Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Finally, some sleep. Now back to work and let's hope some awesome stuff comes in. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Another long night. I have got to start sleeping during the day. It was just too much fun to play with the kids and take them for Pizza. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Long night here too. I do my best but can't sleep past noon. I get up and chill on the couch for 60-90 mins and then I can doze back off in bed. Can't see to get more than 7hrs.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You have the split sleep syndrome too? I thought it was just me. When I get some sleep, I sleep until noon and then I'm up for an hour and then I'm tired and I can go back to sleep for another two hours.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Nope, that's exactly how I roll. Some days it's easier to fall back asleep and other days, I can't.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You know the little bones in your throat that protect your pharynx? Don't let another dog break those. They cause an awful lot of swelling making it pretty tough to breath.
  • bethanie0825
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh damn, poor fellow.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    And the never ending night continues...I swear it was 2am 90 mins ago.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL. :smile: I know exactly how you feel. :smile:
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good morning (or night) to my co-night owls. I have missed the thread the last couple of nights as I have been (tee hee.. I can't even believe I am able to say this).. ON LEAVE! I come back Sunday night, I just took a couple days off to go to a concert and a spare day for recovery :wink:

Sufferland - I saw you talking about split sleep and the difficulties our shift work make for getting good rest....I don't know if it is available to you, but I use Provigil (Modifanil) for helping with my clock. It is originally a narcolepsy medicine, however a few years ago it was approved by the FDA for Shift Work Syndrome (yeah, there's a name for it - can you believe that *kitten*!!)

So anyways the pill comes in a 100 or a 200 mg tab I believe. It is HORRIBLY expensive (some insurances wont even cover it). It is a controlled substance for the propensity for abuse. I have been using it off and on for 4 years or so.

Anyhow, I thought I would throw that out there. It has a 16hr half life, so you have to be careful when you take it, or you could end up inadvertently awake when you should be asleep. I chose this path, partially because I couldn't commit 8 hrs at a time to a sleep cycle, so my primary wouldn't give me a sleep aid, instead he gave me something to make me more wakeful when I am awake and less risky on the roads for the approx 1hr drive to and fro. It had a mood enhancing element to it, and promotes an overall "upness" to my day. I can also sleep on it, but the timing window has to be right or I will be restless.

Hope that helps... it's better than mainlining coffee.... really. And for us medical peeps.. it doesn't even break the skin barrier :) LOL

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Oh I don't have a problem being up. I live on about 4 hours of sleep a day. The problem is when I have the chance to sleep longer, I can't do it. :smile: I love sleeping with the curtains open and the sun coming through the window. It is kind of comforting at this point. It helps me be sure I'm not a vampire. :smile: I do admit that I'm kind of conditioned at this point. I'll go to a school event for my kids and find myself dozing in the stands as the sun shines down. :smile: It's all good though. I make enough to provide for my family's needs and I get to go skiing and biking when everyone else is at work. So it's all good. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Hey! Another night guy. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So, we went on a breakfast date. I was looking adorable in a blue dress, had my hair up, some eyeliner on, and a hint of lip balm. Nothing crazy, but I was looking pretty adorable if I say so myself. We met at a little restaurant and I realized I FINALLY found a guy who likes Firefly at least HALF has much as I do. So after eating, we head back to his place in the plains of Smithville to watch our favorite episodes! It hasn't rained in hours, so no worries. :smile: He was a perfect gentleman while I was there.

I end up taking a short nap on his couch (he covered me with a blanket and tucked me in, sweet right?!). I wake up about an hour later and he tells me he has bad news. I said what?
    He then tells me his driveway and the road leading back to Bastrop is flooded! I ask him to show me and we drive down there, sure enough, there is probably 4 feet of rushing water blocking everything....

Queue anxiety. I call my dad. We check the water levels every hour. 4 hours later, no change. It is now almost 4pm. I decide to catch some sleep so I can go to work. Wake up at 8pm, there is still no change and we fear there may not even be a road left to drive on at this point. I have to call into work. I call in crying because calling in 'stranded' is so dumb! Even though Sergeant Young is telling me to stay put and stay safe and that it's not a big deal, I feel terrible about the whole thing. By this point I am stressed the *kitten* OUT and trying not to show it.

At least we had Firefly and some card games. Bachelor man had no 'real' food to speak of. But he did have MREs. Thanks to my amazing seasoning skills I get from my dad, they actually almost tasted like food by the time I was done with them.

I ended up not being able to leave until 7am the next morning. Our date was at 9am the day before. I wanted to spend, at most, 4 hours with the guy and ended up spending 22.

I would like to thank my 'Gibbs Go Bag' that I always keep in my car which had all of the essentials: deodorant, toothbrush, hairbrush, and comfy pants and shirt, along with an extra uniform for work.

Again, he was a perfect gentleman and we didn't do any serious fooling around and there was never any pressure to do so. We did have fun, but he saw a full range of Becca emotions from happy/excited to anxious/nervous to crushed/devastated. I, honestly, did not expect a call back.

I guess despite the fact that I felt I acted a bit over emotional, he liked how I handled myself in the situation. :blush:

ETA: TL;DR The date was scheduled for Tuesday morning. It ended Wednesday morning thanks to being stranded at his place by flood waters. Missed work and cried about it, but he still likes me and totally called wanting to see me again.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    If it ends up working out...what a first date story that would be fun to re-tell over the years!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Hi, errbody!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

ETA: TL;DR The date was scheduled for Tuesday morning. It ended Wednesday morning thanks to being stranded at his place by flood waters. Missed work and cried about it, but he still likes me and totally called wanting to see me again.

That is a really cute story! Sorry you had so much stress though.
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello all!!! Anyone else ever struggle with their first night back on shift? OMG I can never get sleep so I end up awake nearly 24 hours.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I sleep from 8 am to 11 am or noon. Sometimes I get to go back to sleep from 7 or 8 pm until 10 pm, but many days I don't. I hate it. I hate my job. I hate life at this point. I need to quit, bc I don't like being a hater!!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    It is my Monday. Family went on a long nature trail walk to an old timey village over our weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to a library event with my kiddo. She gets to dress as Spider Girl, she'll be stoked. Thinking of coloring my hair an acid green...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At work I use a pencil mostly. About 2 hrs into my shift and I misplace my pencil. I check under my seat and desk area, nothing. Oh well, no big deal. I grab another pencil and continue working. Time passes on and then suddenly I can't find my 2nd pencil. Now I thoroughly check my desk area, nothing. I get down on to the floor on my hands and knees and crawl around to see if the pencil rolled down under something and it's hidden from view but alas, I came up fruitless in my search. I am really puzzled as to where my pencils are disappearing to. I am alone since my coworker called in sick and there is no one but I in this 3 story building. I grab a 3rd pencil and push on. A bit more time passes and I take a quick bathroom break. After I am done I head over to wash my hands and notice in the mirror my 2 missing pencils from earlier wedged behind each ear. I've concluded I need more coffee. ( > _ < )