Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's not, however, the appreciation of chivalry is dying a horrible death.

So much this
    Interesting. Are you saying that females don't recognize and appreciate chivalry as often as they should?

Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.

@leftyjace This ^^^^
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Chivalry is dead because alot of females have become "I can do it myself". Everything from opening doors for a woman, to footing the bill. Women have become more independent over the years and to an extent arrogant, conceited and just as egotistical as most men. Don't blame the guys, blame the other women out there who have confused them into thinking "chivalry" is wrong.

I think there's a big difference between a man doing something for a woman because he considers her incapable, and a man doing something for a woman because he respects and appreciates her.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Chivalry isn't just whether men open doors for ladies or not, it's how they treat everyone. I don't think it's just a male thing, ether.

The other day I saw a older woman fall in a crosswalk and three teenage boys absolutely sprinted to her aid, helped her up, brushed her off and made sure she made it to the other side. Last year I was driving through a neighborhood for work and a woman was walking arm-in-arm with an elderly lady. She flagged me down and asked if I knew the lady and I didn't - but it turns out that the old lady couldn't remember where she lived and the younger woman was trying to help her. I offered to call the police and she said no, they were going to try it this way for a while before calling the authorities. There are still nice people out there.

So I don't think it's dead. Maybe a bit under the weather.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    It will not be as long as i am alive. I can respect you as an equal and choose to treat you like a princess. I am not tryong to show youare a weaker sex but i choose to respect you and hold you in a high regard.

When chivalry dies mankind becomes uncaring of its fellow paerson. You might as well be prejudice.....

Just my humble opinion....
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    From m-w.com:
    chiv·al·ry noun \ˈshi-vəl-rē\
    : the system of values (such as loyalty and honor) that knights in the Middle Ages were expected to follow

: an honorable and polite way of behaving especially toward women

I think in the modern context, the second definition is more applicable.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    "an honorable and polite way of behaving, especially toward women." If this is what you mean, then no, it isn't dead. Most of the men I know are absolutely both honorable and polite. It isn't about opening a door or picking up the check, it's about your overall attitude and behavior towards your fellow man. While there are some truly rotten people out there, I think most people are still basically decent human beings, unless they are anonymous and posting comments on the internet, then, not so much.
  • The_Fat_Friend
    The_Fat_Friend Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope not! I for one truly appreciate the giving and receiving of chivalrous acts.

But just in case, I'm learning Chivalry CPR

don-t-die-on-me-snake-o.gif
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.
  • EllenKay63
    Options
    If there was a LIKE button I would use it
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what is being said in here, with this caveat:

I think self-awareness has drastically reduced in today's society.
    Think about it. How many people are completely clueless as to their physical location compared to others? Or whether they are being loud or obnoxious and affecting those around them? Or don't care if they're an obstacle to those trying to move around them? Or simply don't care the affect they have on people?

I consider this lack of self-awareness to be the exact opposite of chivalrous behavior.

So yes, I think it may be dying to a certain degree.
  • SkinnyMixed
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.
    I like you.
    +1
  • EllenKay63
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.
    Equality is one thing and Chivalry is another.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I think the days of men having to do everything for women are (mostly) over. But I still get doors held open for me etc by both men and women, and I do for others, that kind of thing is just basic manners.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between a man doing something for a woman because he considers her incapable, and a man doing something for a woman because he respects and appreciates her.

I appreciate the respect :flowerforyou:
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    Chivalry=Men hold women on a pedestal
    Manners=Men open doors, greeting politely, pulling chairs, etc

Chivalry and manners are not the same. Here in America these two concepts are thought to be the same. A sign that one of them is certainly dead.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I am respectful of others regardless of their groinal configuration. I don't tend to treat anyone differently, unless I want to have sex with them, in which case I'm very accommodating indeed.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The Knight's Code of Chivalry was a moral system that stated all knights should protect others who can not protect themselves, such as widows, children, and elders.

If you still believe that widows cannot protect themselves then you continue to perpetuate a chauvinistic attitude by today's standards.

I say replace chivalry with a Code of Common Decency, which can be extended to man, woman, or child by anyone, male or female.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what is being said in here, with this caveat:

I think self-awareness has drastically reduced in today's society.
    Think about it. How many people are completely clueless as to their physical location compared to others? Or whether they are being loud or obnoxious and affecting those around them? Or don't care if they're an obstacle to those trying to move around them? Or simply don't care the affect they have on people?

I consider this lack of self-awareness to be the exact opposite of chivalrous behavior.

So yes, I think it may be dying to a certain degree.

Interesting.
    Yes, manners in general are definitely on the wane.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Can't have chivalry and equality at the same time, so yes it's dead or at the least almost dead.
    Equality is one thing and Chivalry is another.

I love statements that demonstrate a certain ignorance of the subject matter. The chivalric code was based on an assumption of inequality. It was honorable for a man of a certain position to protect and serve the weak. Once you have equality, what is being discussed is mere courtesy among equals.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Chivalry=Men hold women in a pedestal
    Manners=Men open doors, greeting politely, pulling chairs, etc

Chivalry and manners are not the same. Here in America these two concepts are thought to be the same. A sign that one of them is certainly dead.
    THIS.

Don't try to be "chivalrous." Try being a decent human being to other human beings, regardless of who they are.