Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    We have the same problem bethanie, well, sort of. Instead of throwing it out, someone (usually an "extra" worker, someone filling in for someone who's absent) goes through the fridge and eats other people's food... labeled or not. Nothing like coming back to find your food eaten.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Our main gate at Bastrop is broken down, not functioning, totally not working. I mean in the sense of NOT letting people in, it's doing a bang up job....unfortunately, I NEED IN HERE!
    I called the guy who is on-call for problems like this and he didn't answer, so I called Old Faithful AKA Mr. Jay and he says he's on his way. But he's not even on-call this week!

Jay answered his phone on the third ring.
    I called ALL of Scott's numbers and his pager AND sent him an email and he didn't answer.

IMO Jay deserves a freaking raise. Like a BIG one.
  • BodyByBex
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This is a TWO glasses of win WINE when I get home kind of day.... :weary:
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    This is where you need a big truck. ;)
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I'm taking a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow!
    I am not doing SMURF!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow!
    I am not doing SMURF!

Sounds ahmazing!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @jennifer_417 I hope it is. I plan on starting with sleep and then continuing with sleep and then maybe follow it up with some of that great stuff I keep hearing about, sleep.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heyyyyyo.

Chicago was great, the show we -- I mean, I -- went to (more on that later) was AWESOME! Sang and danced until I was hoarse and sore. Soooo...I have the BIGGEST crush on the lead singer...and my fiance is well aware of that...likes to tease me about it. We are at the bar next door for a pre-party kinda thing and I see HIM outside of the bar! (The first night I saw them I had a good 45 min drunken convo with him...o.m.g.) He ends up coming in and sitting at the bar for an hour or so...while I hypervenilate and stare and drool from a booth. I walked past him a few times to go to the back room and on the way back once I kinda got stuck behind him...like inches behind him...so I was a total creep and touched him...he didn't even know...but I did. What a effin' creep I am. :p Anyway...we parked at a metered spot and knew we'd have to feed the meter prior to the show. Well, we forgot. My fiance remembered maybe 20 minutes into the show...so he goes to feed it. The venue didn't allow re-entry. So he wandered around Chicago for the next couple hours. He isn't the biggest fan of the band and I'm in my own world when I'm there so it was actually fine...he had fun...ate my leftovers ( @bethanie0825 I FEEL ya...they were for MY three hour drive home...after being awake 20+hours!). I also hit a Lush and we went to Lagunitas (our favorite brewery). It was a great trip!

On Saturday my kiddo went to a school Halloween party and wore the witch costume! It held up great! No decent pics but I'll get some on Halloween.

The next day I woke up in the pissiest mood. I decided instead of sitting at home and pouting all day, the tater tot and I would go to a state park about 45 min north that has a 2/3 ish story castle tower and lots of pretty trees. I was having pretty severe ibs symptoms but managed to somewhat turn my mood around...but by the time we got home...I was feeling like the flu was on it's way...achy, chills, my skin hurt with every touch. Slept. Woke up feeling horrible still but went to work because I'd be miserable at home or at work so I might as well get paid. Made it through the night, dropped the kiddo off at school and slept all day. I feel a lot better now, still loopy and out of it but I'm pretty sure it isn't the flu. So weird. I was like, 99% sure it was the flu...you know THAT feeling. I've heard about "24 hour bugs" but never really felt anything like that...very intensely crappy feeling but for such a short duration. Not so sure now...I wonder if the ibs attack had anything to do with it...a little tmi but hey.

Also had a funny convo with Elka at the park...we are up on a bluff with a gorgeous panoramic view. She says "This looks like something Bar Broth painted". I said "Who?" "Broth, the painter with the puffy hair and big board" "Broth? Like Campbell's soup? Andy Warhol?" "NO! He has the big board that he paints ON...Broth!" "Not soup?" "NO! His NAME sounds like broth!" Ladies and gents...I realized hours later...Bob Ross. Puffy hair...lol.

And I have purple hair now. I wasn't feeling the pink...or what was left of it. Three washes in and it was the same pinky/peachy shade as my skin and that wasn't flattering. So I mixed a little pink, a little purple, a little pasterlizer...and I'm a pretty shade of purple now!

On the way home from the park, we stopped by this old general store that I went to as a child with my grandparents. I ended up buying my fiance one of those lady stripper pens. My grandpa had a pen collection growing up and he had a few of those...such nostalgia, lol! I also bought my fiance a Valentine's present from there when we were first together...it was a clay/porcelain? hand flipping the bird, meant to be hung on the wall. It hangs in the garage today!

Update on our pooch. He is doing better than ever. His appetite is voracious! He's never been a big eater or very food motivated (he got grossed out by all of the hot dogs during training classes...what dog DOES that?) but now he will eat his entire bowl of food then lick it clean...walk away...go back and lick it some more. He hounds under the table like crazy now while we're eating dinner, he only did that once in awhile before. His foot has zero swelling, he smells less like a Frito than ever before...he is just doing so great!

• BodyByBex
    Options
    WOW! @Frankie_Felinius This makes me want to take my 3 day weekend and have an adventure!
    Sounds like everyone had a BLAST!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Damn peeps and their love of food! :D Sounds like a great time and I love the hair!! And yay for your doggie!!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Well. I guess I couldn't stay away forever. Back to work. :smile:
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    y2exo1s5zhr2.jpeg
    Love him
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    So, I WAS going to take tonight off. I put the paperwork in and everything.
    Then I checked my e-mail at about 10:30 this morning and one of our other night shift people had his mother die. So I couldn't in good conscience take the night off. So now I'm working tonight, off tomorrow and working my other day off on Thursday. YAY OVERTIME!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    So, I'm gearing up to take the ASVAB and giving some serious thought to joining the armed forces. I know, bad timing. But I've spoken to too many people who look back and wish they had joined and many veterans who are so grateful that they did.
    I would rather have regrets for things I DID do and learn from it, than have regrets for things I did NOT do. I have 17 pounds to go before I'm even at the maximum weight to join up, and while they have weight loss programs, I'm confident I can get there myself in several months.
    My dad is telling me not to(21 years in the U.S. Navy) and my mother is being open about the idea(4 years U.S. Navy).

I have not told the guy I'm currently dating because 1) We've gone on ONE date and 2) We've only gone on ONE date. If it becomes a relationship type thing while I'm continuing on the weight loss journey I may ask for his input.

I've gotten some GREAT tips from my Lieutenant and others on how to proceed and I'm looking forward and focusing in the long term.
    If I continue down the career path that I have chosen, military experience will help me get promoted. If I DON'T pick something related to my current career path, I can also get a military position where I learn skills that will translate well back into civilian life. OR (my father's worst fear) I might really enjoy it and make a career out of it.

Things I know now:
    1) Take the ASVAB and shop around. Don't pick a branch yet unless you REALLY feel an affiliation with it and feel you HAVE TO be a _____.
    2) Get it in writing. Nothing is guaranteed unless it is in your contract.
    3) Be on the look out for YOURSELF. Recruiters are great, but they are there to do a job and they do not care about you.
    4) Be prepared to be considered a S L U T and a W H O R E until you prove otherwise. There will still be rumors, especially if you do well, that you are sleeping around and/or sleeping your way to the top.
    5) Be prepared to have bad supervisors and having to tolerate them for YEARS at a time. If a supervisor doesn't like you, they can and possibly WILL make your life hell. It's not like civilian life where you can quit, walk away, or get away. These people are with you and they have you for 24 hours a day.
    6) You will be pushed to, or past, your limit in boot camp. DO NOT let how you felt through boot camp dictate how your entire military experience will be.
    7) Think about the long term consequences of everything you do.
    8) You can make it the best or the worst experience of your life, but it is all about you and your attitude.

If there is ANYTHING else that anyone can add about their own experience or experiences that they have heard about, I would love more input. I am trying to paint as broad a picture for myself as possible.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Having served in two branches of the military, I can tell you they are very different. They way they build bases says a lot about the service and they way they treat troops. The Army builds headquarters first, then training facilities and then housing. If they run out of money, they ask congress for more to build housing but they are often told they will just have to make due. The Air Force builds Headquarters, then housing, then hangers and runways. If they run out of money they ask congress for more money and how can congress say no? You can't have planes without runways so they get more money.

I always appreciated when it came to housing and facilities and food how the Air Force took care of it's troops. Pretty easy boot camp too. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Having served in two branches of the military, I can tell you they are very different. They way they build bases says a lot about the service and they way they treat troops. The Army builds headquarters first, then training facilities and then housing. If they run out of money, they ask congress for more to build housing but they are often told they will just have to make due. The Air Force builds Headquarters, then housing, then hangers and runways. If they run out of money they ask congress for more money and how can congress say no? You can't have planes without runways so they get more money.

I always appreciated when it came to housing and facilities and food how the Air Force took care of it's troops. Pretty easy boot camp too. :smile:

This is what my cousin Marcus said(just graduated Air Force boot camp). He said the PT was 'disappointing' because he ran 10 miles a day regularly and they were somewhat lax about PT only running 1.5 miles every other day and it was about 8 weeks of boot camp.
    I think it all will depend on my ASVAB scores, figuring out what I want, getting what I want in writing, and how competitive it is to get into the MOS that I want.

I know the Navy has gotten food stores that said 'Rejected by U.S. Air Force', 'Rejected by California State Penitentiary', and 'Accepted by U.S. Navy' all stamped on the paperwork. So I know the Air Force is good with food. :laugh:

ETA: @sufferlandrian Can you tell me a little about what you did in the Air Force?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I was a Mandrin Chinese Linguist. I translated Mandrin Chinese to English. It was a tough job. My English isn't so good. :laugh:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I was a Mandrin Chinese Linguist. I translated Mandrin Chinese to English. It was a tough job. My English isn't so good. :laugh:

That's pretty awesome! What was your score on the ASVAB?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    ASVAB score of 99. I was really hoping for Brazillian since I already spoke it but the military said they would rather teach me Chinese and have me capable of two languages instead. Always remember, the needs of the military come first. It will say so right at the bottom of your enlistment papers.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian I need to study. I took a practice test and didn't do as well as I hoped. I want to score as high as I can so I can (hopefully) do something that might translate well into civilian life.