looking damn good.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from this my whole life. Even when I can recognize my weight loss, even if I think my body looks good, I still find something about myself to hate. It's all in my head. I started what I call "Walmart Therapy" (it's really mean but stick with me here). I go to Walmart and look at all of the people and their spouses. I routinely see obese, ugly, mean, dirty, etc. people with fairly attractive spouses. It tells me that a) there are 7billion people in this world and you will find someone no matter what, and b) even if you are flawed it's okay to be yourself and own it.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yes, some days more so than others!!