Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone needs to be taught not to rape lol do you think someone would be raping people for years, then hear someone say "no dude rape is bad you shouldn't do that" and they'd be like "really? guess I'll stop". And this whole thought that there is a culture that promotes rape completely blows my mind. Rapists are criminals. That's it.
    So, it couldn't possibly be the case that some dudes are ignorant about what constitutes explicit, affirmative consent and would not benefit from being educated that consent is never implied, or that consent cannot be given by someone who is impaired by alcohol or drugs? OK. Carry on then.

date rape. drunk rape. drugs rape.

As I said before. If both parties are equally intoxicated, all blame falls on the man and he can be charged with rape, even if she consented while drunk. This is where things get ridiculous. And I'm in no way saying that rape or date rape or anything like that are ok, but the double standards are out of hand.
    If only there were some way we could, oh, I don't know, *teach* people that if she (or he) was drunk/drugged, she (or he) didn't give affirmative consent! If only there were some way of combating these ridiculous double standards! http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2013/03/enthusiastic-consent/

Um like I said, if both parties are intoxicated.

Say you go out to the bar, meet a girl, bring her back home. She's definitely down for sex, in fact taking your clothes off. You guys do the deed, while both of you are drunk. She can turn around the next morning and charge you for rape.

How can anyone think that is just? Are you saying that women can't comprehend anything if they've had a few drinks but men are evil masterminds? But I thought men and women were equal?
    I will say this, clearly and unequivocally, one. more. time. There should not be such a double standard as you have described. What you are describing is wrong. No I am not saying women can't comprehend anything if they've had a few drinks but men are evil masterminds. That is the double standard you have described. I most certainly do not think that.

What I *am* saying is that neither party was capable of giving informed, enthusiastic consent.

So, maybe don't do the deed when you're impaired. I know, that's a crazy radical idea. Nobody ever got their rocks off when they were stone cold sober.

Wait so no one should have sex if they've been drinking? Are you serious? Lol ok I'm out this is ridiculous.
    Drink|Drunk. Know your line.

If it works for driving a frickin' car, why is it so crazy for applying to intimate actions involving another human being's body?!
    Exactly. Don't have sex with someone who wouldn't consent to sleeping with you while s/he was sober.

You look like a teacher, so I expected you to read and comprehend what whoha was saying, but somehow you seemed to have missed it all

"As I said before. If both parties are equally intoxicated, all blame falls on the man and he can be charged with rape, even if she consented while drunk. This is where things get ridiculous. And I'm in no way saying that rape or date rape or anything like that are ok, but the double standards are out of hand. "

hes saying if both parties are drunk, not just a sober guy trying to take advantage of a drunk chick.

also I doubt you have this problem anyway
    Not a teacher any more. Whoha seems to think street harassment is funny, which I comprehended when I read all the "lol"s he was typing. If a woman consents to sex and then later accuses a man of rape, that's a terrible thing to do.

And I have no idea what you mean when you say you doubt I have this problem. I've never falsely accused someone of rape, but I have been harassed on the street, which is what this started out as.

I don't think harassment is funny. but I do think that people saying someone wanted to rape someone cuz they were "catcalling" or looked at them when they walked by is pretty damn funny.

I understand that women have a reason to be cautious, and they should be cautious. But to call someone sexist cuz they hit on you or tell people after the fact that you were almost raped because someone looked at you is completely insane.

lol
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options

If it works for driving a frickin' car, why is it so crazy for applying to intimate actions involving another human being's body?!
    Exactly. Don't have sex with someone who wouldn't consent to sleeping with you while s/he was sober.

You look like a teacher, so I expected you to read and comprehend what whoha was saying, but somehow you seemed to have missed it all

"As I said before. If both parties are equally intoxicated, all blame falls on the man and he can be charged with rape, even if she consented while drunk. This is where things get ridiculous. And I'm in no way saying that rape or date rape or anything like that are ok, but the double standards are out of hand. "

hes saying if both parties are drunk, not just a sober guy trying to take advantage of a drunk chick.

Not a teacher any more. Whoha seems to think street harassment is funny, which I comprehended when I read all the "lol"s he was typing. If a woman consents to sex and then later accuses a man of rape, that's a terrible thing to do.

And I have no idea what you mean when you say you doubt I have this problem. I've never falsely accused someone of rape, but I have been harassed on the street, which is what this started out as.
    Whatever he meant, it certainly wasn't sexist. At all. :huh:

Yeah, you're right for once. It wasn't.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    I don't think anyone needs to be taught not to rape lol do you think someone would be raping people for years, then hear someone say "no dude rape is bad you shouldn't do that" and they'd be like "really? guess I'll stop". And this whole thought that there is a culture that promotes rape completely blows my mind. Rapists are criminals. That's it.
    So, it couldn't possibly be the case that some dudes are ignorant about what constitutes explicit, affirmative consent and would not benefit from being educated that consent is never implied, or that consent cannot be given by someone who is impaired by alcohol or drugs? OK. Carry on then.

As I said before. If both parties are equally intoxicated, all blame falls on the man and he can be charged with rape, even if she consented while drunk. This is where things get ridiculous. And I'm in no way saying that rape or date rape or anything like that are ok, but the double standards are out of hand.
    If only there were some way we could, oh, I don't know, *teach* people that if she (or he) was drunk/drugged, she (or he) didn't give affirmative consent! If only there were some way of combating these ridiculous double standards! http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2013/03/enthusiastic-consent/

Say you go out to the bar, meet a girl, bring her back home. She's definitely down for sex, in fact taking your clothes off. You guys do the deed, while both of you are drunk. She can turn around the next morning and charge you for rape.

How can anyone think that is just? Are you saying that women can't comprehend anything if they've had a few drinks but men are evil masterminds? But I thought men and women were equal?
    I will say this, clearly and unequivocally, one. more. time. There should not be such a double standard as you have described. What you are describing is wrong. No I am not saying women can't comprehend anything if they've had a few drinks but men are evil masterminds. That is the double standard you have described. I most certainly do not think that.

What I *am* saying is that neither party was capable of giving informed, enthusiastic consent.

So, maybe don't do the deed when you're impaired. I know, that's a crazy radical idea. Nobody ever got their rocks off when they were stone cold sober.

Wait so no one should have sex if they've been drinking? Are you serious? Lol ok I'm out this is ridiculous.

I don't think harassment is funny. but I do think that people saying someone wanted to rape someone cuz they were "catcalling" or looked at them when they walked by is pretty damn funny.

I understand that women have a reason to be cautious, and they should be cautious. But to call someone sexist cuz they hit on you or tell people after the fact that you were almost raped because someone looked at you is completely insane.

lol

Why shouldnt men be cautious?
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options

lol
    Catcalling is not the same thing as hitting on someone.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

lol
    I think you're reading a lot of stuff in that wasn't there. Nobody said the catcallers wanted to rape someone or that the OP was almost raped. All we're saying is that that is an attitude, behavior, or condition that perpetuates stereotypes based on gender. If the OP had been male, that would not have happened. (Though then there is the possibility of someone being harassed because they "appeared to be gay" or whatever).
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options

lol
    I think you're reading a lot of stuff in that wasn't there. Nobody said the catcallers wanted to rape someone or that the OP was almost raped. All we're saying is that that is an attitude, behavior, or condition that perpetuates stereotypes based on gender. If the OP had been male, that would not have happened. (Though then there is the possibility of someone being harassed because they "appeared to be gay" or whatever).

Contradictory Statement
  • WhoHa42
    Options

lol

Why shouldnt men be cautious?

I never said men shouldn't. We were talking about women. When walking late at night everyone should be cautious. I would say that a woman should be more cautious than a man, but only slightly more, because physically men are larger and more intimidating (less chance of an altercation) and in general stronger, which would help if an altercation did occur.

inb4 people are mad that I said men are larger and stronger than women
  • WhoHa42
    Options

lol

And now you're just nit picking because you have no argument.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

lol

In on of the earlier posts OP said something along the lines of "I was scared I could have been raped"

Was on page 2 or something.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

lol

How is it nitpicking to differentiate catcalling and hitting on someone, but not to differentiate what the OP was talking about and sexism?
  • wiscck
    Options

lol

Seriously? Hitting on someone is walking up to them at a bar and asking if you can buy them a drink, or something similarly non-threatening. Catcalling is yelling something at a woman and being threatening.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

lol

How is it nitpicking to differentiate catcalling and hitting on someone, but not to differentiate what the OP was talking about and sexism?

Catcalling is hitting on someone, but hitting on someone doesn't mean catcalling.

You see what I did there? There are different ways to hit on someone. Catcalling is one of them, even though it is rude.

Please go with your poverty arguments lol
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    theres a lot of quoting going on in here
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

lol

Contradictory Statement
    Not at all. One is a behavior rooted in sexism, the other in gay-bashing. Although if you want to deconstruct the anti-gay phenomenon and point out that it is really rooted in sexism too, I'm willing to entertain that discussion.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Catcalling is hitting on someone, but hitting on someone doesn't mean catcalling.

You see what I did there? There are different ways to hit on someone. Catcalling is one of them, even though it is rude.

If you think catcalling is hitting on someone, then I invite you to re-evaluate the statement about there not being a rape culture.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

If you think catcalling is hitting on someone, then I invite you to re-evaluate the statement about there not being a rape culture.

Ok so I whistle at a girl on the street or say "hey sexy what's up?"

How does that contribute to "rape culture"?

You have no argument left so when you get beat on one topic you switch to another, which you proceed to get wrecked on as well
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Honestly I think that the OP was just a little bit scared because she had a few glasses of wine and it was late at night. I'm sure that if she encountered the same thing at say, noon, she wouldn't have reacted the same. I mean all that happened was some guys catcalled and another drunk dude looked at her weird.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    lol this thread went exactly how I thought it would .... how disappointing
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    Honestly I think that the OP was just a little bit scared because she had a few glasses of wine and it was late at night. I'm sure that if she encountered the same thing at say, noon, she wouldn't have reacted the same. I mean all that happened was some guys catcalled and another drunk dude looked at her weird.

Thank you, it's been so long since I've seen a logical response lol
  • wiscck
    Options

Ok so I whistle at a girl on the street or say "hey sexy what's up?"

How does that contribute to "rape culture"?

You have no argument left so when you get beat on one topic you switch to another, which you proceed to get wrecked on as well
    Because she is not walking down the street so that you can look at her. When it's part of culture that it's okay to do that, it sends the message to both men and women that women are here primarily for men's pleasure. And that contributes to rape culture.