Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Any personal experiences with sugar substitues like agave nectar, etc? Not artificial ones...the hippie shizz?

Agave nectar was great for my (now ex) husband. He loved it in his coffee. I drink my coffee black. Uhm..recipes were kinda iffy because of it's liquidy-ness. My mom likes splenda and I used it in baking just to get the MASSIVE BAG out of the pantry.

Regular sugar for me usually. I don't crave a lot of sweet things normally. I'm typically a salty/savory kinda gal. :blush:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I'd like to reduce my sugar consumption to fight inflammation (big issue for me) and overall I know I could do it buuut...coffee. I love coffee with sweetened creamer and I can't go black (I've gone and it is possible to go back...to creamered, lol) but I don't want to go artificial and it seems like those rawer, more natural sugars don't cause flaring issues as agressively...apparently...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I'd like to reduce my sugar consumption to fight inflammation (big issue for me) and overall I know I could do it buuut...coffee. I love coffee with sweetened creamer and I can't go black (I've gone and it is possible to go back...to creamered, lol) but I don't want to go artificial and it seems like those rawer, more natural sugars don't cause flaring issues as agressively...apparently...

That's why my (now ex) husband loved agave nectar. He has diverticulitis and it really helped him a lot. He also avoids most breads, bread crumbs and things like that.
    Foods he flourished on were rice, beans, chili, and cornbread. Those were staples in our diet for a long time until things got better under control. He also avoided nuts of all kinds. Although now, 1.5 years later, he can eat almonds without a problem.
    NO cokes/sodas, no sweet iced tea, no sweetened juices. He avoided gluten where he could and after doing that for a bit slowly introduced new things into his diet. He can now have certain brands of wheat noodles.
    He could have dairy but certain brands upset his stomach more than others, so pay attention to that too.

I have an allergy to gin but I can have one gin martini made with Tanqueray 10 with no problem. I can NOT have Bombay Sapphire gin or I will get seriously ill. So brands matter.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    My common-law-step-daddy has diverticulitis and he avoids none of those! I know he can't have popcorn though, that does cause him issues...and he loves it. Pobrecito.

Yup...that is all of the stuff that I've read up on...cheese will be supremely difficult for me too. :'( I could eat the shizz outta some beans/rice and cornbread though!!!

Gin, huh? Interesting. I can't say I have any food allergies that I know of but I can't digest cucumber properly. I burp it up for days. I still eat it anyway. For a few years I couldn't eat steak. I'd eat a steak and couldn't shizz for days at a time. Felt sick like it was rotting in my tum. I learned over time I could eat fully cooked beef but rare caused me trouble. Eventually I started toying with how rare I could eat it and over time I could handle it as rare as I'd like. No issues at all anymore...then again I only eat a steak maybe a handful of times a year.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Looks like that runny nose is turning into something a bit more serious...#ohno!
  • jennifer_417
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So that little runny nose I was nursing last night has turn into a full-blown plague, it seems. Anyone wanna cover the rest of my shift for me?
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    seems like just about everyone i know right now is a snot factory...do you have forced air heat where you live?
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Finally getting over mine. Sleep really helps. Thank good for two days off coming up tomorrow.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    We do have forced air here, I am practically hugging the space heater as I type this. And, too bad I won't get a chance to rest until well into tomorrow afternoon...boo!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Ocky. I feel terrible for you...but please...don't breathe near us.

Left my phone at home. I'm going to have to figure out how to instagram on a laptop...weird.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Finally was able to fit in this cute green wool pea coat I bought & wore years ago...and apparently my wool allergy has cropped back up. My neck, chest & chin line have all become itchy & broken out. What a bummer. My fiance is glad that I can't sport it anymore...he says it looks like I skinned Kermit to make a coat. He's right but I still love that coat.
  • hamptontom
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ...he says it looks like I skinned Kermit to make a coat. He's right but I still love that coat.

this kind of stuff typically interests NO ONE, but being ridiculously nostalgic, i know stuff like this -

The earliest trace of Kermit first appeared in 1955 on WRC-TV's Sam and Friends. This prototype Kermit was created from a discarded spring coat belonging to Henson's mother and two ping pong ball halves for eyes...

just thought you might be interested, under the circumstances. :)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I watched a show on PBS about Jim Henson!!!! I knew that!!!! I love useless trivia and tidbits and documentaries.
  • iafunegurl
    iafunegurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl. Wassup?
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    ...he says it looks like I skinned Kermit to make a coat. He's right but I still love that coat.

this kind of stuff typically interests NO ONE, but being ridiculously nostalgic, i know stuff like this -

The earliest trace of Kermit first appeared in 1955 on WRC-TV's Sam and Friends. This prototype Kermit was created from a discarded spring coat belonging to Henson's mother and two ping pong ball halves for eyes...

just thought you might be interested, under the circumstances. :)

I love learning about all kinds of things!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    So...this headache will NOT go away. I am leaning towards seeing a chiropractor again. For some reason it seems to help. Don't really know why... But the sniffles are gone and so is the sinus pressure and the sneezing!
    Stupid carpet needs to die in a fire because that's where I will be working on Friday and Saturday. :dizzy:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Thank heavens for a slow night tonight. Catching up on tasks that have been pushed aside. Like putting the door back on the supply cabinet. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Ocky. I feel terrible for you...but please...don't breathe near us.

Left my phone at home. I'm going to have to figure out how to instagram on a laptop...weird.

Believe me, I'm bathing in hand sanitizer and trying not to breathe on anything. I don't want anyone else to feel this blegh!
    I deleted IG off my phone in an effort to spend less time staring at my phone screen, but yeah, it's weird on a laptop, and I haven't tried to load any photos since I did that.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    EVERYBODY at work has had it, or is in the middle of it, and my son and his mom got it while they were visiting over the holidays...but I seem to have skirted around it so far. If it's coming for me, I hope it waits until Friday so I can revel in being sick in front of the TV for the weekend.

and yeah, Jim Henson and Mister Rogers are big-time heroes of mine. they manufactured a lot of smiles.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I just can't believe I can't shake this stuff! I thought after sleeping today I would feel better but my head is still plugged! I'm about to put myself on a Z Pack.