Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius - I know! Some one asked the other day what to do at night here. I could only answer with, "Well, I haven't been to the bars in 15 years, I can't tell you how late restaurants are open and I'm not sure what movies are playing. However, if you want to know what time Nickle Charlie's is open in the morning I can tell you that." :smile:
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    does not work that way in UK.....we are British....everyone is tucked up in bed by 10pm every nihgt...unless you work...its the law....lol...

The thing I find is people do not comprehend the fact I sleep during the day.....I have 2 people that no matter how many time I tell them that I sleep from 10am to 7pm (if lucky) they will still ring me between them times......if they wake me they get offended when I give it them both barrels.....and I am nasty when woken....lol.....but they continue to do it still.......I also have a gardener.....I tell him not to come to my house after 12pm......every week he comes at 2 or 3 pm to mow my lawn........He has a shock coming....my other half has also started nights now too.....and if she tells him once not to come....then he does.....she will hurt him physically.....lol
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    does not work that way in UK.....we are British....everyone is tucked up in bed by 10pm every nihgt...unless you work...its the law....lol...

The thing I find is people do not comprehend the fact I sleep during the day.....I have 2 people that no matter how many time I tell them that I sleep from 10am to 7pm (if lucky) they will still ring me between them times......if they wake me they get offended when I give it them both barrels.....and I am nasty when woken....lol.....but they continue to do it still.......I also have a gardener.....I tell him not to come to my house after 12pm......every week he comes at 2 or 3 pm to mow my lawn........He has a shock coming....my other half has also started nights now too.....and if she tells him once not to come....then he does.....she will hurt him physically.....lol

I need a sign for my yard that says "Day sleeper. Solicitors will be eaten!"
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I sleep from about 2 P.M. to 9 P.M. I can't use my earplugs at first because I go to bed when my kid naps but when my fiance comes home and into our room for the monitor at 3:30, it wakes me and I put in earplugs. Luckily, once the plugs are in...I rarely hear anything nowadays. We've had two neighbors over the years and both we had problems with their dogs barking. The first couple had their dog on a leash (if left not leashed in the yard he would jump fence) not more than 15 feet from my pillow to his yapping face and let him bark for HOURS on end (no exaggeration). I asked them nicely many times to bring the dog in when he was barking. They would at first and slowly the time would increase. One day I had had it while trying to sleep. I went over there barefoot (there was snow on the ground), braless and wild-haired and kinda flipped out. They moved a month later. Then the 2nd neighbors moved in and whenever they put their dog out in the yard and she would bark her face off at everything. I spoke with them about me working third shift and they bought a shock collar. But when they left for the day, they would leave their windows open and take the collar off and ALL day I could hear her barking IN her house like she was in MY house! So I called the police, twice. They have since kept the windows shut and built a gate to keep her in the back yard (where she doesn't bark as much). We have a dog and he likes to bark at any person who isn't a resident of our street or our regular mailman but the MINUTE we hear him, he gets called inside! If baffles me when people let their dogs act like that...even if you aren't being considerate of shift workers...be considerate of your neighbors in general! No one wants to hear an incessantly barking dog!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Woot! Just broke a phone slamming it down so hard!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Dude. I hope they don't take that out of your pay.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    Woot! Just broke a phone slamming it down so hard!

Got a couple of new pics for you mate.....(found these on Google for you...)

One is a sign for your office door.......one is a new profile pic for you.....lol...

dbams7jdwtmb.png
    of76bo223fub.png
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I get one night off and now I'm wanting more. I was fine while I didn't get a break. I had a taste of what it's like not to work and I'm addicted. It's like meth only better for you. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I get one night off and now I'm wanting more. I was fine while I didn't get a break. I had a taste of what it's like not to work and I'm addicted. It's like meth only better for you. :smile:

After tonight, I get (hopefully) TWO nights off! I'm so excited I could pee myself!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL. :smile: I can relate. :smile:
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Well, Nightshifters, I am back on evenings 12p-8p, but having a hard time with that so I guess I still belong here until I adjust.

I can relate to all the neighbor trouble, my neighbors driveway is RIGHT by my room, not even 15 feet and they like to rev motorcycles at all hours!! They are nightshifters so I would have thought they would be more considerate. Nope. They go out there at 9:30am, and wake me up as soon as it is nice enough to ride! It is like 30 minutes too, not easy to ignore! Weekends, it can be anytime, they are out there noisy at any time!

They also have a small dog, not sure of breed, that literally barks all day and night if they are not home or attending to it! It is inside, and I can hear it inside MY house with all windows closed!! It also barks its little face off outside! My dog is in the minute he doesn't listen when I tell him enough! It is just inconsiderate whether it is you sleeping, a baby napping or just general irritation to hear that all day! My dog luckily usually is a "Hey! You didn't come see me!!" barker. So he is easy to quiet. The aggressive and anxious ones I understand are harder but really?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I am planning on a night hike, weather permitting of course, for tomorrow night. The first and last time I went was with a 'complication' and now that I am complication-free I plan on making new memories of that place that don't include him. :smiley:

Afterwards, I am going to play some WoW.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I wish! I've tried to tell people for years that you should have to have a license to own a pet or have kids but I always get outvoted. I do like your idea of taking him behind the woodshed for a little wood plank education on proper etiquette. :wink:

The license should be for the animals. At least Child Protective will step in if you are a horrible parent. The animal abuse laws and enforcement are not enough at all!
  • cindytw
    Options
    @lilaclovebird, do you use a headlamp or what?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Got a dog in that got into a fight with the owners other dog. Now the first dog has a broken leg from where the second dog bit it so hard it fractured the limb. Both dogs are about 100 lbs so it's no small task to break the leg. It's the fourth time I've had the first dog in here for bite wounds from the other dog. I had to have the discussion about getting rid of the second dog. The husband wasn't very happy.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    @fatjon73 yep, first one goes on the door.

It's 5:30am and just now checking in... one of those nights.

Amazing this system runs at all with so many broken trains that they just flat out refuse to fix because it requires someone in the responsible departments to do actual work!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

If the weather is nice and the moon hasn't waned too much, I won't. If it's too cloudy/rainy, I will simply not go. I look for warm, lightly breezy nights for things like that and hopefully I will do it EARLY in the morning and catch the sunrise.

Sadly, we are losing 7 of our chimps today. It's a mixed bag. On the ONE hand, they are going to Chimp Haven, which is good! On the other hand, they won't be here with us anymore. :(
  • fatjon73
    Options

If the weather is nice and the moon hasn't waned too much, I won't. If it's too cloudy/rainy, I will simply not go. I look for warm, lightly breezy nights for things like that and hopefully I will do it EARLY in the morning and catch the sunrise.

Sadly, we are losing 7 of our chimps today. It's a mixed bag. On the ONE hand, they are going to Chimp Haven, which is good! On the other hand, they won't be here with us anymore. :(

Why are you losing them??? Not sure on the reason for having them in the first place......but why 7 at one go?? are they research Chimps?? that have come to the end of usefulness??? can they not be homed in a park or such instead of being "lost" I presume you mean put to sleep???
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

Why are you losing them??? Not sure on the reason for having them in the first place......but why 7 at one go?? are they research Chimps?? that have come to the end of usefulness??? can they not be homed in a park or such instead of being "lost" I presume you mean put to sleep???

Oh no no no! In fact all of our chimps are not researched on here unless it is purely behavioral. They are going to "Chimp Haven" not "Chimp Heaven" it's like a wild life preserve for chimps.

Many of our chimps were taken from research facilities where they were put through medical research and harmed physically and psychologically. Some were even circus performers or kept as pets. Here they have outside areas where they play in dirt and grass and we do our best to socialize and care for them ideally until their dying days. But when openings happen at Chimp Haven we gladly send our most elderly or the ones with the most social issues to live a more free life.

Some of our chimps from being out in the Texas sun have developed skin cancer and they receive some treatments here. We have some that were infected in labs with HIV or Hepatitis that we care for here that wouldn't have a home anywhere else.

Our chimps are well taken care of and very enriched with toys, climbing areas and much more. The worst/best part I think is that they eat WAY better than I do. We get big 18 wheeler produce trucks here twice a week for deliveries!

They are like family members to many of our techs and doctors here so it is a sad time, but we know they will be well taken care of at Chimp Haven.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    @fatjon73 yep, first one goes on the door.

It's 5:30am and just now checking in... one of those nights.

Amazing this system runs at all with so many broken trains that they just flat out refuse to fix because it requires someone in the responsible departments to do actual work!

Trains as in locomotives or Trains as in subway?