• leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    God I hope so.
    Why?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's not, however, the appreciation of chivalry is dying a horrible death.

So much this
    Interesting. Are you saying that females don't recognize and appreciate chivalry as often as they should?

Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.
  • Sabby888
    Sabby888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I sure hope not
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.
    Wow. So are you saying you get some serious resistance when you insist on being chivalrous?
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't do it because society does or once said I should, but rather because I want to be nice.

So, no, chivalry is not dead, not from me, although I do feel beaten into submission.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's not normal to hold a door for another person if they have a penis.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Well I certainly hope not. It's not dead yet. Even at my gym, men are very gracious towards women. Not a sign that we are weaker. It's a sign that they hold us in high regard. I like that. :smile:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid so.

ed-stark-beheaded.game_.of_.thrones.gif
  • leftyjace
    Options
    Well I certainly hope not. It's not dead yet. Even at my gym, men are very gracious towards women. Not a sign that we are weaker. It's a sign that they hold us in high regard. I like that. :smile:
    And that, I think is the key.
    It's a respect thing. Not an "equality" thing.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.

Nicely put.

I open the car door for my wife, pull out her chair in restaurants, drive the car to the store door to drop her off in the rain then get wet myself after parking, etc. I consider this chivalry.

I do not assume that all the housework, cooking and child rearing needs to be done by my wife. I treat her job and career aspirations as being of equal importance as mine. I respect her political and religious views as being separate from mine, and equally valid. I consider this equality.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's not normal to hold a door for another person if they have a penis.

I hold doors for anybody. Man, woman, child, construction worker, cop, gang bangers. Everyone except the stupid cat. I've learned if I he stands at the door looking like he wants out, and I hold the door for him, he'll sit down at the threshold and look out. Screw him.
  • ultraconvoy
    Options
    Is not dead till I died!!! :)
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options

I can do pretty much everything myself, am extremely independent, very successful in my career and life, but I love and appreciate chivalry beyond belief. I serve my family, people who work for me, people I work for, etc. To serve others or to even be chivalrous is a lost art and lost love for people.

Men, please do not stop!
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    no, no, no…. chivalry is not a man being helpful or trying not to bump into a woman…. that is just very basic manners…which are soon to go NEXT…chivalry is far more than just that...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It died shortly after the invention of gun powder.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

Nicely put!

Agreed... and I do not believe it is dead.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

I like you.

QFT, well said!

Also, I don't think chivalry is dead; but I do think a lot of people lack respect and manners.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You poor saps. Chivalry was invented by priests to prevent knights from murdering each other when not at war.

It is a myth, mostly.

The_more_you_know.gif
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are we speaking about chivalry only as it relates to behavior toward women, or the full definition of the word?