I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    You know how they plaster the nutritional info all over their shops? That is for you to read.

Everyone wants to be spoon fed "healthy" food.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like saying all salads are supposed to be good for you, but dumping high-fat dressing, croutons, bacon, etc on it kind of kills that point. Just educate yourself on what's available and make the best choice available:) Opt for wheat instead of white bread, veggies for bacon, and so on. You got this!

Not to start anything here, but it's not necessary to go for wheat bread over white. At least not at SW. Their lowest calorie option bread is in fact white Italian. And if you like bacon, there is no reason to give it up since it is only 45 cals for 2 slices of theirs (which I would assume is thin). She could have had the Italian white bread (200), double bacon (90), cheddar cheese(60), veg, AND light mayo(100) (basically a big ol' BLT) and still could be where a meal would need to be at 450-500 cals. (And you could always modify it even more, but it's still lower than that pastrami combo). So... while I agree options are key, it's the lighter option combo that you need, and some of the 'traditional' ideals of 'healthy' are not always the lightest options.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...late...

...for Subway shaming.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have always found pastrami to be the most erotic of the salted cured meats.
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?

:eye roll:

I'm vegan, so the answer would be no :-)

Your conviction is strong. I would likely eat a human to survive.

A human yes, but would you eat a vegan?

I wonder what a vegan would taste like compared to an omnivore...

You macho fellas, you know you eat vegan all the time! You just don't want your buddies to know.
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have always found pastrami to be the most erotic of the salted cured meats.

More erotic than Krakauer?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Delicious, fatty meats aren't going to be low in calories.

or sodium.
    :tongue: oh so true! Not sure where anyone got the idea Subway was ever healthy... it's full of sodium, processed/nitrate meats and a ton of carbs in the bread...oh yea, and the sodium, crazy high sodium!:noway:

ETA: Ohhhh I see we're now comparing eating humans with eating at Subway... I'll pass on both, too much processed food/sodium/preservatives in both!:tongue:
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My Seafood 6 inch subs are about 450 calories, it;s quite high for a snack, but with all the goodnesses it's got, its calories well spent
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI: sodium is actually a required micronutrient.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    6' Veggie Delite on wheat! Yummy and wont use up your calories :P
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Is that your meal for the day? Your diary says your calorie goal is set to 500cals.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    one word: pastrami,. next time go for turkey or ham with no cheese and tons of vegies and only vinegar or mustard for the flavoring. I like to get my meat, bun, and onions, green peppers and spinach all toasted then add some more vegies and dressing (mustard and vinegar) after it comes out. This is way better for you and a lot less calories.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the mindset people have that equate the # of calories (or lack thereof) and food. Just because something may be higher in calories does not automatically mean it isn't "good for you".

I agree 100%!!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

Ok, wow! First:
    Number of calories and "good for you" are meaningless.

All sammiches are "good for you".

Second: why are you eating only 800ish calories per day? That doesn't sound healthy at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Pastrami is not the healthiest meat on their menu.

Define "healthy." You seem to have a skewed definition.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    And enough with the suggestions of turkey!!!!! OMFG!

panda-rage-o.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I work for Subway, Subway has a health fitness menu, the pastrami melt is not on that, pastrami is purely fat. I have people come in who'll order a 12 inch on Italian hers and cheese bread with double meat and double cheese and then laugh and say "It's subway, can't be that bad!" WRONG Subway is healthier then most other fast food restaurants but they aren't clean and they aren't all good sandwiches.

BINGO!!!!

WRONG!!!!!

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-beef-cured-pastrami-i13355
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and this is why I just eat at WaWa
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Is that your meal for the day? Your diary says your calorie goal is set to 500cals.

Wow - You're right. That's nuts.