My 2013 New Year's Resolution led to dropping 180lbs (Pics)

tedrickp
tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
Daaaaamn, what a year!

While I am still FAR from my goals - I have had a pretty rocking 2013.

I wanted to make this post when I reached my own final goal, but I thought about all the people surfing these boards that were probably just like me last January.

I was a New Year’s "resolution-er" - pouring through the success stories, just looking for any nibble of inspiration I could find.

I didn’t find many people even close to as bad off as I was. Any time I did I was filled with motivation. I have a wonderful group of MFP friends - but a couple success stories stuck out in particular:

Lacroyx
Ed Davenport
DownsizingHoss
Magerum

I haven’t even connected with everyone listed above (two of them may not even know who I am) - thoey aren’t my closest MFP friends - but reading all 3 of their stories was what helped ignite a fire in me.

That is why I am posting this BEFORE i feel like a success. I’m hoping it can inspire just one person and convert them from a January resolution-er - to a weight loss warrior!

My Story:

One day i stepped on a scale and weighed just over 500lbs. It had taken me awhile to find a scale to support me and I was semi-shocked when I saw the number. I knew I was out of control but that was a shocker.

The last time I had weighed myself was about 3 months prior and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was at a doctor visit and needed to get weighed. None of the scales worked so they sent me to the hospital.

That’s not the worst part…

I had to go to the laundry room in the hospital and get weighed by the laundry scale.

BRUTAL. Talk about walk of shame!

This was me…

rayuyw.jpg

Sooooo I was huuuuge - but maybe not shy! :laugh:

I think I did a good job trying to be normal at 500lbs - but it was always SUCH a struggle to go to a social event. It was always a lot of pumping myself up to want to go. I had to worry about **** like going to restaurants with booths. Fitting in back seats of cars. Sitting on lawn chairs. Ya know #fatpeopleproblems.

As of today, I am now down 180lbs (ticker was started after i had already lost 15). Still obese but well on my way….

I am 100% confident that I will reach my goals now.

Why? Because I took the time to really learn about the things that matter.

A brief outline of what helped me:

Nutrition:

- Stopped trying restrictive diets.
- Focus on calories in and calories out - yes that is oversimplified but it’s still the way to lose weight.
- Didn’t restrict any one macro - carbs and fat for life son.
- Track my macros and micros. (macros = fat, carbs protein, micros = minerals and vitamins)
- Eat whole, nutrient rich foods mostly but still enjoy the foods I like in moderation
- Ignored the undefinable concept “clean eating”.
- Ignored nutrient timing. It doesn’t matter except for personal preference/performance. You can eat 6 meals, eat one meal, eat before bed, eat in morning or skip breakfast…etc…doesn’t matter! For those of you chugging protein shakes right after your workout, the “anabolic window” is probably more like 4-6 hours post workout (rather than the one hour many people still claim).
- I still party! Keeps me centered.
- I like diet pop and it is helpful in my weight loss efforts to curb cravings.
- I never eat breakfast in the morning. My first meal is usually 11-12. Personal preference is only reason. I like saving the calories for bigger meals later.
- I took the sugar counter right off of my MFP tracker. Way too low as it was set and sugar is a carb after all and I track that already! Sugar is not evil!
- I don’t demonize ANY foods. Pass the fat, carbs, gluten, wheat, msg and aspartame!
- I don’t starve myself!
- I ignored the Glycemic Index because it is dumb.
- I love white potatoes. F*** Your sweet ones! Less cals in the mighty white potato, it’s the highest ranked food on the Satiety Index (feeling full) AND more potassium than a banana. Pass the potatoes.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

Fitness:

- Still a learning process for me
- I started by walking! Thats it! I walked as far as I could one day, and beat it the next.
- I lift weights now as well - for me I like a strength based program (low reps) because I don’t think I need to worry about hypertrophy in my current caloric deficit.
- I don’t believe you necessarily have to change up your routine to “shock” your muscles. I think progressive overload will build/retain muscle just fine.
- People often worry about their bodies adapting to exercise and becoming more efficient at it so it burns less cals. THIS does happen. It happened to me. I didn’t have to “shock” my body with new exercises…I simply had to speed up my walking.
- Love working out on the punching bag as well - good stress relief and good burn. If you do this though - please get the proper hand wraps! Just gloves is not good enough - you need to wrap your hands first!

That has all lead to this…

m928mq.jpg

So while still clearly far away from "success" - ALSO clearly healthier and happier.

Happier is the key IMO.

All the above advice I give - doesn’t matter unless you can stay motivated and on track. That is really the key to this all - lifestyle.

Some Motivational Tips:

- If you are coming here asking for motivation - you are doing it wrong. No one can tell you what motivates you. Find the things in life that motivate you and use them. Write that **** down. Makes it more real.
- Don’t focus on the crap that doesn’t matter. Will Power is an exhaustible resource, that’s why I eat what I like in moderation and don’t stress out about the little stuff.
- Focus on getting happier. I know a LOT of you right now are thinking “Will losing weight make me happy?” I do not know that! BUT I do know that getting happier will help you lose weight. Living proof.
- Again happiness is a personal thing, but just remember your diet, people in your life and even your career - do not HAVE to make you miserable.
- Find songs, books or personalities that motivate you!

I am certainly no pro - but I have done an obsessive amount of research and am finally seeing some results.

I just want all those really huge guys out there (and everyone else) to know that a year can make a HUGE difference. I remember starting out daydreaming of things that are now a reality in my life.

Do not give up. Find your passion - embrace it. Start living life!

Resources:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress - Sarah and Sidesteel run a wonderfully helpful group right on this very forum. They are approachable, knowledgeable and super helpful.

http://alanaragon.com/ - Alan Aragorn is simply a genius IMO. I gladly pay him $10/month for access to his monthly review. He breaks down the current science of weight loss and fitness every month. Have learned more from him than almost anyone.

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/team-3dmj-eric-helms-coach.php - Eric Helms! Another fitness genius IMO. Just good old fashioned evidence backed information about fitness. A lot of his material is directed towards bodybuilders or athletes - but his knowledge is insane.

http://www.examine.com/ - A great site for supplementation info. Also had other nutritional related info and advice. Most articles include a list of links to the scientific studies related to the topic.

http://evidencemag.com/ (formerly Impruvism) - 18 year old Armi Legge has put together one of my current favourite sites. he left a well paying job at a popular fitness site because he was tired of peddling lies. Started his own site and it is full of great info. Check out his Why “Clean Eating” is a myth article! Eye opener!

Motivation: Eric Thomas, CT Fletcher, The Happiness Advantage (book), Thinking Fast and Slow (book and not motivational but a great peek into our own minds and how we make decisions).

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2014. Don’t give up.

A special thanks to my wonderful friend’s list here - couldn’t have done it without you!

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!