Beware the uninformed

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    In to be informed by a random Internet stranger claiming to be a medical professional.

And, while we're all taking the OP's health advice, I'm a financial advisor and if you send me your savings I'll double or triple it. You can trust me, random internet strangers never lie.

Pretty sure I never told anyone to take my advice. I've only offered it to those who have asked for help, I posted this OP based on being personally attacked about the information I was giving to someone else.

mccindy, how about a link to this alledged "Attack"...usually it is someone (you) being too sensitive.

internetfight_zps90b5f393.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In to be informed by a random Internet stranger claiming to be a medical professional.

And, while we're all taking the OP's health advice, I'm a financial advisor and if you send me your savings I'll double or triple it. You can trust me, random internet strangers never lie.

Pretty sure I never told anyone to take my advice. I've only offered it to those who have asked for help, I posted this OP based on being personally attacked about the information I was giving to someone else.

Oh. So this is a butthurt rant.

Less amused now.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    For myself, I can agree with the don't listen to what everyone says.

However, I would hope they would research claims out themselves before taking to heart what a stranger says online. If not then it becomes their problem for being naïve.

My big gripe is just the all for nothing answers I see on here. Not everything works for everyone so just because it works for you does not mean it is right for me.

But I do appreciate everyone's opinions when they are genuine and sincere and not with that occasional Bull****!

Not everyone is me so maybe the easily manipulated need to take heed to this kind of warning. lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you read the original post, you'll see I was just venting a bit about how people decide to argue. I'm not offended or insulted by the dude on the other feed, I just wanted to vent about it. Reaching out - isn't that what this site is supposed to be all about? Although at this point I have my doubts.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: A number of "nutritionists" barely pass a non-proxied online test to receive their credentials and have no idea what they are talking about. Also, a number of doctors don't specialize in nutrition and haven't kept up with the latest research. In addition, many (not all) personal trainers know only what they've read in bodybuilding magazines that are trying to sell something. As such, these people, that would - on the surface - seem to be good sources for nutritional knowledge and advice, are woefully ignorant of useful information and lack the expertise to advise people.

On the other hand, there are a number of people that actually have some sort of scientific background and know how to read and analyze studies. Some of these people are actually up to date on the latest research, even though they haven't spent the money to get certified.

TL/DR: Just because you have a fancy title, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

know how to read and analyze studies.

Me too. No medical background.

vy07r6.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If you read the original post, you'll see I was just venting a bit about how people decide to argue. I'm not offended or insulted by the dude on the other feed, I just wanted to vent about it. Reaching out - isn't that what this site is supposed to be all about? Although at this point I have my doubts.

Totally uncalled for. No need to attack and be judgemental
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

mccindy, how about a link to this alledged "Attack"...usually it is someone (you) being too sensitive.

internetfight_zps90b5f393.gif
    this
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

My guess? It's here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1156847-i-m-really-frustrated-with-how-to-eat-to-lose-fat

Specifically, where she speaks about lengthening muscles and such.
  • mccindy72
    Options

My guess? It's here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1156847-i-m-really-frustrated-with-how-to-eat-to-lose-fat

Nope.
  • cmriverside
    Options

No, you posted the original post to let people know that they should be cautious in believing people. Good advice in all of life.

THEN you cam back and said, "people were mean to me."

That will get you attention that you really won't like.

Good luck with this approach. :flowerforyou:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    TL/DR: Just because you have a fancy title, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

^^ x100!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Variation of "you're not supportive"
    Is that on the bingo card?
  • mccindy72
    Options

No, you posted the original post to let people know that they should be cautious in believing people. Good advice in all of life.

Again, read while closely paying attention. I did not say people were mean to me, I said someone attacked me while I was offering advice to someone else. There's a difference between an adult discussion between people who disagree and can speak calmly about it (which I enjoy) and people who feel it's necessary to give insult and call names. Emotions during debate usually lead to someone losing control of their argument and lashing out.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Again, read while closely paying attention. I did not say people were mean to me, I said someone attacked me while I was offering advice to someone else. There's a difference between an adult discussion between people who disagree and can speak calmly about it (which I enjoy) and people who feel it's necessary to give insult and call names. Emotions during debate usually lead to someone losing control of their argument and lashing out.
    Really? You're going to try to shift attention on to my reading skills?

Again, good luck with your blame game.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Really? You're going to try to shift attention on to my reading skills?

Again, good luck with your blame game.

I'm directing your ability to comprehend what you are reading and apply it to the current discussion. You misunderstood the previous post and I thought you should take a second to make sure you were understanding the point.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Variation of "you're not supportive"
    Is that on the bingo card?

Hmm. I'll allow it.

So we have: Mean People Rant
    MFP/the forums aren't very supportive
    That's what this site is for/we're all here for the same reasons
    I'm an expert

Have I missed any? Anyone have bingo?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Nope.

It's this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157181-help-new-and-need-some-suggestions

A low carb debate.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Insulted angry condescending OP is insulted, angry, and condescending.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The uninformed ruin a lot more than website forums.
    The list is too long..........................