Single Moms, not worth dating? Do tell...

Replies

• who cares.....they don't want to date you because you have a kid, why in the WORLD would you want to date them?

is this like the grass is greener thing? because you can't have the person (since they don't want a single mom) you have to be all butt hurt about it?

nah....whatever....

as for single mom "reputations" every label has a reputation...a single man with no baggage and is over 30 is now labelled a momma's boy...or has something "wrong" with him...

a single woman over 30 is a career shark, someone who is too ambitious to settle down and wont' have time for you...

every label has a reputation...doesn't mean if you fit the label you fit the reputation.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    What I've heard from some of my male friends is that they don't take women with kids seriously because they want a family all their own. It's personal preference.

This is what my husband said to me when we first started dating. It was a deal-breaker for him.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Been seeing a lot of these kinds of comments in the forums lately. Frankly as a single mom with her *kitten* together I find this offensive as hell...

No worth having a relationship with a single mom because:

a) She's clearly just looking for a meal ticket?
    b) just wants a new daddy for the kids
    c) The kids are a pain
    d) She will have too much drama and not enough time for you?

Have seen comments along those lines... Is this seriously the prevailing school of thought? Genuinely interested to hear your responses.
    These responses should weed out the ones you should avoid, as they clearly are not suited to your lifestyle. Move on and focus on the good guys that will be good for you AND your kids.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Being a single parent will limit your dating pool. Best not to get all butthurt about it. No matter what you are, people will always find something negative or wrong with you. If you react by getting offended, then they have won.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I think some people may be confused.

You can be lazy, a gold digger, and/or a loser with or without children.

You can also be an awesome, responsible, hardworking person without drama...with or without children.

As for me personally, when I was dating I would not have dated a person with kids because I am very very serious about remaining childfree for life. When I met a guy with kids I automatically considered him off limits because I think being a stepparent is a very serious commitment and while it may not be the same thing as being an actual parent, it's WAY too close for me...even in a situation where the child did not live in the same household.

No, I don't hate kids. I just chose my lifestyle very carefully and with good reason. Being a parent or quasi parent is not for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Being a single parent will limit your dating pool. Best not to get all butthurt about it. No matter what you are, people will always find something negative or wrong with you. If you react by getting offended, then they have won.
    It limits it a bit, but not that much.

Seriously, like I said, people say "no single moms/dads" until they meet a single mom/dad they like.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    People want what the want. Why get so offended if that's not you?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Date a single Dad problem solved
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I had a guy tell me once that he was extremely turned on by the fact that I had never had kids and that my lady parts are still "in tact" for better sex. We don't talk anymore. :noway:
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Single dads are hot.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Date a single Dad problem solved

+1 :drinker:
  • I think some people may be confused.

You can be lazy, a gold digger, and/or a loser with or without children.

You can also be an awesome, responsible, hardworking person without drama...with or without children.

As for me personally, when I was dating I would not have dated a person with kids because I am very very serious about remaining childfree for life. When I met a guy with kids I automatically considered him off limits because I think being a stepparent is a very serious commitment and while it may not be the same thing as being an actual parent, it's WAY too close for me...even in a situation where the child did not live in the same household.

No, I don't hate kids. I just chose my lifestyle very carefully and with good reason. Being a parent or quasi parent is not for me.

I agree - as long as one is true to oneself, its all good.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Perhaps I should clarify... Not speaking of myself specifically, anyone who held that opinion would obviously not be a person I would be interested in seeing on any level.

I'm occasionally offended by the assumptions/comments made about single parents and was interested to know the thoughts behind them.

So for those replies, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Been seeing a lot of these kinds of comments in the forums lately. Frankly as a single mom with her *kitten* together I find this offensive as hell...

No worth having a relationship with a single mom because:

a) She's clearly just looking for a meal ticket?
    b) just wants a new daddy for the kids
    c) The kids are a pain
    d) She will have too much drama and not enough time for you?

Have seen comments along those lines... Is this seriously the prevailing school of thought? Genuinely interested to hear your responses.

Finding a single mother with her *kitten* together is the hard part. The other hard part is finding a single mother who is so by action and not just definition. I have dated quite a few "single mothers" and 80% of them treated their children as little more than an inconvenience in life, an accessory and/or a source of income. However, when a real man finds a woman who truly lives her child(ren) and has her *kitten* together, he will hold on tight.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Children are a big deal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I had a guy tell me once that he was extremely turned on by the fact that I had never had kids and that my lady parts are still "in tact" for better sex. We don't talk anymore. :noway:

Did he live in Texas?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    I only date single moms.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    As a single dad w/custody, I could never date a single mom. But my reasons revolve around how my son and I are, and I don't feel like I could give another person's kid(s) what they would need as long as my son is in my life full time. However, try telling single moms in the dating scene that, and they go batsh!t (been there, done that, been called an hypocrite/a-hole a few times until I just said it isn't worth it). It takes a special kind of person to date someone with kids, so don't take it personally.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    I only date single moms.
    In.
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Tough subject.
    I'm hesitant and guarded where kids are involved from now on.