Single Moms, not worth dating? Do tell...

Options
LankyYankee
LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
Been seeing a lot of these kinds of comments in the forums lately. Frankly as a single mom with her *kitten* together I find this offensive as hell...

No worth having a relationship with a single mom because:

a) She's clearly just looking for a meal ticket?
b) just wants a new daddy for the kids
c) The kids are a pain
d) She will have too much drama and not enough time for you?

Have seen comments along those lines... Is this seriously the prevailing school of thought? Genuinely interested to hear your responses.

ETA: Not speaking of myself specifically, obviously not looking to date anyone who had those feelings... Just interested to know the reasoning behind it for those that hold that opinion

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    *shrug* I never had trouble dating and I have kids. I eventually settled down with someone who loves my kids like his own. :smile:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have the highest level of respect for single moms. I have dated them before and they are some of the best peoples that I know of. I don't know how they do it at times. So my hat goes off to all of you single moms.... and dads for that matter as well.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    While that's true of some women, it wasn't of me. I was single because I chose to be and didn't get child support. I worked and supported him myself. He didn't need a daddy, he had me. My father and Bro in law were the male role models for him. He's not a pain nor has he ever been a pain. I detest drama, hence the reason I don't have too many female friends and never have. Having said all that, when I did decide to start dating again 10 years after my divorce, it wasn't very difficult to find dates. My fiance has kids, so he understood what it was like to date with kids. The only drama we deal with is from his ex wife.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    It was definitely true of my ex wife. She just wanted someone to take care of her and her kids. But I figure there are just as many gold diggers without kids as there are gold diggers with kids.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Been seeing a lot of these kinds of comments in the forums lately. Frankly as a single mom with her *kitten* together I find this offensive as hell...

c) The kids are a pain

Have seen comments along those lines... Is this seriously the prevailing school of thought? Genuinely interested to hear your responses.
    I wouldn't even concern myself with those comments. Why do you want someone who feels that way when there are plenty of men out there who don't?

And, seriously, do you have any idea how many men this single mom dated who would "never date a single mom"? It's easy to state an absolute until you meet the exception to your rule. If a man finds you attractive enough and then you're interesting enough to talk to, he'll date you most likely, regardless or children.

And if he finds you attractive and interesting and doesn't date you because of children, you don't want him, anyway. So move on and get over it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

c) The kids are a pain

Anyone that thinks any of the above isn't someone I'd consider dating anyhow.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Worst thing is, they get extra pissed off when they find our you're already married. SMH
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My mom married a man with a child from a previous marriage. She doesn't say she regrets it, but she cautioned me to not do what she did. Dealing with the other parent is a pain, and usually it is a lot of drama.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion.... Who cares this world is filled with single parents and they date.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I personally have no problem dating single moms. It's my wife who has the issues.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My mom married a man with a child from a previous marriage. She doesn't say she regrets it, but she cautioned me to not do what she did. Dealing with the other parent is a pain, and usually it is a lot of drama.
    Not always, by any means.

I don't deal with my fiance's ex-wife; he does. And my daughter's father chose not to be in the picture, so no problems there. And many exes get along well.

Certain people seem to attract a lot of drama, regardless, and they will find it no matter what they do. Having a child does not create or assure drama.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Worst thing is, they get extra pissed off when they find our you're already married. SMH
    Hahahaha, but at least you know they put out:tongue:
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    I never had trouble dating as a single mom. I did have a couple guys tell me my kids "scared" them. So They were gone. My kids are my number 1, if you're not ok with that, then there's no reason to continue.

It's nothing to be offended about. People have opinions, especially about things they don't know
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date one, they are pretty much ruined!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Not always, by any means.

I don't deal with my fiance's ex-wife; he does. And my daughter's father chose not to be in the picture, so no problems there. And many exes get along well.

Certain people seem to attract a lot of drama, regardless, and they will find it no matter what they do. Having a child does not create or assure drama.

Of course, I should have prefaced it by saying that not every ex is full of drama. Just explaining why my mom warned me.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date anyone with kids because I don't like or want kids, plain and simple. I've had the opportunity to date both single moms and single dads and the kids are a total deal breaker. And I feel zero guilt for that.
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    Well if you don't have kids, and dont want any... why date a single mom/dad? If you dont want any, you don't want someone else's either... right?
    That's my point of view... I dont want any, so...
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Some consider single parents "damaged goods", "extra baggage"....
    But these men/women have the hardest jobs. Doing it alone at times. And I find it hypocritical when people say that one of the qualities they look for in a future spouse "good mom/dad, nurturer.......YET when they find a person who is EXACTLY that, they make those comments.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    really? I think that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of......you get first hand knowledge of what kind of parent she is or will be....and more likely than not she won't be inclined to have a bigger family because she knows what it takes raising a kid alone....plus she already has an idea of what doesn't or hasn't worked in her life.....back when I dated, it was more single moms than those without kids....just seemed to have their head on a bit straighter and no time for BS and games \m/
  • julie3227
    Options
    What I've heard from some of my male friends is that they don't take women with kids seriously because they want a family all their own. It's personal preference.