What's the purpose of marriage?

Options

Replies

• MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

He wants to get married again after what happened the first time? That $24,000 in alimony payments could have been a nice contribution to a BMW 3-Series, which sells around the low 30s. That 3 Series could have brought him some hot young women with tight bodies who want sex that is steamy, casual, and possibly without strings. However, I would recommend against basing your value prop as a mate on your car. Game needs to be more fundamentally sound than having a nice ride. A guy who has a nice ride and isn’t fundamentally sound in game is like a rookie Blake Griffin. Griffin had amazing athleticism but wasn’t the most fundamentally sound NBA player, nor would I say that about him today. Also, when I think of Blake Griffin, I can’t help but think of his bad decision with Brynn Cameron. I would say that Brynn Cameron has great girl game in the dating/mating sphere.

$24,000 is a nice chunk of money. It sounds like a BMW would have brought him much more joy than paying his ex-wife alimony.

I also agree that game is equally, if not more, important than having a nice car. I know guys that can't rub two nickel together, but are scoring high quality women every weekend. I know wealthy guy's with no game that would be lucky to go home with an old 'lounge lizard' at some suburban dive bar at the end of the night.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

He wants to get married again after what happened the first time? That $24,000 in alimony payments could have been a nice contribution to a BMW 3-Series, which sells around the low 30s. That 3 Series could have brought him some hot young women with tight bodies who want sex that is steamy, casual, and possibly without strings. However, I would recommend against basing your value prop as a mate on your car. Game needs to be more fundamentally sound than having a nice ride. A guy who has a nice ride and isn’t fundamentally sound in game is like a rookie Blake Griffin. Griffin had amazing athleticism but wasn’t the most fundamentally sound NBA player, nor would I say that about him today. Also, when I think of Blake Griffin, I can’t help but think of his bad decision with Brynn Cameron. I would say that Brynn Cameron has great girl game in the dating/mating sphere.

$24,000 is a nice chunk of money. It sounds like a BMW would have brought him much more joy than paying his ex-wife alimony.

I also agree that game is equally, if not more, important than having a nice car. I know guys that can't rub two nickel together, but are scoring high quality women every weekend. I know wealthy guy's with no game that would be lucky to go home with an old 'lounge lizard' at some suburban dive bar at the end of the night.

you're really vile.

i'm not even a "feminist" or a liberal and even i find your constant demeaning of women on thread after thread into mere carnival prizes to be offensive.
  • MM_1982
    Options
    you're really vile.

i'm not even a "feminist" or a liberal and even i find your constant demeaning of women on thread after thread into mere carnival prizes to be offensive.

King Beta Male finally makes an appearance. Not demeaning women at all, just saying it like it is.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    you're really vile.

King Beta Male finally makes an appearance. Not demeaning women at all, just saying it like it is.

i think you have issues with both men and women.

i'm also too old to pay any attention to this alpha/beta male nonsense that you constantly blather about as well. that's the language of children and i stopped being a child long ago.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    To answer your question about where marriage came from:

My understanding, from studying the history of the family in university, is that marriage coincided with the rise of private property. With a shift from public/communal property to private property, men wanted inheritors to pass on their property. Therefore, they decided to contain the sexuality of women to "ensure" that their sons were theirs biologically (prior to marriage polyamory was much more common than monogamy). Therefore the purpose DID revolve around property - securing private property and securing women as property.

Obviously today *most* people do not still view marriage as a property exchange and the containment of sexuality. Although if you think about marriage it, marriage is about sexual monogamy and financial convergence. And the tradition of giving a woman a diamond ring and asking her father's blessing is symbolic of women as exchangeable.

Why do people get married today? I think mostly because it's become a social norm and it's seen as a "natural" step in life. Although if you ask people they'll tell you it's based on finding a single partner to live out your days with. I don't think there is anything wrong with that but I do not believe it's necessary or even the best form of relationships for most people.
  • bigtwagner
    Options
    A lot of the complaints on here are because of the ex getting a portion of a 401K or a portion of some other pension. Sorry to say this folks, but they have the ability to acquire money for these types of plans even if they aren't married. I know a number of people that had to pay the other when they broke up, even though they weren't married. If that is the case, maybe one shouldn't even get involved in any kind of relationship. Either way, there are going to be risks. Pick the right person so you don't have to worry about it
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    you're really vile.

Well, you and Roosh up there with his BMW 3-series are entitled to your world view. I still want to know why you're both carrying on about it on MFP when you're obviously aware there are places you'll find more like minds.
  • MM_1982
    Options
    you're really vile.

i'm also too old to pay any attention to this alpha/beta male nonsense that you constantly blather about as well. that's the language of children and i stopped being a child long ago.

No issues with either sex. I have many female friends.

If anyone has a problem with women, it's you. In a majority of your posts on here, you're subtly seeking approval from females on a variety of topics. You refuse to tell it how it is and instead, you post to make yourself look like the "good guy".
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

I think any guy would rather spend money on himself than his ex-wife. Even if it is an absurd purchase, anything beats alimony.

Cars are so less important than they were in the past. In the Millennial generation, cars barely register as a status symbol. The bigger status symbol now to Gen Y/Millennials is your smartphone. Having an iPhone will impress a girl more than a BMW now.

Game trumps all, but game saturation is becoming an issue. The more people that get into game, the quality of the game that you need to have to get goes up. The average 6 today gets the attention that Jaclyn Smith got during the "Charlie's Angels" heyday in the 1970s.

It all makes it harder to find someone of quality.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Well, you are consistent; I'll give you that.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Can someone red pill me on the advantages, besides joint filing on your taxes?

And where did this silly idea of buying a woman a diamond ring ever come from?

1. My husband and I are together because we want to be. We went for the piece of paper specifically for tax/insurance purposes.

2. IDK...Our wedding rings are silver with semi-precious gemstones: tiger's eye for strength, and malachite for prosperity.

My engagement ring is silver with a white topaz. I love it. It cost about 50 bucks. I'm a non traditional kind of gal, anyway. I'm marrying him because he is the first man that I've wanted to make it work with, no matter what.

That's about the same as what we paid, about 50 bucks each. A lot of people "oooh" and "ahhh" when I explain the stones as being symbols for a strong and prosperous marriage, but there were more than a few bewildered looks when they first saw our rings. We are both very non-traditional as well. We spent *maybe* $100 on the ceremony and reception. (including a cassette tape of
    "The Wedding March" for $5 :laugh:)

Ha Ha..I didn't even spring for "The Wedding March" I walked down the aisle to the Theme from "Superman"...I did the dress (partially because I had never worn a formal gown of any kind), but we did a private ceremony in a 200 year old church that only sat 75 and didn't have indoor plumbing or electricity..LOL
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I got married to my wife because I could not imagine a day in my life without her, I suppose we didn't need to get married but we wanted to invite our friends and family to celebrate our love and support us. I couldn't wait to get married I'm 38 been married 12 years have 4 kids and it's crazy at times but we are such a good team that we make it happen and enjoy the ride.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Before the age of modern religion, men and women existed in harmony for tens of thousands of years.
    Marriages have existed long before modern religion.

I find it hard to believe that men and women lived in harmony for ten days nevemind thousands of years.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The purpose of marriage is to discover once and for all what was truly important in a relationship.

And then go get it your second time around.

Like so many things in life you won't appreciate a good one until you've had a bad one.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was never the girl who imagined her wedding day or planned on getting married. I met my husband and marriage meant more to him than being unmarried meant to me. I knew, deep in my heart, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and didnt feel I needed the validation of marriage. I never thought being married would change our dynamic but it did (for the better). When two people come together and get married and both honor being married, it's amazing. For most people being married is the end all be all and they stop trying while failing to realize that's when the real work begins. Marriage is losing it's strength and meaning because so many people marry for trivial reasons and divorce for trivial reasons. We live in a society now, where love has become disposable and so marriage seems pointless. I can't convince anyone for supporting marriage, but to me it's a very beautiful thing that we need to learn to value again.

I agree on so many levels. People give up too easily. Marriage isnt for everyone but this works for me and my husband.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Marriage is what keeps you together as you fall in and out and in and out and in and out of love.

As far as diamonds, I bought myself a giant princess cut Peridot solitaire.. of course the payments come out of our joint account. Our first rings were $30 tungsten carbide bands that we bought before his first deployment.

I don't know why many people get married anymore, but my marriage to my husband is my way of showing him that no matter what happens, I have made the vow to see our love through until the end. There will be highs and lows because there is no good without bad, but so long as we can remember that love is what brought us together, we can make it. Marriage is a reminder that at one point in your life you loved this person so much that you were willing to bet your entire future on it. If you can keep sight of that love, you can rekindle the flame.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Insurance benefits......
  • jimethanowen
    Options
    Tough, but good question! Either you believe in marriage or you don't....you can always create a pre-nup, when you have found "The One"!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

Before the age of modern religion, men and women existed in harmony for tens of thousands of years.
    Marriages have existed long before modern religion.

I find it hard to believe that men and women lived in harmony for ten days nevemind thousands of years.

^this. The mixing of broscience with strawman argument makes me considering taking up drinking.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    you're really vile.

No issues with either sex. I have many female friends.

If anyone has a problem with women, it's you. In a majority of your posts on here, you're subtly seeking approval from females on a variety of topics. You refuse to tell it how it is and instead, you post to make yourself look like the "good guy".

you and your cohort below have bought into a bogus life philosophy that borders on the sociopathic.

i think the both of you and Ted Bundy would've found that you all had much in common.