What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• rostraqueen
    Options
    For things I eat on a regular basis, I try to chose ones with natural ingredients where possible (so avoiding additives like artificial colours, flavours and preservatives) - it's just a personal thing, it probably has no effect on weight loss, but if my body doesn't need those things then I might as well go for the one with less ingredients, keep it simple. And it's not because I think they're "bad", I do eat things with additives but, just once in a while rather than all the time. Personal choice.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're asking here. A good diet consisting of a calorie deficit and enough protein, combined with strength training, will make your fat melt away while retaining your lean mass. You will get a flat stomach if you get your body fat low.

Aspartame and HFCS and whatever other ingredients you think are bad or scary or whatever have nothing to do with it. Look at my diary. I'm bulking right now, but go back to the period between February and august to see how I eat while cutting. Plenty of fast food and ice cream, and plenty of diet soda (though I don't log that).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23850261

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

This is what I am referring to when I am mentioning "studies" on aspartame.

Full text:

http://www.wnho.net/artificial_sweeteners_produce_counterintuitive_effect.pdf

Check out the concluding remarks. Basically, they may lead to increased consumption when eating ad lib and therefore to obesity and therefore to increased health risks. Not relevant for people tracking food unless it causes them to not be able to adhere. For many, it actually helps adherence.

I creeped your page :X kudos you look great!!! Can I ask a personal question. Why do you eat clean if non of this matters? I am not being sassy I am curious.....

Where did you get the impression that I ate clean?

Whoops I didnt read your whole profile. I stopped at that sentence. My bad. Either way you look amazing so whatever your doing stick to it. Your stomach is my goal. I have never had a "flat" stomach so its unrealistic but still my goal.

It's entirely realistic. My stomach wasn't flat until I made it that way. Same with Sara I believe. Aspartame hasn't kept me from hitting 10% body fat.

Do you argue with me just to argue? I was 114 at one point. I am 5'1 and have a small torso. Its smooshed!! I am going to humor you: how did you do this? If you can make this happen I will send you a gift via email You seem like a man of principle so I think a good "you told you so" would be just as good.

Strength training combined with a proper calorie/macro oriented diet.
  • melissalatzel24
    Options
    ugh i wish people were more supportive and helpful instead of trying to tear apart anything "wrong" someone says.
    what about maltodextrin, try research if its bad ( i recently heard something about it)

and i think I've read a few times anything with an E is not natural and better left out.....
    im just suggesting but im not saying im correct before you all jump on me.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The fresher it is, the better it will be for you. I try to consume Organic (don't want to ingest pesticides, etc) and Non GMO (genetically modified). Typically anything that has come out of a lab I limit!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    ugh i wish people were more supportive and helpful instead of trying to tear apart anything "wrong" someone says.
    what about maltodextrin, try research if its bad ( i recently heard something about it)

and i think I've read a few times anything with an E is not natural and better left out.....

Maltodextrin is fine.

Anything with an e? What does that mean?
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

((SNIFFLE)) :cry: Thank you. This has been the most stressful post I have ever took part in.
  • wheird
    Options

((SNIFFLE)) :cry: Thank you. This has been the most stressful post I have ever took part in.

No one started tearing you apart until you started calling people rude.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

Full text:

Check out the concluding remarks. Basically, they may lead to increased consumption when eating ad lib and therefore to obesity and therefore to increased health risks. Not relevant for people tracking food unless it causes them to not be able to adhere. For many, it actually helps adherence.

I creeped your page :X kudos you look great!!! Can I ask a personal question. Why do you eat clean if non of this matters? I am not being sassy I am curious.....

Whoops I didnt read your whole profile. I stopped at that sentence. My bad. Either way you look amazing so whatever your doing stick to it. Your stomach is my goal. I have never had a "flat" stomach so its unrealistic but still my goal.

It's entirely realistic. My stomach wasn't flat until I made it that way. Same with Sara I believe. Aspartame hasn't kept me from hitting 10% body fat.

Do you argue with me just to argue? I was 114 at one point. I am 5'1 and have a small torso. Its smooshed!! I am going to humor you: how did you do this? If you can make this happen I will send you a gift via email You seem like a man of principle so I think a good "you told you so" would be just as good.

Look guys I do have a good diet and I do everything: I do yoga, circuits, interval training, strength training, etc. I have trainers ask me to be a trainer on a daily basis. My stomach is just not a normal shape, My fupa area is completely flat and I have a tire (maybe its skin) under the belly button. When I was at my thinnest it got smaller but never got a toned look. Even at a twirpy 10 I had it. So when I say that its not like I am not trying.
  • wheird
    Options

Water
    Apple
    Orange
    Chicken
    Beef
    Beans
    Wheat
    Rice
    Sweet Potatoes

Need I go on or can we all agree that what was said is silly?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You never got a toned look because you weren't doing effective strength training or your protein intake was insufficient. You need muscles to look toned. Getting smaller but not tones is the hallmark of losing lean mass.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • wheird
    Options

Full text:

Look guys I do have a good diet and I do everything: I do yoga, circuits, interval training, strength training, etc. I have trainers ask me to be a trainer on a daily basis. My stomach is just not a normal shape, My fupa area is completely flat and I have a tire (maybe its skin) under the belly button. When I was at my thinnest it got smaller but never got a toned look. Even at a twirpy 10 I had it. So when I say that its not like I am not trying.

If you want to believe that then...well...*shrug* not much that anyone can do. And I do not really care enough to try to tell you that you are wrong.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

No one started tearing you apart until you started calling people rude.

Well people were and I felt attacked.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Full text:

If you want to believe that then...well...*shrug* not much that anyone can do. And I do not really care enough to try to tell you that you are wrong.

ugh ok then why are you even commenting?
  • wheird
    Options
    You never got a toned look because you weren't doing effective strength training or your protein intake was insufficient. You need muscles to look toned. Getting smaller but not tones is the hallmark of losing lean mass.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Her protein intake goal is set to 35g and is sporadic at best.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Read this:

Ans what evidence are you basing this on? Everything else looked great. Arms, legs, etc. I am naturally muscular and had a body builder father who stressed protein.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The fresher it is, the better it will be for you. I try to consume Organic (don't want to ingest pesticides, etc) and Non GMO (genetically modified). Typically anything that has come out of a lab I limit!

But there are pesticides in organic food.

"Contrary to what most people believe, "organic" does not automatically mean "pesticide-free" or "chemical-free". In fact, under the laws of most states, organic farmers are allowed to use a wide variety of chemical sprays and powders on their crops."

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html
  • wheird
    Options

Full text:

ugh ok then why are you even commenting?

At this point, since you have already shown you will not listen to anyone, I am here for the amusement of seeing what misinformation will be posted next.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Read this:

Her protein intake goal is set to 35g and is sporadic at best.

I am assuming you were looking at mt diary. I just started logging my food. This is week 1. If you don't care why are you bothering looking at that...?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Read this:

Ans what evidence are you basing this on? Everything else looked great. Arms, legs, etc. I am naturally muscular and had a body builder father who stressed protein.

It's obvious to people who have seen it over and over. And as noted your protein intake is far below the level required to maintain muscle mass optimally.