Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I read the Hobbit in 5th grade at the urging of a teacher I had a crush on at the time, Mr. Nettles. He was a cyclist and shaved his legs and everyone thought that was weird. I thought it was awesome that someone would do something so 'out of the ordinary' for their hobby and I think that is where brains and a passion for something became one of the main factors in my attraction to a person.

Then in 6th grade we were having it read TO us during lunch and various study breaks in 6th grade.
    Ms. Heedum had to stop reading it because a lot of the kids complained that it was 'too boring' and switched it out for Harry Potter.

I reread it and wrote a small essay on it in 7th grade and started branching out into all sorts of books and I would get made fun of a lot for reading in class when I didn't have to.

In high school, I was made fun of for doing the reading assignments, relating to the characters and being able to sympathize with them, my ability to do basic math equations and solve linear functions in my head, and of COURSE something about my physical appearance that the girls LOVED picking on me for, my large breasts.

In math, my tormentors received backlash from the teachers and other students. I mostly felt ashamed that I never made an attempt to defend myself.
    In English and literature courses, NO ONE came to my defense. My intellect was belittled and I let it affect my work and it eventually affected my grades.
    My ability to sympathize with multiple people and put myself in their shoes made me an excellent drama student but got me shunned in Social Studies when I could side with 'the enemy' and see their perspective.

I still have many disagreements with my father in regards to the Nazis. It doesn't occur to him that there are many who only did what they were told in an effort to save their own families and themselves. It's not so easy to speak up when everyone else will readily stand against you to save their own skin. I see both perspectives, the tortured and the torturers. Both sides suffer and no one really wins in the end.
    I definitely side with Corrie Ten Boom and her witnessing and believing that those who are able to forgive are best able to rebuild their lives. I believe it also goes for forgiving yourself for your own wrong doings.

ETA: And insight into my life.... :blush:

I went through a lot of bullying as a kid, too. As an adult, I've come to realize that people tend to go after anything they consider "different." This doesn't always change when they become adults.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I got bullied to for glasses, braces, and apparently short hair automatically made me a lesbian. Kids are cruel.

I love reading. I haven't read the Hobbit only bc it's not my thing. I've thought about diving into the Games of Thrones books. I wish more people read so they could empathize and realize there's more to life than their narrow view.

And did I mention they aren't teaching kids cursive anymore? They can't read historical documents not can they sign their name for anything. My stepson can't even read my writing and I write a combo of print and cursive. And they write how they speak and text. It's a sad state @belimawr
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I'm glad my favorite class comes on Monday morning, makes it a bit easier to transition from work to school.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I got bullied to for glasses, braces, and apparently short hair automatically made me a lesbian. Kids are cruel.

I love reading. I haven't read the Hobbit only bc it's not my thing. I've thought about diving into the Games of Thrones books. I wish more people read so they could empathize and realize there's more to life than their narrow view.

And did I mention they aren't teaching kids cursive anymore? They can't read historical documents not can they sign their name for anything. My stepson can't even read my writing and I write a combo of print and cursive. And they write how they speak and text. It's a sad state @belimawr

I love cursive! I have a difficult time reading it sometimes but I write in it in my journal almost every day!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I'm glad my favorite class comes on Monday morning, makes it a bit easier to transition from work to school.

I only hope I get as lucky when I go back to school. Although, my classes will mostly start out online.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    If love to go back but I don't know what for. Maybe emergency management. I have a BA in criminal justice but I'm not using it in 911. And I owe enough student loans as it is :/ that being said, I miss school. I loved the challenge, loved learning.

I'm spending my night at work on Pinterest. We haven't had anything so far but I hope it stays that way.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The cursive thing bothers me, too! How will they sign their names? But I'm like @bethanie0825, I use a combo of print and cursive but I CAN write in complete cursive. It is harder for me to read though too @lilaclovebird.

I was a voracious reader back in the day. I remember reading way beyond my level...for book reports, one book I'd read would count for FOUR books because I wasn't reading what the other kids were. I don't read as much nowadays, sadly. Reading Mamrie's book recently made me want to get back on it though because while I was reading...I was pretty engulfed in it...not lost in my whirlwind head...as much. We have a huuuge bookcase full of books and I looove going to Goodwill and buying books for dirt cheap. Our kid probably owns 200 or so books of her own. They say the number of books in the house directly relates to a child's reading capacity, vocabulary, setc. My kiddo is set! We have A LOT of books in our house! We've read to her every single day since birth...and it shows. Her vocabulary is insane. She told people she was sweltering the other day. She told me she was going to try to be more proactive with something yesterday. She does not sound like a FIVE year old! I always say I might not be the "smartest" person but I know about so much stuff...and I learned it all from reading!

@lilaclovebird The deep empathy I feel ya on. I hate people...or more so interacting with them...but I deeply feel for others and I am always putting myself in others' shoes, not even on purpose. It is quite a point of contention for my fiance and I. He is like your dad, I'm guessing. Can't see others', especially the "enemy", point of view or position. It doesn't mean I condone their behavior/beliefs but I can see why people are compelled to do the things they do. I hate child molesters...but THEY don't want to be a child molester...they aren't CHOOSING it...they can't help it. Does that mean I'm lenient or soft on their crimes? No! But I get it...it is just as much a mental illness as anything else. Would I prefer they off them all? I do...I'm a mom of a little girl. I hate them. But I get it. Do I hate Middle Eastern people? No! What about all those people in those countries who have NOTHING to do with the war??? Old people and children in the middle of nowhere and war was brought to them? If I'm just living my life here in Illinois and war comes to me...I'm the bad guy automatically because I exist here even though I had ZERO to do with it? That makes no sense. Do I hate terrorists? Of course. But do I also get that they TRULY believe in whatever they are fighting for. Yes. Doesn't mean I agree with it but I GET that other people can be so passionate over something they think is right. My fiance thinks this means I sympathize with them...no, I EMPATHIZE with them. I don't feel BAD for people...I FEEL what they feel if I were them. Not everyone carries that burden of having deep empathy @lilaclovebird and it is difficult for us to undertand HOW others don't, isn't it?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Not everyone carries that burden of having deep empathy @lilaclovebird and it is difficult for us to undertand HOW others don't, isn't it?

This.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I am shrinking again and I am DREADING clothes shopping...and just shopping in general..I don't want to spend my own money. But I don't want a sugar daddy either.

:bawling: I don't wanna hafta! :bawling:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I like HAVING nice clothes, but BUYING them can be such a pain...not to mention an emotional mine field.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Not everyone carries that burden of having deep empathy @lilaclovebird and it is difficult for us to undertand HOW others don't, isn't it?

This.

I definitely know this feeling, too. Empathy is such an inborn thing, I'm not sure people not born with it can ever develop it. Some people have the ability to see things in black and white, some of us see all the shades of gray. I think both have their pros and cons.

• BodyByBex
    Options
    I like HAVING nice clothes, but BUYING them can be such a pain...not to mention an emotional mine field.

And sometimes you get out of bra shopping with a "I got some nice stuff. Whatever." feeling and other times you storm out with your bags CRYING because you can not BELIEVE you're a (insert miscellaneous size here)!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I was ignorant...it can cause a lot of undue stress and emotional issues being so concerned or bothered by things...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I was ignorant...it can cause a lot of undue stress and emotional issues being so concerned or bothered by things...

Yup.

I am SO tempted to make my first YouTube video about that stupid Dear Fat People video by Nicole Arbor....

But I don't want to give her anymore attention...

Instead, I think I will work on my own health and fitness and become absorbed in Hannah Hart recipes I wanna do.
  • bethanie0825
    Options

Yes.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    This would sound terrible to a lot of people, but there are times when I've thought that being smart isn't all that great, for some reason it seems to cause a lot of extra problems.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    My fiance and I have often expressed that same feeling @jennifer_417. We're both smart and it really makes us feel bad that we ARE smart but aren't successful or motivated to be successful and KNOWING that kills us. If we were dumb and/or ignorant...we wouldn't feel so badly! Also we're smart enough to understand our mental illness issues and know what would IDEAL for us and we are smart enough to know what exacerbates issues or makes them better...but that doesn't mean we DO it. Again, if we were dumb and/or ignorant, we'd still be unhappy...but as is we are regular unhappy compounded by unhappy because we continue to be unhappy despite knowing better!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I went very mod '60s with my look tonight...I remember why I don't do that on the daily. I suck at beehives, I dislike lower lid eyeliner and I cannot pull off a super pale pink lip.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I was at Wal-mart grocery shopping today and I saw a MINT FRINGED PURSE. I love mint. I love fringe (I wore soooo much fringed crap as a child). I kept going on and on about how I wanted it but it wasn't "pinup". My kiddo goes "Mama...not everything HAS to be pinup!" Point taken. I am now the proud proud owner of a fringed mint purse!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I went very mod '60s with my look tonight...I remember why I don't do that on the daily. I suck at beehives, I dislike lower lid eyeliner and I cannot pull off a super pale pink lip.

I feel like a boss because I BRAIDED my ponytail before I put it in a bun. Normally, I just throw it straight into a bun. :sunglasses: