Holy sexism, batman!

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can understand the cat calls being annoying. The guys that catcalled didn't have the best execution. Catcalling doesn't work. Also, OP was not specific as to what the catcalls actually were. That's key information.

Also, two guys walked past her. Many times two guys have walked past me and I've felt weird. This is not a big deal.

I would not mind a night that involved some ladies in the immediate vicinity of my place leering at me, so long as they are good looking ladies.

Catcalling in the middle of the day on a busy street = annoying.
    Catcalling at night when woman is alone in a deserted place = threatening.
    Normally I don't call ppl on my friends list out, but in this case I'm gonna have to tell you to pull your head out of your butt.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Never will understand why people get offended that others find them attractive. Seriously, say thank you, and be happy that you look hot!

I would make a terrible offended feminist. Catcalling? I smile and wave ;)
    It probably depends on the catcalling. "Hey, sexy!" is not nearly as threatening as "Come over here, b*tch, I'm gonna make you suck my c*ck." Both of which have been yelled at me, by the way. The first was uncomfortable but not so scary, the second one made me legitimately afraid.

Lol I don't think the 2nd one would be considered catcalling
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    Seriously next time, do not walk with your head down, that's almost an open invitation to be leered at/catcalled. I find that pointed eye contact and confidence does wonders for eliminating that issue. If they still don't get it, a slight head shake and dirty look usually kills it. And I agree with the other posters, that's not an issue with sexism, but more offensive and unwanted attention.

Forgot to add just kick them in the groin before they have the chance to catcall you. That will show them and all other men that they better not cat call anyone cause they might get assaulted for it.

In fact, all women should just kick any guy in the groin when they see them because its possible catcalling will ensure. And its not assault, just label it cat call-prevention. That seems like the logical thing to do at this point in the thread.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

And you really think men don't get harassed? pls go

You're right. They do.

However, given the vastly different rates of sexual assaults that happen to women and men it seems like that women will be more psychologically wary or intimidated in this type of scenario surely? The playing field is not exactly level here in terms of threat level or assessing threat.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    =(Which, by the way, has me concluding OP lives in a neighborhood that should not be walked alone at night at any time 9pm 2am or midnight by man or woman or chupacabra.)

What if you are a woman walking WITH your chupacabra at 8:59?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many women who drool over hot guys, no one bats an eyelash.

This for me - so the diet coke advert was sexist? No, it was just an advert about women finding a man attractive.

Sexism is preferring a man over a woman for a job or something, or a women-only car insurance company, not shouting out because you found someone attractive - that's just reading far too much into it for me.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think one reason why the guys aren't getting it is because a lot of women have had an experience where a guy yelled at them, they ignored it, and it escalated. Even if a guy yells something as benign as "Hey, sexy" at you, when you know that if you ignore it they might start calling you worse names and get up in your face demanding why you won't talk to them, it can be scary.

It bothers me that so many men here don't see why this is a problem, but I hope at the very least you don't catcall or leer at women in public and call out friends who do it.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

You're right. They do.

However, given the vastly different rates of sexual assaults that happen to women and men it seems like that women will be more psychologically wary or intimidated in this type of scenario surely? The playing field is not exactly level here in terms of threat level or assessing threat.

They get harassed in different ways. Instead of being sexual, it's more about intimidation. I don't think anyone has real numbers on how often either group is harassed, so you can't really say it happens to on more than the other. But yeah, I understand women being more wary of it, but some women take it too far. Having a drunk guy look at you is harassment now? Please...
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    I think one reason why the guys aren't getting it is because a lot of women have had an experience where a guy yelled at them, they ignored it, and it escalated. Even if a guy yells something as benign as "Hey, sexy" at you, when you know that if you ignore it they might start calling you worse names and get up in your face demanding why you won't talk to them, it can be scary.

It bothers me that so many men here don't see why this is a problem, but I hope at the very least you don't catcall or leer at women in public and call out friends who do it.

I don't think anyone here is saying what the guys outside the building did was right. But calling it sexist is getting out of hand lol
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    BTW am I the only one in this thread who realizes that OP is in the UK and that guns are illegal there?

Okay then take a class on protecting yourself against an attacker. The WHOLE point was to make herself feel safe walking down the damn street. Catcalls don't hurt, they may be uncomfortable at times but it's just talk, but under certain circumstances it can be scary.
    And under other circumstances it can be a preview of what they plan. The possibility of the "guys" being drunk is NOT comforting since booze gives you courage you don't have otherwise and even some get really evil with the drink in them. It can also make you more paranoid and may have been her issue to begin with.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone here is saying what the guys outside the building did was right. But calling it sexist is getting out of hand lol
    Are you typing those "lol"s reflexively? Or do you really think this topic is funny?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Do I look at women in public? Of course. I find women attractive and like to look at them. Could it be considered "leering" at them? I don't think so...I'm not even sure how to leer if I were to try. However, I guess a woman might take it that way if she wanted to.

As for catcalls, I'm not that guy. If I want to talk to a woman, I talk to her like a person. I like women, I respect them and I treat them accordingly. I don't have friends who do that either because, frankly, it's stupid. And if they did do that, I would absolutely call them out.

However, I objectify the heck out of my female friends (just ask the ones on here; they'll tell you) and they do it back. It's flirting and it's fun. I understand the fear that could come with unknown attention, especially if it's nighttime and you are alone. I just don't think it's fair to the rest of us to automatically call it sexism and assume that all guys are like that. It just ain't true.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

Are you typing those "lol"s reflexively? Or do you really think this topic is funny?

I honestly think a lot of the responses in this thread are funny because of how delusional people are.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Do I look at women in public? Of course. I find women attractive and like to look at them. Could it be considered "leering" at them? I don't think so...I'm not even sure how to leer if I were to try. However, I guess a woman might take it that way if she wanted to.

As for catcalls, I'm not that guy. If I want to talk to a woman, I talk to her like a person. I like women, I respect them and I treat them accordingly. I don't have friends who do that either because, frankly, it's stupid. And if they did do that, I would absolutely call them out.

However, I objectify the heck out of my female friends (just ask the ones on here; they'll tell you) and they do it back. It's flirting and it's fun. I understand the fear that could come with unknown attention, especially if it's nighttime and you are alone. I just don't think it's fair to the rest of us to automatically call it sexism and assume that all guys are like that. It just ain't true.

*wolf whistle*

Sorry, couldn't resist
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

*wolf whistle*

Sorry, couldn't resist

How YOU doin babe? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :devil:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

correction... *kitten* and scumbags make catcalls. men don't. this thread should be about sexist *kitten* and scumbags, not men.

we hate the *kitten* and scumbags as much as women do. and yes, i do speak for all men in this regard.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

You're right. They do.

Given the frequent claims that sexual assaults are under-reported, how are you measuring rates? Now, how are you measuring rates of assaults that don't have an obvious sexual component, given those same claims of under-reporting?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    They get harassed in different ways. Instead of being sexual, it's more about intimidation. I don't think anyone has real numbers on how often either group is harassed, so you can't really say it happens to on more than the other. But yeah, I understand women being more wary of it, but some women take it too far. Having a drunk guy look at you is harassment now? Please...

I think the drunk guys looking at her occurred after the cat calling and therefore she already was in "fight or flight" mode. I presume, although I don't know, she wouldn't have really made an issue about it if that's all there was.

I don't know about where you are but IIRC the crime stats clearly show a much, much greater incidence of sexual assault against women by men then vice versa. It's true men might not be reporting the same but I doubt it. As such women are bound to be more sensitive to this type of issue and I feel they have every right to be.

Harassment on the other hand I think you're right. No reliable stats on that to my knowledge.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Not sexism, the end.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    <---- Most likely to be guilty of being appreciative of great abs. And verbalizing it.