Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• colleen_mairead_xo
    colleen_mairead_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    More of a working weekends pain I suppose, lol. When do you exercise? Before or after work? Before or after you sleep? Only on your days off? Just curious, because if I walk or jog right after my shift, I sometimes have difficulty falling asleep. Wondering what works best for others.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I usually do better if I go right after work in the morning. It's way too easy to talk myself out of it if I go home for any reason. Also, I'm highly unlikely to get up early to work out. Sleep is mah precious, and I already don't get enough.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    finally! a thread with people who feel my night shift pain! i work friday saturday sunday 8pm-9am, hello everyone!! :D

Pain? I have no pain? @sufferlandrian? @jennifer_417? @Frankie_Felinius?

I have a few frustrations, but no pain.

Working nights definitely has its perks, but it has its drawbacks, too. Eh.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    More of a working weekends pain I suppose, lol. When do you exercise? Before or after work? Before or after you sleep? Only on your days off? Just curious, because if I walk or jog right after my shift, I sometimes have difficulty falling asleep. Wondering what works best for others.

Definitely workout before work, and I currently work Friday through Tuesday, straight 8's, 11PM-7AM. I don't give one wit that I work weekends but I've always worked weekends.

I sometimes walk the dog before I got to sleep (nothing serious, only about 2 miles) and then I'll take some Zzzquil to help me fall asleep. Whether or not I STAY asleep is a whole other story.
  • jennifer_417
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1st class @ 9:05am. Dunno why, but I'm nervous. :/

You'll be fine. You're a smart successful young woman. The worst thing that will happen to you at that class on tomorrow is you will be awkwardly hit on.

Aww thanks! And lol @ being awkwardly hit on!

Happened to me in college. Not the first day of class, but usually right around the first test, "Hey wanna come to my place and study? I can provide some 'stress relief'." Uhm...no. I can provide my OWN stress relief and it doesn't involve disease or pregnancy scares, thanks...

Serious? People really did that? I can't say anyone ever made an offer like that to me. Either I'm incredibly dense and didn't catch on, or I'm incredibly ugly. :smile: I'm going to go for option 1. :laugh:

I am not surprised about the density of men anymore. I had to practically THROW myself in SSP's lap before he finally understood that I was interested. Jeez! Was almost as bad as pulling teeth!

I can't say I ever actually get hit on in real life, so I'm not at all sure what I would do! lol!

You probably have been, it's just been WAY too subtle. People nowadays seem afraid all the time. Is he/she actually hitting on me or are they just being nice? What does that body language say?
    Will they consider this 'sexual harassment'?
    And to top it off, people don't know how to deal with problems on their OWN. I've always been direct. If you hit on me and it is unwanted, I will TELL you. I'm not going to go running to HR because you complimented my smile or tell me that my shirt compliments my eyes.
    I guess a lot of people (women) nowadays expect other people to defend them or stick up for them. NO! Stick up for your DAMN SELF! Save the company a wrongful termination lawsuit because you can't figure out how to turn down Jow Blow when he quietly asks you for a date!

/end rant

Yeah, I agree. Some people are way too uptight, and way too eager to run off and report somebody. If someone made a straightforward, polite (ie, not pushing me up against the wall and trying to kiss or grope me) advance and graciously accepted my answer, or offered a genuine compliment, I would absolutely not feel any offense at that.

It's kind of fine line sometimes, though. I have had to report people for sexual harassment, and urge others to do the same when they were clearly being harassed.

Edited because I accidentally typed "kill" instead of "kiss." LOL!

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    finally! a thread with people who feel my night shift pain! i work friday saturday sunday 8pm-9am, hello everyone!! :D

Welcome! Hang around and we will show you what fun the crazies on night shift can be. Where else could you hear about Drunks trying to get in hotels or snakes falling out of trees in the dead of night. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @colleen_mairead_xo - What work do you do that keeps you up all weekend?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian Did you HAVE to tell him about the snake thing? I almost peed myself when that happened....
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @lilaclovebird - LOL. I did too I was laughing so hard. :smile: Besides, She probably has some good stories too given that she is on nights. :wink:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @colleen_mairead_xo I'm a 911 dispatcher with a 2-3-2 schedule, straight nights. Welcome!!!

@lilaclovebird It was kinda funny...lol
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Hey, it could have been worse. It didn't bite you. :wink:
  • BodyByBex
    Options

This is true.

And when I'm older and looking back on that adrenaline filled moment, where I screamed so loud the sheep probably heard me at the large animal compound, I may laugh as well. :blush:

But for now, I will remain obstinate. NOT funny. :angry:
  • Loves2Lift
    Loves2Lift Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    TGIM everyone that just worked the weekend!!! :D
  • jennifer_417
    Options

This is true.

And when I'm older and looking back on that adrenaline filled moment, where I screamed so loud the sheep probably heard me at the large animal compound, I may laugh as well. :blush:

But for now, I will remain obstinate. NOT funny. :angry:

That's ok, we'll laugh for you until then!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @Jennifer_417 LOVE the new profile pic!

Ya'll can laugh as much as ya want. SSP laughs at me ALL the time. Mostly, because I've become a huge klutz. It's only gotten worse as I've been losing weight. :unamused:

Can someone explain the phenomenon?

@LosinIt84 Yup it's Monday. My week isn't over yet. I work Monday night AND Tuesday night. Then Wednesday I'm off but THURSDAY, I'm off AND I can drink ALL the wine!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You only think you'll be off. They will call you in because the other person called in sick. :smile:

@jennifer_417 - Nice photo. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    And I JUST received a request from SSP to go to his place TODAY and see him and I can't because my dad STILL doesn't have his FREAKING driver's license because of the DUMB lady at the DMV who looks for ANY possible flaw in your paperwork to NOT do her job.

*puts on cranky pants*

UGH! That is IT! Wednesday, I'm taking him to Pflugerville, that DMV is ALWAYS empty and he is getting his DAMN LICENSE before I KILL SOMEONE!

I haven't seen SSP outside of work in almost a friggen MONTH! I'm TIRED of having to take his *kitten* grocery shopping when it's convenient for HIM!
    Because it's SO hard to be ready RIGHT when I get home at 7:30am to go shopping. I set the coffee pot up every night and it starts brewing coffee at 6 am! But I STILL have to wait for him to take a shower, shave, get dressed, and put his freaking shoes on.
    In the meantime, he's been awake since 5:30am and hasn't even made the grocery list yet! He gripes about going to the store so early and has a big wondering attitude about how it's crazy the store is even open at 7 anyway...HELLO! It OPENS at 6 AM!!!! If I had the household expense credit card, I would make the grocery list and do the shopping myself on my way home and have all the groceries put away and be in the shower before he would even come out of his office! BAH!

/end rant

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Make him give you the list and a credit card the night before or you won't go. Tell him starting next week, that's how it's going to be.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I really want to apologize a little for my last post.... I just REALLY needed to get that out.

It's driving me freaking NUTS how hard it has been to get my dad his freaking driver's license.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Make him give you the list and a credit card the night before or you won't go. Tell him starting next week, that's how it's going to be.

I would do this, but there's also the whole 'beer run' thing I'm still doing for my uncle and just getting my dad his driver's license eliminates all of that.

Finally, the gas I spend MY hard earned money on will be used only for things I need or want to go do.