Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I really want to apologize a little for my last post.... I just REALLY needed to get that out.

It's driving me freaking NUTS how hard it has been to get my dad his freaking driver's license.

Aww, it's ok, sometimes life gets really frustrating!

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am extremely frustrated that I have been trying to schedule outside of work time with SSP and it just has NOT been going the way I want at all.
    To add to my frustration, SSP wants to have some spontaneity in things and keeps propping up with impromptu times we could hang out, and I have to say no because my dad doesn't have a driver's license still and I have to drive him and my uncle everywhere.

My schedule is SO FULL and every time I try to rearrange things something comes up to ruin all of my plans. Here's looking at YOU Carlos(@$$hat who called in yesterday).

The worst part is I'm afraid he will stop asking for those impromptu moments because I've said no so many times. I worry that one time I might say yes, to keep that from happening, and I'll miss out on a bunch of sleep and that will make him feel guilty and not ask for those times anymore.

I just want to curl up in a bubble bath and cry. I feel like I work so hard to make up for my mother's absence and it just never goes my way sometimes. Then, when my mother is here, I have time to actually SEE SSP and I can't because I feel guilty leaving my mom because I don't get to see her that often.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    You know, Families have an interesting way of getting over things with time. If you explain to your mom that you really like this guy, she will be more than happy to give up some time for him.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    You know, Families have an interesting way of getting over things with time. If you explain to your mom that you really like this guy, she will be more than happy to give up some time for him.

This next time she comes, I might do that. Because she heard me on the phone explaining to SSP that family is very important to me and as much as I wanted to see him, I needed to spend time with my mom.
    His response was very understanding and my mother REALLY likes that about him. Plus the Funyuns story showing how thoughtful he can be has definitely won him some brownie points, even though they haven't met yet. :blush:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Here's how I'd think about it: In a dating relationship, you really need to spend time with that person to keep the relationship, and to keep it moving forward, you need to spend time with that person consistently. Later on, once the relationship is more cemented, this becomes somewhat less vital, because the groundwork has been laid. As far as a parent/child relationship, the foundation has long since been laid, so it's a bit easier to make it a bit less of a priority to spend time with them.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @jennifer_417 - Wise. :smile:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I got 8.5 hours! I'll be honest...it was thanks to a (perfectly within reason) large dose of sleeping pills...but hey...I slept. I did wake up (I'm guessing around the fiver mark) but didn't wake all alert like normal so I was able to fall back asleep. Yay!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I usually wake up early so I don't often set an alarm My daughter had to come wake me up. She came in with the urgency of a house on fire. "Daddy! You need to get up! It's 4:45 and you need to get up!" I had to laugh. :smile:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Laughing after being woken up by someone...huh. I'm unfamiliar with this concept...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I have spent ALLLLL night ONLY watching this fire panel in the office at work. With no internet, no cell phone service, no functioning land lines, and no way to contact Houston over the radio. Someone cut an AT&T optic wire and messed us up BAAAAD.

Now we have radio, cell phones, and we HAD external dialing(our 5 digit phone system was down) but the UT tech guy told Jen(our tech girl) to do a hard reset of the lines and NOW we can't even dial 911 on the work phones! WTF?! We just worked so hard to get there, even did test calls to 911, and we are now one step backwards!

Jen and I both want to go stabby on this guy... :angry:

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    That isn't good. What where they doing when they cut the optic line?
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Holy pain in the neck, Batman! I would not want to spend my ENTIRE shift staring at 1 thing. Actually, I'm not entire sure I'm actually capable of doing that!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I got 8.5 hours! I'll be honest...it was thanks to a (perfectly within reason) large dose of sleeping pills...but hey...I slept. I did wake up (I'm guessing around the fiver mark) but didn't wake all alert like normal so I was able to fall back asleep. Yay!

Eh, I take them every day. I don't love it, but it is what it is. Also, I as gonna ask, do you ever take St. John's Wort? I find it to be somewhat helpful with anxiety.

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Great day out on the fat tire bikes. Now back to work. Wish I didn't have to eat or wear clothes or live anywhere. I wouldn't work. :laugh:
  • BodyByBex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    They are doing some construction and poured concrete onto a conduit and it ended up crushing everything. The wire went to a satellite and radio tower so communications for Smithville were shot all to hell. Huge amounts of people were affected, Giddings, Rosanky, parts of Bastrop, Austin, Houston and even Dallas were affected.

No cell phone service, no internet, no radios (thank goodness Bastrop County and Fire were diverted to another system earlier this year), no land lines. It was the biggest crapshoot ever!

Of course no one figured out where the problem was until the concrete was mostly dry already! I have this strong feeling that some one DEFINITELY got fired over this. Jen and I worked all night to get communications up and running. We were in contact with the construction repair crews via satellite phone and with us being on fire watch for Fayettville, Bastrop, and the surrounding counties it was a big deal. There was virtually no way for anyone to call for help unless you could MAYBE get 1 bar of cell service somewhere(which I had on one end of the office next to the fire panel).

Thankfully, I never lost radio contact with our Bastrop campus and they were fully functional. So if anything happened I could have them call and dispatch fire or EMS to our Smithville campus if we needed it.

We had everything up and running by 7:15 this morning. Juuuust in time for my date with SSP. Which went SUPER well btw. :grin:

ETA: I just received word this afternoon that my mother will be returning from Anna, TX permanently on the 28th of this month. I am SO excited that some of this load will be taken off of my shoulders and I can focus more on doing what I need to do to get where I want to be with my own life and relationships.

I am very sad that we will be losing my cousin/aunt Sheri to her third battle with breast cancer, but the recent news tells us that the clinical trial she is currently a part of is helping enough to where her daughter-in-law can take over her care. Sheri is becoming more and more independent and should live longer than we initially expected!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I just have an hour and a half and then TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF!

After dealing with the hell that was last night, I need it. That glass of wine might be calling my name 1 day early, nausea be damned!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah! Glad to hear your mother is coming back. Hope you get some time to spend with SSP. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird I'm playing catch up. I'm sorry you're having to handle all that stuff and I'm stoked your date went well!!

How's everyone doing this evening?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    After taking 3 days off, I started my Monday tonight and so far it's a slow and quiet night. Usually I struggle on my first night back from my weekend but I am doing ok so far. I did my first mud obstacle race few days ago with a few girls from MFP. It was fun!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's been a crazy night. Absolutely dead for the first six hours and now it won't let up. Now I remember why I dislike Fair week. Yes, we have our county fair going on right now and I'm taking the kids tomorrow. :smile: