What's the purpose of marriage?

Options
For the life of me, I can't find any advantages of being married. I understand the religious aspect of it (even though I'm about as non-religious as they come), but that doesn't outweigh the cons.

My good friend recently got divorced from his wife of 4 years and he had to pay alimony. He agreed to pays $2,000/month for 1 year. Thankfully, they had no kids together. It always seems that a well educated man (or woman) who makes a decent amount of money always has a lot to lose if the marriage goes south.

So what's the real purpose of being married? Before the age of modern religion, men and women existed in harmony for tens of thousands of years. Can someone red pill me on the advantages, besides joint filing on your taxes?

And where did this silly idea of buying a woman a diamond ring ever come from?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Eww, jewelry.
    Diamond is my birthstone, but I've never wanted one. Just going to get myself a ruby (bc red ftw) and implant it somewhere only I'd know it is :)

As for marriage.. I think some people just do it to abuse it. Some out of love and some out of stupidity.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    My ex got away with a huge chunk from my 401k and will receive a check every single month after I retire....the phrase in my case should be "cheaper to keep HIM".... When you find out a purpose of marriage, let me know because I'm wondering too...
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    In, because I'd like to know too

(currently married, for what it's worth, but my partner comes from a deeply religious family that would've disowned him had we simply lived together for longer than we did)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Before the age of modern religion, men and women existed in harmony for tens of thousands of years.
    Marriages have existed long before modern religion.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I suspect you don't actually want to know and are just starting a flame war.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    To create more God-fearing, Christ-loving, good-doing wonders of the world.

Duh.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was never the girl who imagined her wedding day or planned on getting married. I met my husband and marriage meant more to him than being unmarried meant to me. I knew, deep in my heart, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and didnt feel I needed the validation of marriage. I never thought being married would change our dynamic but it did (for the better). When two people come together and get married and both honor being married, it's amazing. For most people being married is the end all be all and they stop trying while failing to realize that's when the real work begins. Marriage is losing it's strength and meaning because so many people marry for trivial reasons and divorce for trivial reasons. We live in a society now, where love has become disposable and so marriage seems pointless. I can't convince anyone for supporting marriage, but to me it's a very beautiful thing that we need to learn to value again.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way until I had my first long relationship with someone whom I couldn't imagine being without. Marriage isn't for everyone. I am looking forward to it, as long as it is with someone who is my lover and my best friend.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to say if you are asking these questions you are not with or met the right person yet.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It's ok Bro. Some of us will support you in your choice of a non-marriage homosexual relationship if that is what you desire.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone. The main purpose is making a commitment to stand by a partner no matter what comes along. That is a dying attitude in every aspect of life. Whether it is marriage, a job, a parent, working out, a religion... It seems we have evolved to an attitude I only have to do what feels good/right to me right now at this moment. So yes marriage is an obsolete tradition. Personally I love it and 23+ years partnered up with the right person has been great. But, like I said it’s not for everyone.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

Before the age of modern religion, men and women existed in harmony for tens of thousands of years.
    Marriages have existed long before modern religion.

I don't think so. Humans have been in our current form for nearly 100,000 years (according to scientist). Modern religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, and Christianity date back about 8,000 years, though Christianity is the "new kid on block" and hasn't been around that long.

Regardless, men and women have been having kids and spending time together for well over 90,000 years before modern religion.

Note: not starting a religious/evolution/whatever debate. I only care about finding a couple decent reasons why someone should marry.
  • arghbowl
    Options
    It's ok Bro. Some of us will support you in your choice of a non-marriage homosexual relationship if that is what you desire.

What about our married homosexual relationship? Are you saying we're the exception?! HOW DARE YOU

ps - you're sleeping on the couch tonight. The kangaroo got into the chocolate frosting you left out,.
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    The ring comes from cavemen days when they would tie a string around the woman's finger to claim her as his.

As for marriage, my husband and I said the same thing. The only logical reason for the two of us to get married was to start a family and that's what we did. But before kids, we lived like a married couple without the documentation. We preferred it that way, on the off chance one of us wanted to walk away from the relationship we could, no strings attached.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to say if you are asking these questions you are not with or met the right person yet.

Maybe you're right. I haven't found someone I like more than half of all my possessions!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

What about our married homosexual relationship? Are you saying we're the exception?! HOW DARE YOU

ps - you're sleeping on the couch tonight. The kangaroo got into the chocolate frosting you left out,.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Wait. Wait. I found it.

Since you obviously come not expecting any type of reasonable conversation.

tumblr_mxmicqjgMO1sdy6hvo1_500.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

This is hilarious and made my morning. Thank you for that. :laugh:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Maybe you're right. I haven't found someone I like more than half of all my possessions!

Besides yourself?
  • arghbowl
    Options

Besides yourself?

I named my right hand Jill. She puts out any time I want. She's great.