Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I was at Wal-mart grocery shopping today and I saw a MINT FRINGED PURSE. I love mint. I love fringe (I wore soooo much fringed crap as a child). I kept going on and on about how I wanted it but it wasn't "pinup". My kiddo goes "Mama...not everything HAS to be pinup!" Point taken. I am now the proud proud owner of a fringed mint purse!

Your child is Ah-Mazing!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    She really is.

There are many days I cover the whole mess with a bandana and call it a day!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I am such an idget. After my shoulder got jacked up the other day, I took an Aleve for the next two days. Ooooonly to remember I was supposed to quit taking them 5 days before my colonoscopy this Wednesday. Shizz! I need to call today and ask if I need to reschedule...again! I took them on day 5 and day 4. It's like I'm doing it subconsciously...like I don't want a scoped shoved up my butt or something...oh, wait...I don't...but I swear I'm not sabotaging on purpose!!! I really want to get this over with so I can get some answers, quit stressing about it and get back on my lemon balm!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Oh man, mabye you should make a big sign and stick it on your fridge or something! Hope it doesn't get delayed again!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Hey has anone hears from @ sufferlandrian?
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have often expressed that same feeling @jennifer_417. We're both smart and it really makes us feel bad that we ARE smart but aren't successful or motivated to be successful and KNOWING that kills us. If we were dumb and/or ignorant...we wouldn't feel so badly! Also we're smart enough to understand our mental illness issues and know what would IDEAL for us and we are smart enough to know what exacerbates issues or makes them better...but that doesn't mean we DO it. Again, if we were dumb and/or ignorant, we'd still be unhappy...but as is we are regular unhappy compounded by unhappy because we continue to be unhappy despite knowing better!

...this doesn't sound the LEAST bit familiar to me AT ALL. :)

y'know what exacerbates this thing you guys are talking about?

you invest time and effort in acquiring intelligence, in broadening your horizons, in making yourself the best you can be on an intellectual basis, because the rewards are...uhhmm....wait, what ARE the rewards, exactly?

that's right...in today's economy - you know, the one that finds us living in a world of hedge fund managers and Wal-Mart greeters with nothing in between? yeah, THAT economy - we watch inferior folks rise past us on the food chain because they went to school with this guy, or because they married that guys' son or daughter...and it's demoralizing and demotivating.

so i find myself inclined to agree with you guys...i WISH i were thick enough to be blissfully content binge-watching Duck Dynasty until it was time to hop into my three-colored, thirty year old pickup truck with the "Don't Tread On Me" bumper sticker to drive over to a late-night booty call with my first cousin.

life is somehow simpler when you're oblivious to the pitfalls.

On an unrelated note, it seems like all my initial contributions to this thread sound like they might've been written by Michael Douglas' character in "Falling Down"...i'm actually a pretty nice guy with a decent sense of humor. It's just been a pretty *kitten* year, and I guess I'm kinda wearing it on my sleeve these days.

Sorry 'bout that.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @sufferlandrian did some biking a few days ago but nothing else has shown up on my wall.

I can't do anything with my hair, except straighten it and pony tail it. I have no idea how to roll it although YouTube has great videos showing how.

@hamptontom no worries :) we take turns venting here.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    @hamptontom -it's hard not to focus on all the negative in the world when you're going through a rough time. Hang in there, it'll get better.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hey has anone hears from @ sufferlandrian?

Yeah I was just wondering this myself as I logged in as he makes fairly regular posts.

@Frankie_Felinius about not being able to sign their names, I really think that corporations only see benefit from the common folk not being able to sign their names. They can use that to push their agendas. No signature, just do everything electronically, and therefore the corporations gain even more control.

Huxley's world, I believe we're already in it, but it works a bit differently. Rather than being bred the way people were, our family's status - economic and social - determines if we're "alpha", "beta", whatever. One really doesn't get ahead in any other way. It's difficult to change, and for the most part we just live with that system, not many of us try to change it. Oh, and Soma? Television (I'll throw YouTube in there too, same mind numbing stuff), of course. For that matter, Bradbury's vision isn't that far away from becoming a way of life either.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    Jen and Bethanie - I hear you. There's a thin line between commiserating and venting sometimes, and I'm not even sure which side of it I fell on with that rant. :)

Jen - you sing? (and if it makes your skin crawl when people call you "Jen", now would be a good time to bring that up...)
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I do sing a little -but if you're referring to the pic in my profile, I am actually participation in a poetry slam. And, I prefer Jennifer, but Jen is totally fine, too. Everyone shortens it eventually, it doesn't bother me. :)
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Love the Brave New World reference. Great book.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    Poetry - that's pretty damned brave, I think. I've been a musician all my life, but to walk up there without an instrument and just lay it out there...that takes cajones.

I need to re-read Huxley...haven't read it since high school, which was longer ago than I'm comfortable even thinking about. :)
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. No. I didn't crash my bike or get taken hostage by ISUS. After an 86 hour shift over labor day, three 14 hours shifts and then a 62 hour shift over last weekend, I was cooked. I wasn't riding, logging or much of anything. I was in survival mode grabbing cat naps and mixing 5 hour energy drinks in with my monster Zero Ultras. Got some sleep today so I'm feeling almost human again. Still can't figure out where I hurt my heal, but I'll work on that. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    I thought you guys were referencing 1984 by George Orwell.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

I thought Farenheit 451?

I remember reading that in elementary school...hating it. Re-read it a few years ago....LOOOOOVED it! Has anyone seen the movie? I haven't...I like what was in my head.

Good to hear from ya...I wondered about you myself.

• Frankie_Felinius
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @bethanie0825 Everything I know hair and makeup wise...I learned from YouTube! A lot of practice...but tutorials were a game changer! I am a beauty school dropout...I learned more from free YouTube vids than my $10k half-assed beauty school education...

• bethanie0825
    Options
    So far all of my hair adventures (all 3 of them) have not worked lol. It's so thick I have to use five million bobby pins. Clear elastics don't stand a chance lol. It's a work in progress.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I thought Farenheit 451?

I remember reading that in elementary school...hating it. Re-read it a few years ago....LOOOOOVED it! Has anyone seen the movie? I haven't...I like what was in my head.

Good to hear from ya...I wondered about you myself.

I rarely see movies of good books... they always get ruined.

Yes, I brought up Bradbury as reading books, or reading in general, is falling to the wayside in the name of more instantly-ready-to-be-consumed entertainment.

On my way in to work, saw a teenaged girl, so intent on the videos on her cell phone, crossing a busy street - never looked up when entering, nor while in, the intersection.

@hamptontom fully understood, I do it here too. Unfortunately I'm at an unhappy period, and I do it morethan I like to... thing is I try to stop and fall right back into the spreading of misery, too.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    @belimawr - it may be geographical. i lived in the PHL area from the time i was 23 until last year...half my life. :)