Beware the uninformed

Options
Just a quick rant here. There seem to be quite a few people who peruse the forums simply looking for someone to argue with. It's not a very intelligent decision if you attack someone who actually knows what they are talking about, because if you would just listen and learn, you might find ways to be healthier. The internet is full of trash blogs and studies that are completely inaccurate. In order to find the best information, you need to stick to medical websites, or talk to those who are experts in the field, or have a lot of training and education.
I myself work in the medical field and have for many years. I've studied diet and fitness as well, independently of my job, for college courses and for my own benefit. Just because someone tells you something in a forum, please don't assume they know what they are talking about. Please take the time to ask them what their expertise is in the area about which you are receiving information and advice.

Replies

• Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    In for the ironing.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There seem to be quite a few people who peruse the forums simply looking for someone to argue with.

NO THERE AREN'T! :mad:

:wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If people just listened to me, there wouldn't be a problem.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If people just listened to me, there wouldn't be a problem.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

+1 :bigsmile:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - as a source of training and nutritional information, My Fitness Pal is a very good internet tool for logging daily food intake and exercise.

Oh - and there are some nice friends on here too.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Oh.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    can you please describe the difference between "informed" and "uninformed"? what credentials and education does one need to have in order to be "informed"? can this knowledge be obtained by reading and analyzing peer reviewed, scientific studies?

thanks for the clarification OP.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    There seem to be quite a few people who peruse the forums simply looking for someone to argue with.

NO THERE AREN'T! :mad:

:wink:
    YES THERE ARE! I will now commence criticizing parts of your personality that are totally unrelated to this argument.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

^ this disclaimer is at the bottom of every forum page.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OP.

Pretty much goes for all of life, wouldn't you say? Some of the stuff "taught" in colleges is total bunk.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Critical thinking skills are pretty awesome.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the asking someone to explain their expertise, the differing of opinions that will ensue and well, the science!!!

:drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wheres the popcorn?
    and whiskey?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The point of the OP is lost on me. TL;DR = don't believe everything you read?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Um. K.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Just a quick rant here. There seem to be quite a few people who peruse the forums simply looking for someone to argue with. It's not a very intelligent decision if you attack someone who actually knows what they are talking about, because if you would just listen and learn, you might find ways to be healthier. The internet is full of trash blogs and studies that are completely inaccurate. In order to find the best information, you need to stick to medical websites, or talk to those who are experts in the field, or have a lot of training and education.
    I myself work in the medical field and have for many years. I've studied diet and fitness as well, independently of my job, for college courses and for my own benefit. Just because someone tells you something in a forum, please don't assume they know what they are talking about. Please take the time to ask them what their expertise is in the area about which you are receiving information and advice.

Agreed on the first point about people simply wanting to argue. I encountered that myself a few days ago when I posted a subject/question about lifting. The other thing I have noticed is it would seem people are on here looking for something other than fitness and health advice, you can draw your on conclusion on what I am talking about.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

stop assuming that you are the only one that knows what they are talking about just because you work in the medical field. a lot of individuals have outdated knowledge
  • fallenoaks50
    Options

So if we just listen and learn from you because you've studied nutrition, we'll all be healthier? Good to know.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

stop assuming that you are the only one that knows what they are talking about just because you work in the medical field. a lot of individuals have outdated knowledge

Word.

I work in the medical field and I didn't/don't know anything diet and fitness related. I can deliver a baby like nobody's business, though.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    In to be informed by a random Internet stranger claiming to be a medical professional.