Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    After taking 3 days off, I started my Monday tonight and so far it's a slow and quiet night. Usually I struggle on my first night back from my weekend but I am doing ok so far. I did my first mud obstacle race few days ago with a few girls from MFP. It was fun!

I am SO jelly right now. I want to meet people from MFP in real life!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    This is my last night shift. We sold our house in MD, and I am getting ready to move next week to Mississippi to be with my husband, whose job sent him there in Feb. These last few months have been unbearable, but it's almost over. Of course, it's super busy here in the lab tonight. Good luck to everyone.

I'me preeeety sure they all just slack off during day shift so you can do everything @MadDogManor. They want to run you ragged right before you leave.

I hope your night went well and that your move happens in a quick and smooth manner.
  • paul199madrid
    paul199madrid Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ughhhhh good ole graveyard *kitten* this should be illegal!!
    Most of us on here work nights because we prefer it!

Lucky you I rotate shifts so I can't enjoy just one .

• paul199madrid
    Options

Yes it should!!!
    Thank you!!
  • BodyByBex
    edited August 2015
    Options

That kind of constant shifting in sleep schedule has been shown in multiple studies to be horrible for your overall health.

@SongDragon Definitely let your concerns be known. I know that if I get less than 6 hours of sleep before a shift, I am far less effective in my duties. Be informative about your commute and how long it takes you to typically wind down after a shift to actually go to sleep. Also assure your supervisor that you don't mind the overtime if it's an emergency and required because no other help can be found.

That has definitely helped our department. We now try to limit double shifts if we can by splitting the difference between other workers. Calling the next shift asking if someone would be willing to come in 4 hours early or to come in on their day off.
    Now, someone calls in and we typically only have the person on shift working another 4 hours before they are sent home and someone is in place to relieve them.
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Hmm....maybe you should squeak a little more? That sounds like a real pain, I hate turnarounds!

I suppose so. Or at least make sure I put it in writing every month so that when it's ignored I have something to squeak about.

@MadDogManor Glad you're getting on your way. My boyfriend of six years lives in Toronto. I need to work on immigration, but I am getting impatient to live together again.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Five hours down, 57 to go. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Pffft. You win. Like always. :*

• jennifer_417
    Options

That is a tough one. I've done it. Now I attend college full time during the week, and work 3 10-hr shifts on the weekend. You gotta be super disciplined about getting enough sleep, or you'll be homicidal and/or suicidal in no time.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @bethanie0825 @sufferlandrian @Jennifer_417 @Frankie_Felinius

I feel like a bunch of whiners invaded our thread. I enjoy nightshift/graveyard/third shift. It serves a purpose. For me, my job serves the purpose of safety as does that of several others. @sufferlandrian saves lives in times of ultimate darkness for many families. @jennifer_417 and @Frankie_Felinius both provide services for the oh-so-weary traveler, if not for people like you there would be many nights I would have been stuck sleeping in my car.

For the most part, the people here like what we do. We don't complain about the shift so much as some of the crazy things we have to deal with because, for some reason, the sun goes down and people go all crazy.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

At least you can take naps @sufferlandrian!

Oh and thanks for the tip on the muscle milk, it's really helping. I worked out HARD today and I'm not NEARLY as ravenous and I have been before.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    @jennifer_417 - May have another vet coming in the end of March. Then I won't always win. :smile:

@paul199madrid - I did that rotating shift thing when I was younger. Those were brutal. You have my sympathy.
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @paul199madrid I actually rotate, too. Though most don't normally do overnights. Weekend overnights are mine. Monday and Friday are typically my off days.

@lilaclovebird This isn't overtime. Or an accident in scheduling. I've worked overtime, but this is my boss being lazy when she does the schedule. It's easier to have one person work 16 hours than juggle whom to schedule when the 4-12 shouldn't need to be in for 8 a.m. Though she has done that, too. It's an ongoing issue since I take a long time to wind down and really don't sleep well in the summer during long daylight hours.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That has definitely helped our department. We now try to limit double shifts if we can by splitting the difference between other workers. Calling the next shift asking if someone would be willing to come in 4 hours early or to come in on their day off.
    Now, someone calls in and we typically only have the person on shift working another 4 hours before they are sent home and someone is in place to relieve them.

I wish that worked n my job. They won't do a split. It's double or... double. They don't care how long it takes home, etc. Oh, and you're not properly rested after a double? Why not? We gave you 8 hours off!
  • paul199madrid
    Options
    Yeah it's tough but I am thankful and I'm sure we all our thankful for a job.
  • BodyByBex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SongDragon wrote: »
    @paul199madrid I actually rotate, too. Though most don't normally do overnights. Weekend overnights are mine. Monday and Friday are typically my off days.

@lilaclovebird This isn't overtime. Or an accident in scheduling. I've worked overtime, but this is my boss being lazy when she does the schedule. It's easier to have one person work 16 hours than juggle whom to schedule when the 4-12 shouldn't need to be in for 8 a.m. Though she has done that, too. It's an ongoing issue since I take a long time to wind down and really don't sleep well in the summer during long daylight hours.

Well then that is just smurfing smurfy! Pardon my language..... If you're in charge of the schedule then you need to DO YOUR SMURFING JOB! That means juggling and dancing around and figuring what works consistently.

I feel your pain. My last job had a boss like that. Could never understand why I balked about it and then when I told her what was wrong, and she didn't fix it, I would point it out and she would say either "Oh, I forgot." or tell me she was considering writing me up for insubordination....I hated that job. Not just the scheduling thing either.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Yup! I've been unemployed before, and that sucks way worse!

• BodyByBex
    Options
    Yup! I've been unemployed before, and that sucks way worse!

I'm thankful I'm not a firefighter in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, OR Northern California right now.....
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    SongDragon wrote: »

Well then that is just smurfing smurfy! Pardon my language..... If you're in charge of the schedule then you need to DO YOUR SMURFING JOB! That means juggling and dancing around and figuring what works consistently.

I feel your pain. My last job had a boss like that. Could never understand why I balked about it and then when I told her what was wrong, and she didn't fix it, I would point it out and she would say either "Oh, I forgot." or tell me she was considering writing me up for insubordination....I hated that job. Not just the scheduling thing either.

It sounds like she never intended to change anything, and just didn't have the cahones to tell you! Ugh!!!!!
  • paul199madrid
    Options
    My schedule sucks it's 7-2-7-2-7-3