Anybody still feel ugly after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yep, because losing weight doesn't automatically make me pretty/beautiful/sexy/etc.. The only way to change my ugliness is with surgery.

This. People are talking about two different things here. Some of you are saying you still feel fat. That is NOT the same as ugly (although society tries to make the 2 synonyms).

I don't feel fat. I could definitely still do with losing a few kgs but I'm not unhappy with my body right now (and I'm well within the healthy weight for my height) BUT that doesn't mean that I feel good looking. Ugly is a harsh word, I don't want to say that I'm ugly but I'm definitely not good looking and that's not about to change no matter how many more kgs I lose or how much I tone up.

One of those things that drives me crazy is people who are all "woe is me" because people tell them things like "you'd be so pretty if only you lost weight". Now I realise that's not a sensitive thing to say but what they're ignoring is that there's a whole lot of us who no one has ever said that to because we're never going to be good looking regardless of our weight.

This is not a request for sympathy. It's just a fact of life. There's loads of stuff I like about myself - I'm smart for one thing (and I wouldn't trade my brains for looks) - I'm just realistic about the fact that I'm not good looking. No one ever has (or is ever likely to) want to date me on first seeing me. No one ever has (or is ever likely to) ask me for my number because they spot me across a room.

So I guess yes, I do still feel ugly (although I still don't like that word) after losing weight, but you know what, that's because I am ugly. I still feel short too - you know why? Because I am short. Luckily I'm a short, ugly, awesome person so it all turns out ok in the end!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I've also found that when I was bigger I never REALLY LOOKED at myself in the mirror. I NEVER looked at myself naked and wore the same outfits over and over again because I knew I could put them on and didn't have to worry about my stomach sticking out or something.
    Now I'm inspecting every little bump of fat and area of skin hoping that today is the day that it's starting to shrink and go away. That tends to make me feel gross because in my head I've already got my goal body in mind.

I also used to think that "once I'm smaller I won't have any problems finding a man", which is just laughable in itself. :flowerforyou:

*sigh*
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes times a thousand. Intellectually, I know I look better. I'm down from a 28 to a 20, sometimes even an 18. My chins have all but gone. I feel great. I've gone from 277 to 199. At 5'10, 199 is pretty good. I've still got some way to go, but still. I've come a long way.

I still feel like I look hideous. And that I'm ugly. I probably always will.

Part of that is from being fat and gross for that last fifteen years or so, and part of that is a complex given to me by long since disowned (for other reasons) family members who went out of their way to tell me how ugly and stupid I was every day of my life growing up (today's vocabulary word: Complex. As in: I have a little bit of a complex when it comes to my appearance).

I think some people are just over-critical of themselves, whether it's because we were always treated that way or not.

I'm getting better, and I've found that dressing well makes a huge difference, not to mention darkening my ginger hair (yet another childhood complex rearing its ugly head, but I've always thought I look better with darker hair, and I certainly get a lot more compliments).

Losing weight is a mental and emotional journey, in more ways than one, and the realization of, "Wait. I'm not hideous at all!" is something we will all eventually have to learn. I'm still trying, every day.

So no, it's not just you. :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I think this is why it's important for you to love yourself for who you are before you reach your goal weight. This does not happen automatically because you hit a specific weight or body fat percentage or clothing size.

Accepting yourself for who you are doesn't mean being satisfied with how you are if your body's in an unhealthy state. However rather than trying to lose fat out of self-loathing and self-disgust, you're trying to lose it out of kindness to yourself because you love yourself and know you deserve to be fit and healthy.

it's not too late to learn to love and accept yourself, but it's totally normal for someone who does not accept themselves for who they are, to still feel the same way about themselves when they hit their goal weight/bf%/size.

Bravo
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, it goes for people in the other direction as well......it does for me anyways....
    I came out of HS ~135 lbs, and 6'0"......

So as others have mentioned, I guess we (myself included) need to be thankful of who we are and where we are first......
    Then take care of the cosmetic stuff second......

Just keep your goals in mind, and keep pushing ahead. :drinker:
    Be happy with where you have come from and where you are......it could always be far worse.

A physique like that, you should be delighted! *jealous*

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of where I am, and what I am able to do.....
    But as you pointed out in the first post......you still feel ugly or unattractive.....
    So I still feel that way as well.....I still see myself as I was back in my younger years.
    So for me, I am trying to accept where I am and be thankful for that....

I would love to have a physique like Gregg Plitt, or Jeff Seid.......but that I doubt will ever happen.....just not my body type I guess....

Well you've outlived Zyzz!

I don't think that there's a man alive who wouldn't want a physique like Jeff Seid.

To everybody who has replied - I'm truly overwhelmed by how many of us share the same insecurities.

So......instead of letting it beat us, what are we going to do about it, considering that we've all put a LOT of hard work into improving ourselves?
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Very common feeling. At my lowest weight, I was 200 pounds less than my all time high. I had loose skin everywhere. The sad irony I felt.... At my highest I would never have worn sleeveless shirts
    and at my lowest I couldn't because of the loose skin. I could see peoples eyes gi straight to my upper arms where I really had a tonof loose skin. I worked so hard to go from a size 32 to a 6 and I still felt self conscious.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mordsith
    mordsith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes. Actually it might be even worse now. When I was obese, I knew I was fat but I didn’t “feel” fat. I knew I was ugly but it was easy to forget. I had no mirrors and avoided them like the plague. Rejection? It hurt, but who cared, it was to be expected anyway. The most important thing was that I could still take solace from the idea that everything would get better if I just lost the damn weight. I’d have friends, a girlfriend, a life… Now even that was taken away.

I didn’t just lose 130 pounds. I lost any spark of hope I ever had during the process. Besides the number on the scale or the size of my jeans, nothing changed. I’m smaller, tighter but so so so much angrier. I suppose that’s what you get when you have the confirmation that your weight wasn’t the problem, it is obviously you. I just feel like whatever the amount of willpower or efforts I put in anything, I’m never good enough.

These days I’m almost obsessed by my appearance and can’t cross anything with a reflection without checking me out. I honestly can’t say that I see my old self in the mirror, my body is clearly different. But unfortunately just a different kind of ugly: loose skin, weird shape… and it adds to the bitterness when you can feel all the strength and power behind this.

Would I have gone through all the struggle if I had known from the start? Definitely no. And the saddest part: the only reason I’ll never allow myself to gain the weight back is just not to give “people” that satisfaction. I’m not even doing this for me anymore.

To end this on a brighter note, there is one thing I don’t regret from this journey: working out. I love it, best time of the day. I wish I had known sooner how satisfying and exhilarating it is.
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wasn't "ugly" to begin with so I feel better now that I am HEALTHIER. Make your health your goal. Beauty fades.
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Everyone should watch this clip. My husband told me about it the other night and it's exactly what you are talking about. Our own inner dialog does more damage to our well being than anything else.

http://hellogiggles.com/sketches-show-how-we-see-ourselves-vs-how-strangers-do

I too have had these issues. Once a friend of mine was giving my teenage girls some clothes. She came across a dressy top and said, Oh, this will fit you. I emphatically told her it wouldn't. Her teenager chimes in, I don't think you really realize how small you are now, just go try it on...... Ever since then I have made the conscious effort to keep my mind open to anything. And it's taken me the better part of a year to change my inner dialog.

My point is when we start hearing the little voices in our heads saying negative things, we need to turn and ***** slap it until it stops sayin' that crap!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The thread title says it all. All that work trying to get in shape and your life is still a tale of brutal rejection and wondering what is wrong with you?

Am I the only one who can only see the 'old' me in the mirror?

I've read this happens when people tend to think their entire life is going to change because they've lost weight. Wherever you go there you are, weight loss or no weight loss.

Now that you know you CAN change things about yourself, work on changing other areas that may not be working out for you. Our lives are largely the result of attitude and outlook.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think it takes our mind a lot longer to catch up with our body. I totally understand where many of you are coming from. When people call me skinny mini now I somehow think they are mocking me as I don't see myself in this way. However, I did look through some old pictures of myself last night and was able to see a vast difference. It is heart breaking to know that I allowed myself to go around so long, so large....thank God I saw the light and was able to change. I think in time we will all see ourselves as we truly are now. Congrats to all.

*BUTTTTT, I don't feel ugly (before or now).

:-)
  • Jaejoongies
    Jaejoongies Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel uglier. While I do consider my weight loss a good thing as it helped me getting more confident about wearing skin-tight clothes I still feel unattractive "overall". I thought getting slimmer would make me prettier (or just pretty period) but seeing how many people had hit on me since I lost weight (yep, nooooone !) it made me realize the problem is either a) my face b) my persona. Or it could be both but that'd be way too pitiful and sad lmao.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    The thread title says it all. All that work trying to get in shape and your life is still a tale of brutal rejection and wondering what is wrong with you?

Am I the only one who can only see the 'old' me in the mirror?

I've read this happens when people tend to think their entire life is going to change because they've lost weight. Wherever you go there you are, weight loss or no weight loss.

Now that you know you CAN change things about yourself, work on changing other areas that may not be working out for you. Our lives are largely the result of attitude and outlook.

Indeed - easier said than done, though.

That Dove video - wow.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

Indeed - easier said than done, though.

That Dove video - wow.

I KNOW! I've seen that before but it makes me cry every time.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I think I would have felt that way if it weren't for weight training.....what is your choice for exercise?
    Weight training helps avoid a "dieted" look, IMO, makes you look younger.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You all look great, let's start a movement to tell mirrors that they are wrong!

Agreed! When I look in the mirror, I see the same person I was in January of this year - over 40lbs heavier. However, when I see a pic (like my MFP current photo) I cannot believe its me. Seriously, the photo looks photoshopped to make me thinner but it's not. I am getting better about how I view myself but it's taking some time. I think I am moving in the right direction though!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think I just have to accept I have a perception problem.
    When I was slim I always thought I was fat, I spent about ten years on some diet or other trying to lose another 7lb when I only weighed 125lb. Then, when I started to put on weight about 15 years ago I didn't notice.......how could I not notice? I got to about 200lb and officially obese before I finally stepped onto the scales. Now I'm back down to a "normal" BMI at around 153lb and I feel that I look just the same as when I weighed heavy.
    I give up. I just can't trust my own judgement on this and I will just go by the scales and hope my self image catches up at some point.
    When I get to my target weight I'm going to go shopping and buy lots of fitted, slim outfits - maybe that'll help.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, needed this one today.