Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Update on PIppin(bunny):

A stray dog wandered into our yard. We'd seen him around the neighborhood and knew it was only a matter of time before he showed up in our yard. We called the animal shelter and took him in and then my mother casually asked if we knew of a place where we could take a wild cottontail baby.

Turns out one of the women who started working at the shelter is a wild life rehabilitator/rescuer!
    Her name is Natalie and she specializes in birds and raptors, but she knows someone who specializes in small mammals and said she will happily take Pippin to her.
    Pippin had maintained weight this morning (even though he pooped and peed) and then gained weight by this afternoon. Natalie was pretty impressed with that, and said he had a good chance as long as he doesn't get too stressed from the change in handlers.

So now Pippin has a real shot at recovery.

In some sad news: Acacia, one of my ferrets, had a really bad seizure this morning. She's had one before but this one really took a toll on her and I think it is nearing time for me to end her suffering. I'm super sad mostly because I don't want Carmella to be alone again, but I also know I have to do what is best for Acacia.
    I'm going to monitor her for the next several days and see how she does. She's over 7 years old, which is a pretty good span for a ferret. She has had 6 years with me and that is a lot of time for dooking, sock stashing, and stuffie snatching. She's had a good run, so if it's really time, I wont feel too bad about it as far as her moving on. I will feel bad for Carmella because these will be my last two ferrets for a while, so I wont be getting her a new buddy.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym...does that count?
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird I love your ferret's names. And while I'm sad to hear it may be coming to the end of a great run for Acacia and that Carmella might be alone for a while I agree with you on not letting an animal suffer. I sincerely hope it's not quite time and that ya'll get to share some more fun memories. As for the bunny and coincidental rehabber, that's awesome! We had an extended family member that rehabbed a raccoon and possum. She did it illegally and ended up getting them taken away when she knew and admitted she could've just as easily left them safely with the rehabber in another state but that's a story for another day. And yeah @jennifer_417 it should count, afterall you were working out in the gym right?
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    @LacednLace - Dean.
    @lilaclovebird - Way to go on the bunny. Sorry about the ferret. It doesn't have an insulinoma does it?
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @LacednLace - Dean.
    @lilaclovebird - Way to go on the bunny. Sorry about the ferret. It doesn't have an insulinoma does it?
    @sufferlandrian She might but she hasn't been diagnosed because I'm a lot more poor than I thought I would be post divorce. (Thanks ex husband) Which means no money for the vet. :cry:
    I have been caring for her as if she does, because my other ferret, Volibear, had it. I've closely monitored her diet, tried to make sure that she eats well and often, but I can only do so much. It just makes me so sad.
  • LacednLace
    Options
    Well guys, with everything going on at home, I missed a Spanish Test. It was available for late submission.....So I just finished it and got a 97%. The messed up part? Getting a zero anyway. I get not allowing late submissions....but remove the assignment if you're going to take away the opportunity. It was my own fault. *Sigh*. I'm trying here.
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »
    Well guys, with everything going on at home, I missed a Spanish Test. It was available for late submission.....So I just finished it and got a 97%. The messed up part? Getting a zero anyway. I get not allowing late submissions....but remove the assignment if you're going to take away the opportunity. It was my own fault. *Sigh*. I'm trying here.

I remember a lot of this and writing letters to professors and pleading during my divorce. Eventually, my biology professor let me know too little too late that I could take the final. By then I was 6 and a half hours away back home with my parents in Bastrop.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I usually cut my students going through divorce some slack. Some just had nasty "You owe me" attitudes and I knew why they were getting divorced so I wouldn't cut them any slack but it's worth a try.
  • LacednLace
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »

I remember a lot of this and writing letters to professors and pleading during my divorce. Eventually, my biology professor let me know too little too late that I could take the final. By then I was 6 and a half hours away back home with my parents in Bastrop.

That's awful! I'm sorry to hear that happened.

@sufferlandrian He's the type that gave me a zero on 2 assignments I did and he said he couldn't see them so I needed to send proof. I sent multiple screenshots and he claimed they were too big or unreadable that id just have to take the zero since those assignments "aren't worth much your grade anyway" I don't care, every little bit counts and I did the assignment. Sadly I don't think he'll be cutting me any slack. But I emailed him this evening. So fingers crossed. I'm hoping he'll be somewhat understanding but I didn't waste my breath explaining the drama at home or that my ex has boxed up my textbooks somewhere. Instead im just doing the best I can. I do however have one other professor that seems to be understanding that i'll be calling this week to explain the textbook issue (because you can't do assignments without it) and see if he will work with me. My other two classes are criminal justice based and I've been able to wing it based off material from previous courses and my current knowledge (thankfully!)
  • sufferlandrian
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Too bad. I really dislike toilet paper professors. You know the type. You feel like you need toilet paper any time you've been around them because you were too close to an 8$$h0le.
  • LacednLace
    Options
    Yeah but in all fairness he may have had toilet paper students too. Its my personal issues at home causing the late assignments but his negligence and lack of concern causing the other issues. So I'm just going to do my best to keep working hard and push through. What all do you teach?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I used to teach Anatomy and Physiology. I'm an ER veterinarian for my regular job. I was teaching to supplement my income during my divorce. There were some really great students in that class. I taught Biology for a couple terms until they found another biology teacher but it wasn't as fun. A lot of biology students are only taking it to meet requirements. They are more likely to try to cheat their way through the class. The A&P students were taking it to get in to Medical, Nursing and Veterinary school. They really wanted to learn and it was a lot of fun. The administrative side was a pain. You want to grade a certain way and the school insists you grade their way, which I didn't think was as appropriate for an advanced course like A&P as it was for a beginner level course like Biology 101.
  • LacednLace
    Options
    Interesting. How did admin expect you to grade?
  • sufferlandrian
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You had to have a midterm and a final exam and they set the minimum percentage each had to be of your total grade. I don't like big final exams that are worth 50% of your grade. I prefer weekly tests that make up a smaller amount. It keeps students studying instead of cramming and it takes a lot of the pressure off the student so those that get nervous on tests can still perform well. We had to have a mid term worth 30% of the grade and a final worth 40% of the grade. Quizzes or participation could make up the remaining 30%. I decided to work around the big test as best I could. They were eight week courses so I had a quiz each week worth 5% and then the two big tests were made up of questions from the quizzes plus 5 new questions. The students liked that a lot since they knew what to study for when it came to the big exams.
  • LacednLace
    Options
    That's a great way to work around it and keep everyone working together. You're absolutely right, better to have people consistently learning and retaining material rather than panicking about a huge exam and failing after so much hard work or not participating all semester then cramming just to pass.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    If the point of college is to teach and learn, then why do we make it so hard to do both?

I've got a dog in tonight that ate something that is blocking the stomach. The owners don't want to do surgery here so we are keeping him comfortable and stable until he can go to his regular vet in the morning. Guess that means I didn't bring enough food. I'm running to the store. Anyone want anything? :smile:
  • LacednLace
    Options
    If the point of college is to teach and learn, then why do we make it so hard to do both?

I've got a dog in tonight that ate something that is blocking the stomach. The owners don't want to do surgery here so we are keeping him comfortable and stable until he can go to his regular vet in the morning. Guess that means I didn't bring enough food. I'm running to the store. Anyone want anything? :smile:

Hm does the store sell miracle or money trees? Lol. Seriously though, I'm not a vet so will you explain to me what can happen to the dog?
  • LacednLace
    Options
    Let me rephrase because that probably sounded like a really dumb question, does the dog need surgery to remove the blockage or will waiting for their regular vet and doing something else possibly remove the blockage? Will the dog be safe and make it if they're waiting instead of having it removed now. Can it cause more damage?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You never know exactly what will happen. Based off the x-rays we've been taking since 10 PM last night, I think he has a very good chance of doing well waiting for his regular vet. If it's something wedged in the intestines cutting off the blood supply then he isn't going to do well. They'll have to take part of the intestines out which is a high risk surgery. Most likely he will do well and they have a very good regular vet. I'm not that concerned about waiting until morning. I've got another one in we took to surgery tonight for the same problems and it turned out to have a dead section of intestines. I'm glad the owners didn't wait on that one.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird -sorry to hear about your ferret-hope he recovers!
    @LacednLace -ugh, douchy profs who don't know how to use technology are the worst! Maybe he'll have more compassion if you explain your situation to him a bit more?
    @sufferlandrian -hope everything goes ok for that puppy!
    As for me, I'm BUSY! But keeping my head above water...