Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This topic is strongly worded on purpose - partly for fun, and also because I'm tired of having to run interference with food pushers.

My kids are allowed sweets and treats in moderation - but the next person to sneak one of my kids a cookie behind my back may be force fed a full length video of my five year old crying after he gets his backside handed to him at his next wrestling tournament.

This answer is strongly worded on purpose - nothing fun in mind. If your 5 year old is crying when getting defeated in a wrestling tournament - there are more serious issues to be worried about than cookies.

I couldn't agree more. Definately issues here, not food related.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This topic is strongly worded on purpose - partly for fun, and also because I'm tired of having to run interference with food pushers.

My kids are allowed sweets and treats in moderation - but the next person to sneak one of my kids a cookie behind my back may be force fed a full length video of my five year old crying after he gets his backside handed to him at his next wrestling tournament.

You may want to learn the Serenity Prayer. Control is a terrible thing to think you have...
    And to be honest, it may not be too early for your five year old to start learning about winning and losing. Even though I have no earthly idea of why a cookie results in getting one's backside handed to them. And please, don't explain.

I was going to add though, on a cheerier note, I was eating at a resto on Saturday and the waitperson kindly mouthed the question of soda refills to me. While I do allow one refill (even on the huge monster glasses), it was nice to be asked. It usually happens before I know it (sneaky little devil - and yes, it isn't too late for my little one to learn he only gets one refill and one only).
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Because eating a cookie will make him lose the tournament?

One cookie? No. Too many cookies? Yes, especially if he misses a weight cut off and has to wrestle up a class.

I'm sorry... I just can't.

Isn't he kind of young for that kind of pressure?
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

This answer is strongly worded on purpose - nothing fun in mind. If your 5 year old is crying when getting defeated in a wrestling tournament - there are more serious issues to be worried about than cookies.

Have you ever been to grade school wrestling tournaments? Unfortunately, there's a lot of crying . . .
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

One cookie? No. Too many cookies? Yes, especially if he misses a weight cut off and has to wrestle up a class.

Are you managing your child's weight for competitive purposes as a 5 year old?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Not what I thought this was going to be about. So I should tell Grandma to stop allowing my son to have ice cream? Yeah, that'll happen. Grandparents house is where all the treats happen, it is the privilege of being a grandparent. I plan on doing the same when it is my turn (unless there is a MEDICAL reason why I should not). I agree with whoever said you sound fun. :noway:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You said 'sneaks a cookie.' As in ONE.

Worrying about cut-off weights for a 5 year old? Speechless.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This was not what I expected after reading that title.

My only concern with sweets for my kids is when they are very sugary (and stick to the teeth), I do need to make sure they brush their teeth to prevent cavities. But, they are going to floss and brush anyway, so it's not that big of an issue. They are going to eat stuff when I'm not around, that's just normal. So, they brush their teeth in the morning, come home/have a snack/brush teeth, and floss and brush before bed.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

yeah, me too. mind officially blown.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Just when you think it couldn't be worse. The use of "force fed" was enough. There was a reason I didn't want an explanation...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Hmmmm - I officially apologize to everyone! I am now in the category of misunderstanding what was written based SOLELY on this comment!

I do however stand behind my comments, especially about the one of Asking the Parents First before giving the child a treat. You just never know what is truly happening with the child or in the home and it is common courtesy and common sense to just ask first. You may save a child's life in the process (read my other comments about severe or potentially life threatening allergies, medication, etc).
    I have a friend who I have seen once in the last eight years and I know about her son's peanut allergy. People talk about these things and they make those around them aware when there is a danger in giving the child the wrong food.

The peanut butter cup kid? They were going to find out one way or another eventually, right? Even the parents didn't know, so why do you think they would have said no?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

then why would you care if their grandparents gave them sweets at Christmas time?

So eating one cookie is going to make your son lose his next wrestling match?

Troll alert!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    We never allow our dogs people food, it is not good for them
    True. A piece of steak is TERRIBLE for a dog. I mean, why would you feed a dog meat? It's not as though that's what they're built to eat or anything.

That doesn't make sense, dogs are carnivores!
    But it's people food. People food is bad for dogs. They must only eat dog food.

How is it people food? cows aren't only for humans!
    People eat steak. Therefore, it is people food and not for dogs. It will KILL them! KILL THEM!

I have no idea how long this continues but please have mercy
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    If OP's not a troll...
    does anyone else think that the title becomes EVEN MORE IRONIC given the wrestling class statement? :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options

yeah, me too. mind officially blown.

would hate to see what happens to the kid if he eats - god forbid - ice cream before a match...
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% that people need to stop feeding my 18 month old child crap all day long without my knowledge -- I'd rather they say, "I fed XXXX six cookies! He loves them!" At least then I know why he might not feel well later, and I don't freak out.

When people sneak behind a parent's back it makes it look like they know it is something they shouldn't be doing -- if i is something you think you shouldn't be doing -- don't do it. Simple.

As far as my child needing "to make weight" EVER... I don't think so. At 5 years old my child needs to be running and playing and eating veggies when I can force them in.... not "making weight." You set yourself up for the hate on that OP.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If OP's not a troll...
    does anyone else think that the title becomes EVEN MORE IRONIC given the wrestling class statement? :laugh:

I did not know they had competitive wrestling for five year olds....???
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I'm sorry... I just can't.

Isn't he kind of young for that kind of pressure?

No joke!

I no longer feel sorry for the kid because of the sugar restrictions, the weight thing is just wrong. Sad that a 5 year old has to be a certain weight, even for wrestling.
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding me!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Are you managing your child's weight for competitive purposes as a 5 year old?
    I thought that only happened in Dystopian Sci-Fi novels.