Beware the uninformed

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    At this point I find myself wondering why any of you are even on this website. Obviously it's not to support or help anyone; it's just to find ways to pick people apart and make them feel small, even if they are just trying to express themselves. It's a sad first world we live in when the Internet gives us the means to reach out anonymously and hurt other people without discretion. I try to do what I can to help people who are asking for good advice; it's up to them who they believe and what they do. I happen to have a an extensive field of knowledge in this area, which is why I feel secure in offering advice to those who are asking for it. I don't go on computer websites and tell people which computers are best and how to fix them, because I don't have knowledge or experience in that area.

I think most of you should be ashamed of yourselves for taking the low road on this particular feed. You should be using this forum as a way to empower yourselves by helping others, and you've decided to use it as a way to belittle other instead. I imagine most of you won't read this whole post, but rather will pick apart the first couple of sentences without (again) taking the time to glean all the information in it. Continue to say what you want; I won't be posting on this feed again.

I've read all of your posts, and I'd say you're on the right track, but too soon to give advice to others. Keep reading & researching, you're 95% there but have a couple of things confused.

Good luck :drinker:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    At this point I find myself wondering why any of you are even on this website. Obviously it's not to support or help anyone; it's just to find ways to pick people apart and make them feel small, even if they are just trying to express themselves. It's a sad first world we live in when the Internet gives us the means to reach out anonymously and hurt other people without discretion. I try to do what I can to help people who are asking for good advice; it's up to them who they believe and what they do. I happen to have a an extensive field of knowledge in this area, which is why I feel secure in offering advice to those who are asking for it. I don't go on computer websites and tell people which computers are best and how to fix them, because I don't have knowledge or experience in that area.

I think most of you should be ashamed of yourselves for taking the low road on this particular feed. You should be using this forum as a way to empower yourselves by helping others, and you've decided to use it as a way to belittle other instead. I imagine most of you won't read this whole post, but rather will pick apart the first couple of sentences without (again) taking the time to glean all the information in it. Continue to say what you want; I won't be posting on this feed again.

First of all, it's in bad taste to carry over a grudge/frustration from one thread and start a new one 'venting'. So lets not pretend you're up on forum etiquette my dear. Second of all, people are blunt because there's a lot of misinformation being posted here in the forums (for example, what you posted in other thread), and people get tired of it. It's annoying, it leads people down wrong paths, it gets old and It does no one any favors. So yes, people will call "you" out here pretty quick when you post something that's hogwash.

I'm always willing to be supportive and help those who ask for it. However, I will not put up with bull. I'm blunt, I'm honest and I'm also someone who's succeeded at this whole thing. I have very short tolerance for excuses or people who continue to willfully be ignorant.

OP, If you are so easily offended when someone calls you out when you're wrong about something, then perhaps this isn't the best forum for you to hang out in.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You started a thread taking a massive swing at the community here. You expected hugs and high-fives?

Also, from what I've read about your understanding of nutrition, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

There's nothing to pick apart. There's no substance. Just a bunch of anger.

This sums it up pretty well. Additionally - and to be perfectly honest, I feel a little bad about "taking a shot" here (a little) - her knowledge of the human anatomy and fitness is severely lacking, as well. The problem, I feel, is that she has a little bit of knowledge. Unfortunately, she has - in the threads I've seen - gotten that knowledge almost completely mixed up. And instead of checking things out when she gets called on it, she sticks to her (wrong) guns. Oh, well.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to figure out which one of my friend's troll account this is.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm here for cat gifs, cleavage shots, and snark. Anyone else interested in the same? If so let's be friends and support each other on this sarcasm filled journey!

No naturally skinny people though, I can only relate to my fellow fatties.

There+is+no+need+to+be+upset.+What+did+Zelda_46704f_4698842.gif

How about a gaming gif? :P

Will also allow.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    At this point I find myself wondering why any of you are even on this website. Obviously it's not to support or help anyone; it's just to find ways to pick people apart and make them feel small, even if they are just trying to express themselves. It's a sad first world we live in when the Internet gives us the means to reach out anonymously and hurt other people without discretion.

Personally, I'm here to track my food and exercise to assist with my weight loss and fitness efforts. But also for friendship and support - but I think my definition of that is way different from yours. Which is fine. I don't like to share my friends anyway.
    I try to do what I can to help people who are asking for good advice; it's up to them who they believe and what they do. I happen to have a an extensive field of knowledge in this area, which is why I feel secure in offering advice to those who are asking for it. I don't go on computer websites and tell people which computers are best and how to fix them, because I don't have knowledge or experience in that area.

Your knowledge isn't as extensive as you think. A lot of people here are going to chose not to believe you because more recent information suggests that everything you have said is wrong (the whole carbs thing for example). You can feel as secure as you want in offering the advice but just know that it won't be well received by many and will often be refuted. You will probably continue to see that as "rude".

I didn't call anyone "ignorant". You did. I didn't make a thread because someone offended me in another thread. You did. And I'm on the low-road side? :huh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    At this point I find myself wondering why any of you are even on this website.

I'm here to get info and support about losing weight, to talk with others going through the same journey, and to have fun.
    it's not to support or help anyone; it's just to find ways to pick people apart and make them feel small, even if they are just trying to express themselves. It's a sad first world we live in when the Internet gives us the means to reach out anonymously and hurt other people without discretion.

You mean like passive-aggressively creating a thread on another board to publicly attack another user in front of the whole community instead of keeping it in the same thread or PMing them like an adult?
    I try to do what I can to help people who are asking for good advice; it's up to them who they believe and what they do.

Then why are you so upset that someone else disagreed with you?
    I happen to have a an extensive field of knowledge in this area, which is why I feel secure in offering advice to those who are asking for it. I don't go on computer websites and tell people which computers are best and how to fix them, because I don't have knowledge or experience in that area.

I imagine manners and etiquette are other topics we can expect not to see an opinion from you.
    I think most of you should be ashamed of yourselves for taking the low road on this particular feed.

Someone's projecting. And I have a degree in Psychology, so that makes this an expert opinion.
    You should be using this forum as a way to empower yourselves by helping others, and you've decided to use it as a way to belittle other instead.

Again, you created an entirely new post to publicly humiliate another user.
    I imagine most of you won't read this whole post, but rather will pick apart the first couple of sentences without (again) taking the time to glean all the information in it. Continue to say what you want; I won't be posting on this feed again.

Well, obviously I read it, and have continued to say what I want. And we both know you're reading it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

mccindy, how about a link to this alledged "Attack"...usually it is someone (you) being too sensitive.

My guess? It's here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1156847-i-m-really-frustrated-with-how-to-eat-to-lose-fat

Specifically, where she speaks about lengthening muscles and such.

Nope.

It's this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157181-help-new-and-need-some-suggestions

A low carb debate.

OP: the guy was not rude to you. Also, your facts were wrong.

What is rude, is starting a venting thread being condescending and hypocritical and then accusing other people of being rude when they call you on it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    can you please describe the difference between "informed" and "uninformed"? what credentials and education does one need to have in order to be "informed"? can this knowledge be obtained by reading and analyzing peer reviewed, scientific studies?

thanks for the clarification OP.

Anyone who has done research involving credible sources is informed. I don't think it requires any type of credentials to be informed, it's just about knowing the real facts about things and not continuing to propagate belief in information that is not correct. I'm the first person to admit if I am incorrect about something, especially if someone can give me new information. I have an issue with closed-minded people who just assume that what they know or have heard is the truth and won't listen to a rational discussion that might include new information.

The problem being, even those in the medical fields can't agree on all the facts. So who do you trust then?
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can add
    Shaming/belittling us for shaming/belittling others
    to that Bingo card.

Anyone?
  • Achrya
    Options
    You can add
    Shaming/belittling us for shaming/belittling others
    to that Bingo card.

Anyone?

Yes! How's I forget that one. OP was just a bingo dream.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Alright guys, good work today. I'll meet you back at the secret bully group in an hour for milk and graham crackers.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Alright guys, good work today. I'll meet you back at the secret bully group in an hour for milk and graham crackers.

make it pop tarts and ice cream and I'm in like a dirty shirt
  • Achrya
    Options

Graham crackers and cow's milk?? I was told there would be gluten free cookies and rice milk! This is an outrage. Do I look like a baby cow or a baby graham to you?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

No way - the carbs will make us all fat!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

wait. "In like a dirty shirt"? What does this mean?

I have to admit, I'd rather have cookies and ice cream.

#rebel food
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Chips & salsa plz
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Graham crackers and cow's milk?? I was told there would be gluten free cookies and rice milk! This is an outrage. Do I look like a baby cow or a baby graham to you?

Hey - do I look like a baby cracker?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

wait. "In like a dirty shirt"? What does this mean?

I have to admit, I'd rather have cookies and ice cream.

#rebel food

Come sit by me. My shirt is clean and I have both cookies and ice cream.

(also my hair is clean too and smells nice. Irrelevant but I'm throwing that out there anyway)