Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    hamptontom wrote: »
    Everyone is laying low tonight. Can't blame anyone, there's nothing going on where I'm at.

last two nights here have been kinda ridiculously busy...hoping for a reprieve tonight, since THE MOVE is underway and I spent a good chunk of my usual sleeping time trekkin' stuff from the old house to the new.

this weekend, we're doing ALL the big stuff, and i'll spend most of next week doing "straggler loads" and cleaning up the old place to appease my angry landlord. :)

What did you do?
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Another uneventful night in my center, nothing now but to countdown to 0530 when it's my weekend off. Which will be spent inside thanks to hurricane whatever-his-name-is.
  • jennifer_417
    I have a test @ 0905, then if I can drive myself home after that, I intend to sleep until I have to work. Tonight, everybody seems tucked in, so Imma study as much as I can make myself. I'm so tired, I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense...
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member

What did you do?

she's just upset that we're not staying another year...which, frankly, just isn't in the cards for me.
  • hamptontom
    I have a test @ 0905, then if I can drive myself home after that, I intend to sleep until I have to work. Tonight, everybody seems tucked in, so Imma study as much as I can make myself. I'm so tired, I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense...

good luck...and don't cram so much that you reach that point where you actually know the answers but start to create doubt in your mind when you're actually answering the questions. :)
  • jennifer_417
    hamptontom wrote: »

good luck...and don't cram so much that you reach that point where you actually know the answers but start to create doubt in your mind when you're actually answering the questions. :)

I have neve studied that much...what is that even like? lol

• jennifer_417
    Oh, please keep trying to tell me that coffee and cigarettes are your only vices...as you stumble around, slur your sentences, and continuously repeat yourself...
  • hamptontom
    Oh, please keep trying to tell me that coffee and cigarettes are your only vices...as you stumble around, slur your sentences, and continuously repeat yourself...

co-worker? guest?
  • jennifer_417
    Rando that wandered in. I think she was homeless.
  • jennifer_417
    Not that I don't have any compassion...just that we're not a homeless shelter, y'know?

Sometimes I feel like I have to be heartless to people at this job, but I've had to realize that this is a buisness, and my job is to protect/promote that. The things here aren't mine to give away.

Bah...fatigue is making me maudlin...I'm sure you all know this stuff.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member

It was Irish coffee. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Guh...why can I not make my brain understand what an action potential is? All the other stuff for this test...no problem. I mean, I get the general concept. Maybe that's enough. Guh.
  • sufferlandrian
    Action potential as in nerve conduction?
  • jennifer_417
    Yup.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,487 Member
    @jennifer_417 Good Luck!!!!! And I've lost a lot of compassion working 911. It seems like it shouldn't be that way but I just don't have a lot of sympathy left for people who won't help themselves out whatever situation they're in.

And hurricane what's-his-name is now looking like he's going to stay well offshore. Now if the rest of this rain would move out, we'd be good to go.
  • deathfromtexas
    deathfromtexas Posts: 158 Member
    Try smart water
  • jennifer_417
    @jennifer_417 Good Luck!!!!! And I've lost a lot of compassion working 911. It seems like it shouldn't be that way but I just don't have a lot of sympathy left for people who won't help themselves out whatever situation they're in.

And hurricane what's-his-name is now looking like he's going to stay well offshore. Now if the rest of this rain would move out, we'd be good to go.

Well, I still have that hammer handy. I may just hit myself in the head with it if it doesn't become more emminently useful.

• hamptontom
    Not that I don't have any compassion...just that we're not a homeless shelter, y'know?

Sometimes I feel like I have to be heartless to people at this job, but I've had to realize that this is a buisness, and my job is to protect/promote that. The things here aren't mine to give away.

Bah...fatigue is making me maudlin...I'm sure you all know this stuff.

these days, you have to choose your battles, where compassion is concerned. it's in short supply as it is, and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you squander it.
  • sufferlandrian
    It's not as complicated as is sounds. An action potential is simple the ability to conducted an electrical signal down an axon. It's made possible by the difference in electrolytes like Na and Potassium across a semipermeable membrane. Think of it like dye dropped into a glass. Diffusion says the dye wants to spread evenly across the water in the glass. If you have a semipermeable membrane, it keeps that from happening. With a nerve, a stimulation makes the membrane more permeable and it allows the electrolytes to cross the membrane. Because they are charged particles (Na is a positive ion, K is a positive ion etc.) it makes the axon act like an electrical charge is moving down the membrane. That charge gives the nerve the potential to make things do work. The strength of that charge is the action potential. it's short lived and Na:K pumps are needed to recharge the potential.
  • sufferlandrian
    How much stimulation is needed to start the wave of electrical charge is what makes the threshold for the action potential. Some nerves have low thresholds so they fire quickly, others like deep pain nerves don't fire quite so quickly but when they do, you know they were lit up.