Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Well, it happened.

On the 5th of October I came home from shopping with my mother to find Akacia having a seizure in the litter box. I knew this was it. She was done. She was too good of a ferret to suffer through one more, so I took her in to the vet and they made her comfortable and she made her journey to The Rainbow Bridge.

I miss her so much and seeing Carmella all alone breaks my heart.
    Anyway, we brought her home and buried her between three trees, by the gully, near the edge of the yard where we keep the grass long for the deer to bed down their fawns.

Akacia sleeping in her hammock
    2jptiqikvf2r.jpg
    My little sock thief!
    ql7wbsfns5so.jpg
    Carmella and Akacia together(my miracle photo because ferrets NEVER hold still) :love:
    tu70jd9dbl6o.jpg

My mother and I went to a craft store and got some materials to make a marker for where she is buried. The letters are crooked and the glitter was more prevalent than I really wanted... but I made it, so it has more meaning for me. I found making it to be a more cathartic process than crying, though I'm still doing a lot of that.

huffvdq96v6p.jpg

bydvoxhujx3l.jpg

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is the song of my people. I am not a nightshifter, I suffer from insomnia. Take care all
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Hey Lilac, I'm really sorry for your loss. Nothing will ever take her place, but I hope time makes it easier to deal with.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird -so sorry! I wish there was something I could do to make it easier.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird I'm sorry she crossed over. I think her marker is lovely :heart:
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird Sorry about your loss.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I hate when I get stumped on a case.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Not that I can add anything, but what type of critter today?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I hate when I get stumped on a case.

I'm sure the pet parents aren't thrilled with you being stumped either...

Must be frustrating. Any ideas? What are the symptoms?
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm flabbergasted at the amount of people that were out and about yesterday. During a hurricane that we knew was coming. Some were driving around in the middle of it just to see the damage. They must be a special kind of stupid I swear.

I stayed at my PD last night so I had to run to Walmart for cheap bedding and a pillow. It was kind of busy; people were doing their grocery shopping like nothing was going on. I'm guessing these were the same people that had been calling us, asking for directions to get somewhere bc the roads they usually took, were blocked off.

I was already jaded about society and it's lack of common sense and the ability of people to handle problems themselves, be self-sustaining. After yesterday, I'm absolutely convinced that we, as a society, are f*cking doomed.

I have 10 hours to go, I just want this day to be done.

**We actually had someone call and want the FD to come cut down a tree in her yard bc she was afraid it may fall. And another call bc a tree fell across her driveway (not the rdway) and wanted the FD to come remove it for her**
  • BodyByBex
    Options

**We actually had someone call and want the FD to come cut down a tree in her yard bc she was afraid it may fall. And another call bc a tree fell across her driveway (not the rdway) and wanted the FD to come remove it for her**

Uhm...no. You deal with that crap YOURSELF after the hurricane is gone. Lazy, stupid POS.... :grumble:
  • sufferlandrian
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @TK6299 - A German shorthair in a lot of pain and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Now today he is unable to walk normally. He is getting neurologic on me.

@bethanie0825 - I spent some time in Hurricane country. It doesn't break my heart to not have to deal with that anymore. I swear if I took one more call about needing us to come to their house to help "Fifi" because they couldn't get out of their house. If they can't get out, what makes them think I can get in. Not to mention, if I leave my patients to go take care of FiFi, who takes care of my patients? Most of them didn't care about my current patients. They just wanted FiFi taken care of. I had a gal one night that was giving the receptionist hell because I wouldn't get on phone to talk to her. I had a gunshot dog, a dog with an open abdomen and a dog that was hit by a bus. I finally got on the phone and told her she was going to have to pick which dog I was going to let die since I couldn't treat them all and talk to her at the same time. She got all indignant and said, "Well, you don't have to be rude!" and hung up.
  • Ayre42
    Ayre42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happy to discuss anything with fellow MyFitnessPal members especially as i work night shifts myself in the security sector. Check out my profile if your interested in engaging in intelligent conversation.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @TK6299 - A German shorthair in a lot of pain and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Now today he is unable to walk normally. He is getting neurologic on me.

@bethanie0825 - I spent some time in Hurricane country. It doesn't break my heart to not have to deal with that anymore. I swear if I took one more call about needing us to come to their house to help "Fifi" because they couldn't get out of their house. If they can't get out, what makes them think I can get in. Not to mention, if I leave my patients to go take care of FiFi, who takes care of my patients? Most of them didn't care about my current patients. They just wanted FiFi taken care of. I had a gal one night that was giving the receptionist hell because I wouldn't get on phone to talk to her. I had a gunshot dog, a dog with an open abdomen and a dog that was hit by a bus. I finally got on the phone and told her she was going to have to pick which dog I was going to let die since I couldn't treat them all and talk to her at the same time. She got all indignant and said, "Well, you don't have to be rude!" and hung up.

The bolded. So much.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    There are days when I feel like I'm a great vet. There are days when I wonder if I just dreamed I graduated. Still early today but I'm leaning towards got my license from a cracker jack box. Made me feel better than the other vet is stumped too. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So far, the night is going well. Even the cancer dog is doing better tonight.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    So far, the night is going well. Even the cancer dog is doing better tonight.

YAY!

Tonight is easy for me.

I'm watching SSP's dogs this week while he's with his parents, sister, Brother-in-law, and nephew at Disney World in Florida. He should be back on Saturday.

In the meantime we also have this big fundraising auction on Saturday which means Friday night I'll be at the auction house all night instead of my campuses, which is stressful for me. I'll be there for 14 hours, which is 6 hours longer than a normal shift, ALSO stressful for me. I have no idea where I'm going to put my food that I'm going to need, but I'm thinking a cooler in the back of my car since I'll have access to my car all night.

So we'll just pile all that on top of upper management finally finding out about SSP and I having a previous dating relationship and wanting to 'manage the relationship properly'. It's already been established that we're currently just friends and I watch his dogs when he's out of town in exchange for Chipotle, Whataburger, and playful insults. :tongue:
    However, now the Assistant Chief, Captain, and Lieutenant are all considering having me move shifts(which is what I want ANYWAY but...) so that we could continue our 'relationship', which SSP thought was interesting. He thinks that they want him to find a partner so he'll stop exhibiting 'behaviors of concern', which I think is hilarious because his dark humor is something that I like about him. We're both willing to give it another shot as long as we aren't violating policy, but I am not really into someone other than us 'managing' our relationship.

I wouldn't move shifts just to have a relationship with a guy anyway. Catering my whole life to someone else isn't my style anymore. I have OTHER reasons for wanting to move to EVENING shift specifically and while getting to date SSP without violating policy IS one of them, it's not one of the main reasons.
    The main reason is my family, I want to be awake when they are. I want to be able to see them more than just two days a week. I want to be able to spend time with them and not worry about having to be in bed and asleep at a certain time to be able to wake up rested enough for work.
    Another reason is my education. It will be easier to go to morning classes if I don't have to rush changing out of my uniform and driving to the campus.
    Last, but not least, it will be easier for me to simply HAVE A LIFE outside of work. I can make more real life friends and go to the mall or get coffee with them, and not be overly tired on my days off. As it stands now, I only see my one friend Alycia every 3 months or so because that is when I am able to get 3 days off in a row and get enough sleep to not be SUPER EXHAUSTED while making the drive into, and out of, Austin.

Nobody needs another car accident because of a tired nightshifter...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sounds like all good reasons to change shifts. I have to confess I took night shifts so I didn't have to have a social life. :smile: It hasn't worked out that way. I have a fair number of riding buddies, but they are all online and most are from England so we are up at the same time. :wink:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Sounds like all good reasons to change shifts. I have to confess I took night shifts so I didn't have to have a social life. :smile: It hasn't worked out that way. I have a fair number of riding buddies, but they are all online and most are from England so we are up at the same time. :wink:

I think my greatest frustration right now is people on day shift (0700-1500) complaining about how they can't have a social life because they work Fridays and Saturdays.
    PUH-LEEZ!

I try explaining "You think THAT is hard, try having a life while working nigh shift!"
    They throw out: "Oh yeah. I did that for a few months."
    I just shut up at that point because I want to scream: I'M 27 AND I'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR 2 YEARS! I have ONE friend outside this job and I almost NEVER get to see her! I get 2 days off a week and sometimes less because you DAYSHIFTERS like to call out with NO NOTICE!
    In addition, YOUR shift gets 2 actual WHOLE days off. My days off start with me already being at work in the morning on the first day because I worked the night before.

Some days, it takes all I have not to tear into people about it when Wednesday morning rolls around. They'll say "Well at least you're off tonight."
    Yeah only because I was already here all last night and here this morning. At least on your days off you don't have to be here, at ALL. My days off start with me already BEING HERE. I only get ONE FULL DAY where I'm not at work, everyone else gets two!

I would LOVE to work days(0700-1500) or evenings(1500-2300) and have ANY days off Sunday-Thursday because you CAN go out with friends on those nights. You don't HAVE to drink to have a good time AND not everyone works a Mon.-Fri. 9-5 job.
    Some people would prefer Wednesdays and Thursdays off because there are a BUNCH of Working Women's Wednesdays things happening. Or some people like the Sunday and Monday off option. I really like either because it's close to Tuesday where we're always doubled up on shifts, so I can take Tuesdays off for an extra day in row.

I guess you could say I'm a LEEEETTTLE frustrated....

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My pet peeve at the moment is parents who say things like, "Wait till you have kids!" or, "You don't have kids, do you?" Like somehow being a parent automatically gives them the moral high ground, and nothing is ever hard or painful unless there are children involved, and everyone else's argument is simply invalid unless they are parents. It's also ridiculously insensitive to those who can't have kids, and they tend to say it APROPOS OF NOTHING! Like, no one was even talking about children, what's your problem?!

Anyway, that's my soapbox issue for today.