Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.
    Equality is one thing and Chivalry is another.

I love statements that demonstrate a certain ignorance of the subject matter. The chivalric code was based on an assumption of inequality. It was honorable for a man of a certain position to protect and serve the weak. Once you have equality, what is being discussed is mere courtesy among equals.

Based on the Merriam Webster definition of the world "chivalry", I find it ironic that you are accusing the dictionary of being ignorant of the subject matter.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.

I love statements that demonstrate a certain ignorance of the subject matter. The chivalric code was based on an assumption of inequality. It was honorable for a man of a certain position to protect and serve the weak. Once you have equality, what is being discussed is mere courtesy among equals.

Based on the Merriam Webster definition of the world "chivalry", I find it ironic that you are accusing the dictionary of being ignorant of the subject matter.

"The system of values (such as loyalty and honor) that knights in the Middle Ages were expected to follow"

So sayeth Webster's.

Also go look up ironic while you're in there.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Here let me communicate in a way you may understand, lol wut?
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I am courteous to equals, superiors, and subordinates. If the cat would do me the respect of going through the door he wanted open even once, I'd be courteous to him as well. He also bites me when I pet him, so what does that tell you?
  • leftyjace
    Options

Dude... your 'roid rage is showing.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Dude... your 'roid rage is showing.

Impressive . . .
  • BeachIron
    Options

"The system of values (such as loyalty and honor) that knights in the Middle Ages were expected to follow"

So sayeth Webster's.

Bingo
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    donquixote1.jpg?w=500

Verily brave Sancho, I fear this common courtesy extended to all equally! Oh how it wounds my sense of self worth!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.
    Wow. So are you saying you get some serious resistance when you insist on being chivalrous?

No I'm speaking from the experiences I've had talking to several women who were just friends on this topic
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice when guys offer to hold the door, pull out a chair, etc. It's nice, respectful, and appreciated, though not demanded. However, not a fan of guys thinking I need to be taken care of.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The more sandwiches and sweaters she makes, the more chivalrous I am.

stiro_noirisparmiamo-300x216.jpg

He got me a wash cloth after then called me a cab. But I paid the fare.
  • leftyjace
    Options

So sayeth Webster's.

Bingo

Both of you "gentlemen" need to look earlier in the topic where the M-W definition was already quoted... and included the 2nd possible definition, which you conveniently left out.

And ironic is exactly what I meant, seeing as how you both strive to give off an image of intelligence, yet will conveniently ignore a very valid definition of the word... which is decidedly less than honorable (maybe even chivalrous?) behavior.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I will continue to practice it. If it is appreciated fine, if not fine. It's their problem and not mine.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's not, however, the appreciation of chivalry is dying a horrible death.

So much this
    Interesting. Are you saying that females don't recognize and appreciate chivalry as often as they should?

Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.
    [/quote

I am a female and I approve this message!
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.

Nicely said!
  • BePawsitive
    BePawsitive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I truly hope not... This is what separates the boys from the men.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    They are distinct, but they sometimes come in conflict. Opening doors, for instance, is a nice gesture. It doesn't presuppose any inequality.

Picking up the tab does. If my date and I are both professionals with equal opportunities for earning, it makes no sense for us not to go dutch unless you suppose some inequality between us.

To answer this thread, chivalry isn't dead but it has had to evolve to coexist with gender equality and will continue to do so. End of story.

P.S.
    The "Knight's Code" people are referring to is the product of the "Peace and Truce of God" movement in Medieval Catholic thought and was a direct result of severe inequality. Modern notions of chivalry are an offshoot of it, although there are many others.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.
    I like you.
    I like you too.
  • leftyjace
    Options
    They are distinct, but they sometimes come in conflict. Opening doors, for instance, is a nice gesture. It doesn't presuppose any inequality.

Picking up the tab does. If my date and I are both professionals with equal opportunities for earning, it makes no sense for us not to go dutch unless you suppose some inequality between us.

And what about doing something nice for a woman you're courting?

I don't agree with you here.

Maybe I was raised "wrong", but it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable for a woman to pay for anything in my presence. (Within reason, mind.)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

And what about doing something nice for a woman you're courting?

I don't agree with you here.

Maybe I was raised "wrong", but it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable for a woman to pay for anything in my presence. (Within reason, mind.)

Why? Would you owe her some bow chica wow wow later?